BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

Beck to me, looks more like a Gent/Brittain than a Pickering.  As in far better going forwards than defending.  

Beck does not look to have the tools to play the "Pickering role" (left back that inverts into left centre back)  and neither do any of our current right back options (as in right back that inverts into centre back)

So his signing seems a strange (possibly panic) choice, Unless Eustace is going to throw out his way of playing so far, or unless a right back who can play CB, and a left footed centre back are also brought in to enable Rovers to invert how they currently set up.   But as we are surely not expecting 3 players to be signed for defensive roles, it seems like a late panic signing, who is, at best, a better version of Gent rather than a genuine option

Edited by KentExile

7 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

I think most were hoping for an improvement on Pickering not a back up.   Pickering would be ok as a squad filler. 

We were told by Eustace that any signings need to be better than what we already have. 

We already had a young lad, who did ok in the SPL at left back.  Yet we sold him to Barnsley. 

May as well just have kept Gent. 

The only question then is whether the Liverpool lad is better than Gent. The answer from the scouts/coaches/recruitment team is a resounding yes.

• Like 1

Just now, KentExile said:

Beck to me, looks more like a Gent/Brittain than a Pickering.  As in far better going forwards than defending.  

Beck does not look to have the tools to play the "Pickering role" (left back that inverts into left centre back)  and neither do any of our current right back options.

So his signing seems a strange (possibly panic) choice, unless a right back who can play CB, and a left footed centre back are also brought in to enable Rovers to invert how they currently set up.   But as we are surely not expecting 3 players to be signed for defensive roles, it seems like a late panic signing, who is, at best, a better version of Gent rather than a genuine option

I think we will go 5 at the back against better teams

10 minutes ago, Roverthechimp said:

I think we will go 5 at the back against better teams

We essentially already play a back 3/5/call it what you will, when in possession 

If it is one of numerous (5-7)  signings to give us options, and a direct understudy/competition for Pickerings role is also brought in,  then I am all for it.  But that seems unlikely at best, 

If as suspected, this is one of 3-4 signings, then I worry that Rovers will be caught very short when injuries/suspensions kick in

Edited by KentExile
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

I hate to say it, because I want us to spend some money too…but why do people keep going on and on about us ‘banking £41m?”

The owners are £200m in, so it’s like having £2k on your credit card, paying £400 off and suddenly thinking you’re flush! 🤦🏽‍♂️🤣

This is the type of logic my wife would apply!

Because over the last 2 years we were told several times by several different club members that we needed to sell to generate a transfer kitty.  

£41 million later and we are looking at predominantly loans and frees. The owners could commit half their 'usual' amount for running  the club and we could still spend £8-10 million. But they haven't so we won't.

We know they all lie. 

So that's probably why banking £41 million is mentioned a lot🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 9

19 minutes ago, KentExile said:

We essentially already play a back 3/5/call it what you will, when in possession 

If it is one of numerous (5-7)  signings to give us options, and a direct understudy/competition for Pickerings role is also brought in,  then I am all for it.  But that seems unlikely at best, 

If as suspected, this is one of 3-4 signings, then I worry that Rovers will be caught very short when injuries/suspensions kick in

I don’t disagree but my only opinion is that if Beck is a better option than Batty then it is a signing that strengthens us.

We aren’t looking to replace Pickering - we are looking for this season’s Chrisene (imo)

43 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

I think most were hoping for an improvement on Pickering not a back up.   Pickering would be ok as a squad filler. 

We were told by Eustace that any signings need to be better than what we already have. 

We already had a young lad, who did ok in the SPL at left back.  Yet we sold him to Barnsley. 

May as well just have kept Gent. 

Didn't Gent want to leave?

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Knew someone would say that.

It was actually "only" £5m but what made that all the more unforgivable for me was the fact he'd already been on loan here and we'd seen beyond any doubt he wasn't all that.

(Albeit a lot better than when he joined permanently)

All I will say, is that it's been unforgivable since the day Venkys arrived. 

• Like 1

I hate to say it, because I want us to spend some money too…but why do people keep going on and on about us ‘banking £41m?”

The owners are £200m in, so it’s like having £2k on your credit card, paying £400 off and suddenly thinking you’re flush! 🤦🏽‍♂️🤣

It isnt like that. Unless the £2k was paid off already, you then received £400 as a gift and refused to spend any of it on investments, even though any you do spend could and should earn you further money in the future.

And you know that you will incur up to £200 a year charges on your now paid off credit card but you choose to keep it.

• Like 3

Owen Beck the nephew of Ian Rush I believe. No nothing about him and don’t like to cast aspersions based on YouTube clips/highlights but we are surely making a conscious decision that he’s better than Gent. At 22 he’s not realistically going to break into Liverpools team. I do wonder whether this is a plan of getting him in for a look with a view of signing him permanently.

Every team in the league loans players so I cannot understand the meltdown because we are doing so.

It’s critical we back it up with a couple of buys that improve the club in the medium/long term.

There is no doubting Cantwell’s quality at this level and probably above this level. There is obviously issues with him though in how he left Norwich and now how he’s leaving Rangers. I do think players of his quality are usually worth 10-15 millions. An opportunity to get a high quality player on the cheap?

If you had £2k on your credit card £400, you might look to pay some of that debt off, however you might not if you looked in the fridge and saw fuck all in there 🤣 I’m not saying to spend £41 million, but you already knew that. We’re nowhere near breaking FFP, but we don’t have a Warton to sell anymore in the next 2 or 3 years. So as a FOOTBALL club the best decision would be to spend some of that free space we have in FFP to buy some FOOTBALL players. Hell, we may even make a profit on them in the future?!?!?!?!?! How else do you, or any of the other put-up-or-shut-up lot expect us to get out of this cycle? Signing loans and freebies means the debt will continue to rise, the playing staff will continue to decrease and we’ll end up in league one… again. 

• Like 3

Having watched Beck and Gent last season, I was far more impressed with Beck. Both were good, and yes the standard is not great but I think the signing of Beck will really challenge Pixie.  I think Gent would have got game time at some point but fair play to the lad wanting to play more often. Beck loves to get on the ball, drives forward and has a really good delivery. Defensively he has to improve positionally but will improve. Shame we can’t get him permanently as it was rumoured he was heading to Celtic on those terms. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Don't know. Did he hand in a transfer request? 

Jackson didn't say he handed in a transfer request, but did say he basically made it clear he wanted to leave on the Podcast, I was really surprised we let him go after so much good feedback from his loan. Essentially Jackson implied Gent wouldn't sign a new deal at the terms we were willing to offer. Wanted first team football. So good on him to be honest, always respect a player who wants to play.

Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, FE123 said:

Owen Beck the nephew of Ian Rush I believe. No nothing about him and don’t like to cast aspersions based on YouTube clips/highlights but we are surely making a conscious decision that he’s better than Gent. At 22 he’s not realistically going to break into Liverpools team. I do wonder whether this is a plan of getting him in for a look with a view of signing him permanently.

Every team in the league loans players so I cannot understand the meltdown because we are doing so.

It’s critical we back it up with a couple of buys that improve the club in the medium/long term.

There is no doubting Cantwell’s quality at this level and probably above this level. There is obviously issues with him though in how he left Norwich and now how he’s leaving Rangers. I do think players of his quality are usually worth 10-15 millions. An opportunity to get a high quality player on the cheap?

I agree with the idea of loan to buy with a fee agreed....if there's any club willing/stupid enough to do that with Rovers.

Or taking a top class talent that suddenly becomes available that we could never conceivably buy.

Or bringing in an emergency 'stop gap' due to a rush of injuries in one position. 

All those options should be explored after you have signed your permanent players. 

I really hope there are some cash buys/ permanent lined up. 

We've been told 3/4 players in consistently by Eustace/Gestede. 

Those 3/4 should be permanent signings.  

3  decent loans on top of that and we have real squad depth. 

I'll believe it when I see it.  I think they will all be loans. 

We'll know by Saturday one way or the other. 

How can some on here not see the issue… £41 million banked (yes, it is banked), and of the signings we’ve made so far, including Beck, TWO will be here come July 1st next year?

Add in a loan goalkeeper and that means that we’ll have to do the exact same thing again next year. Weimann, Batth, McFadzean, Beck and the Goalkeeper will all be off or sent back to their parent clubs and we’ll have to do this whole thing again. We want to build a club slowly for the future is the line consistently used by the wankers who run the club, we want to buy low and sell high they tell us. None of our signings represent any sort of resale value whatsoever on paper. It’s a rudderless ship, no matter who the manager is or who calls themselves DoF. The buck falls with two men, the CEO and his hiding in the shadows sidekick. 

The can has been kicked into next summer where we’ll hear the same thing, ‘oh all the money has gone into wages and infrastructure’ whilst Carter is sold for half his ‘market value’ and Dolan leaves on a free (nobody should actually be too arsed about that)

If that outlook makes me negative or a moaner then so be it, I’d rather that than be so out of touch with reality as some on here and social media!

• Like 5

8 hours ago, MB Rover said:

£41 million banked, what feels like 41 back room staff changes, and the best they can come up with for left back cover after 3 fucking months is a Liverpool loanee. 

To be fair to the new setup, they were set up way too late. I have a theory (they're usually wrong, but what the heck) that we're making a few stop-gap signings this window if we can't bring in who we want. Then draw down a list of longterm targets and we might see more spending in January as they will have lined up some good players. 

After our burst of signings, it's been quiet, but a lot of players linked - and quite a few with links to Eustace, Parks or our good old fax machine. Could be it's sensible to listen to Eustace on this one, he knows the players he's after and what we'll get - and also what we're missing. The other targets are more unknowns and often a bit more 'exciting'. 

2 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

To be fair to the new setup, they were set up way too late. I have a theory (they're usually wrong, but what the heck) that we're making a few stop-gap signings this window if we can't bring in who we want. Then draw down a list of longterm targets and we might see more spending in January as they will have lined up some good players. 

After our burst of signings, it's been quiet, but a lot of players linked - and quite a few with links to Eustace, Parks or our good old fax machine. Could be it's sensible to listen to Eustace on this one, he knows the players he's after and what we'll get - and also what we're missing. The other targets are more unknowns and often a bit more 'exciting'. 

this would be a very logical approach to take… so no chance 🤣

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MB Rover said:

If you had £2k on your credit card £400, you might look to pay some of that debt off, however you might not if you looked in the fridge and saw fuck all in there 🤣 I’m not saying to spend £41 million, but you already knew that. We’re nowhere near breaking FFP, but we don’t have a Warton to sell anymore in the next 2 or 3 years. So as a FOOTBALL club the best decision would be to spend some of that free space we have in FFP to buy some FOOTBALL players. Hell, we may even make a profit on them in the future?!?!?!?!?! How else do you, or any of the other put-up-or-shut-up lot expect us to get out of this cycle? Signing loans and freebies means the debt will continue to rise, the playing staff will continue to decrease and we’ll end up in league one… again. 

Please understand, I want them to spend the full £41m - every fuckin penny! 🤣🤣

I just find it odd that we’d expect them to spend when they’re £200m in. Fwiw, I think it’s the Cashflow which is really restricting us. They’ve pumped 10-20m in every season. Hope we find at least £5m in transfer fees by Friday 🤞🏽

• Like 2