BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

2 hours ago, KentExile said:

"Shoo in" - Its a horse racing term, like "Champing at the bit"

Sorry, I'm just being a pedant.  But we have to maintain standards or else there will shortly be mention of "catphrases", "damp squids" and the like 😉 

I stand corrected on the shoo - however the meaning is a sure fire winner or certainty.  In this context, players need to be a certainty for the first team -not possibles or also rans.

I'm gonna die on that hill 🤣 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Wigan can ask for whatever they want - they have a billionaire owner. 

Granted, he wants Wigan Athletic to wash it's own face because he only bought them to get his hands on the stadium for his Rugby League team, but still...

Asking and getting are 2 different things though. I could ask Kelly Brook nicely for a handjob, doesn't mean I'd get it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

I stand corrected on the shoo - however the meaning is a sure fire winner or certainty.  In this context, players need to be a certainty for the first team -not possibles or also rans.

I'm gonna die on that hill 🤣 

I agreed with your point, I was just being a pedantic tw@t for the lols 😉 

Edited by KentExile
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Are you annoyed that the manager you don't like because he says "you know" in his interviews has started well or something Eddie?

As for recruitment, just because the modern trend is to go down the DOF/Head Coach/ Data led approach that doesn't mean the standard of recruitment in general is any better than it was under the "old fashioned" approach. 

Regarding your first point: no, nothing to do with it. I'm not super impressed by the current reported transfer hold-ups or the insistence of - once again - turning this club into an old boys' club for pals of the manager (had enough of it under Mowbray).

Regarding your second point: what do the best clubs in the world do? As with any business, the idea should be to take inspiration from better-run organisations and replicate what they do. Are we trying to break the mold by remaining old fashioned? 

In response to both of your points: my feelings on the subjects are further strengthened by the fact that the current scouting and recruitment departments appear to have done a good job so far this summer. Far too early to qualify any of our summer signings as a success, but they are certainly showing early signs of promise.

The one's that aren't? The uninspiring signings that are either jobs for pals or from the same old lists we had hanging around from months ago.

29 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

jdt did give him a try out,but he also refused to play him when it became clear he was a non league player

'Refused' is a strong word. He didn't start. He was a squad player and was used at times. Eustace didn't use him even when we had no other options available.

9 minutes ago, Polky said:

Travers is definitely an upgrade on Pears, would be happy with that signing. Just a shame it’s a loan deal.

With hardly any days left in the window, I'm resigned to taking any upgrade on Pears. If it's a loan, so be it.

Not ideal and the club have been a massive joke not getting a new No.1 sorted by now.

That said, Travers would be a decent signing so let's hope it goes through. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

O’rourke has definitely regressed with regards to accurate transfer stories but hopefully this one is true.

Nixon linked him to Burnley, Pete to us. Pete has made some really good transfer clangers these past few weeks. Hope he’s right this time

Edited by Rover1984
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

He is definitely one of the worst out there at the moment. 

His Steve Bruce to take Reggae boys Job and I’m sure he got a player muddled up between Southampton and Portsmouth a few weeks back

Travers would be very good signing as keeper we could get whether its permanent deal or a loan. He is upgrade on Pears. 

6 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Didn’t Nixon say Burnley were linked only yesterday? Is O’rourke getting us mixed up or does Travers have very good taste.

Nicko did the story this morning that Strasbourg and Burnley were interested in him. Burnley's interest depends on Trafford leaving but also baring in mind they have already signed Hladky and Green this summer who are 2 keepers.  

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Travers would be very good signing as keeper we could get whether its permanent deal or a loan. He is upgrade on Pears. 

Nicko did the story this morning that Strasbourg and Burnley were interested in him. Burnley's interest depends on Trafford leaving but also baring in mind they have already signed Hladky and Green this summer who are 2 keepers.  

can`t see trafford leaving,his performances for burnley  have been embarassing ,the only way he leaves is in a massive loss because no one is going to pay even a quarter of the 20 million quid he cost