BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

Just now, Ruaney said:

I keep saying ‘41m banked/brought in’.

I’m not saying it’s not true, could even be more. 

Can someone breakdown the outgoings for me? Sorry if it’s been done before.

Put some ranges on it just because different sources quote different amounts and have add ons etc:

Adam Warton £18-22million 

Szmodics £9-11million

Phillips £2-3million

Gallagher £1.5-2.5million

Wahlstedt £1million

Kaminski £3-4million

Raya (I think) circa £4million?

Thats the big ones, add in nominal fees like £500k for Ennis, a couple of 100k for Gent, Telalovic etc and you’re well over that £41million mark.

• Like 3

What I find amusing is

‘dembele no thanks bad attitude down tools doesn’t work hard enough’

’cantwell Yes if we can get him working Eustace is good man manager’

cantwell is a bad egg Norwich fans hate him rangers fans hate him his ego is too big a luxury player who performs once every 10 games a big NO

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, FE123 said:

At 22 he’s not realistically going to break into Liverpools team. I do wonder whether this is a plan of getting him in for a look with a view of signing him permanently.

Not sure his age is the sticking point. Conor Bradley and Quansah are only 21, as is Harvey Elliott, Gravenberch 22. They'll play them if they're good enough.....

1 hour ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

I think most were hoping for an improvement on Pickering not a back up.   Pickering would be ok as a squad filler. 

We were told by Eustace that any signings need to be better than what we already have. 

We already had a young lad, who did ok in the SPL at left back.  Yet we sold him to Barnsley. 

May as well just have kept Gent. 

Gent wanted to play first team football now. 

Beck could be loan to buy deal. See what is announce if it happens. 

36 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

I agree with the idea of loan to buy with a fee agreed....if there's any club willing/stupid enough to do that with Rovers.

Or taking a top class talent that suddenly becomes available that we could never conceivably buy.

Or bringing in an emergency 'stop gap' due to a rush of injuries in one position. 

All those options should be explored after you have signed your permanent players. 

I really hope there are some cash buys/ permanent lined up. 

We've been told 3/4 players in consistently by Eustace/Gestede. 

Those 3/4 should be permanent signings.  

3  decent loans on top of that and we have real squad depth. 

I'll believe it when I see it.  I think they will all be loans. 

We'll know by Saturday one way or the other. 

7 signings? 

Think we need 4/5 signings before the deadline. 

10 minutes ago, danger19_80 said:

Dingles beating us to Travers according to Jackson

Where did Jackson say this? 

Obviously every club has loans at this level and I have no problem if they are quality loans who are better than what we have, Beck seems ok but I'm guessing he will spend most of the season on the bench,

I'm guessing at absolute best, 3 of our 4 incomings this week (if we even get that many) will be loans.

That will mean next summer, that 8 of our current first team squad will be walking out of the door and need replacing again.

We need more permanent signings.

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, MB Rover said:

How can some on here not see the issue… £41 million banked (yes, it is banked), and of the signings we’ve made so far, including Beck, TWO will be here come July 1st next year?

Add in a loan goalkeeper and that means that we’ll have to do the exact same thing again next year. Weimann, Batth, McFadzean, Beck and the Goalkeeper will all be off or sent back to their parent clubs and we’ll have to do this whole thing again. We want to build a club slowly for the future is the line consistently used by the wankers who run the club, we want to buy low and sell high they tell us. None of our signings represent any sort of resale value whatsoever on paper. It’s a rudderless ship, no matter who the manager is or who calls themselves DoF. The buck falls with two men, the CEO and his hiding in the shadows sidekick. 

The can has been kicked into next summer where we’ll hear the same thing, ‘oh all the money has gone into wages and infrastructure’ whilst Carter is sold for half his ‘market value’ and Dolan leaves on a free (nobody should actually be too arsed about that)

If that outlook makes me negative or a moaner then so be it, I’d rather that than be so out of touch with reality as some on here and social media!

Then we could just shut down every thread other than the Venkys thread.

That we as fans want the club to invest in players and be run properly doesn’t need repeating ad nausem. 

Discussing the merits and weaknesses of linked players and our squad based on reality that we have the owners we have and are currently looking at short term, cheap recruitment options 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Roverthechimp said:

Then we could just shut down every thread other than the Venkys thread.

That we as fans want the club to invest in players and be run properly doesn’t need repeating ad nausem. 

Discussing the merits and weaknesses of linked players and our squad based on reality that we have the owners we have and are currently looking at short term, cheap recruitment options 

Couldn’t agree more 

1 hour ago, KentExile said:

That thought went through my mind when I watched the video. A lot of explosive pace on show but that can come with a price injury wise. In that respect he reminds me of Harry Chapman when he first played for us. Too quick for his own good.

I’m reminded of Bill Shankly’s words when a journalist was quizzing him about Trevor Francis when he signed for Brian Clough at Forest. The guy asked Bill why Liverpool weren’t linked with Francis. Bill said - “  It’s his style of play, those bursts of pace, all those stops and starts. He’ll need a physio of his own “.  He wasn’t far wrong.

Having said all that I’d still take the lad. There’s a bit of the young Alan Wright, Graham LeSaux in him I think.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

9 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I genuinely wonder how they manage this.

Celtic were interested in Beck, apparently, and a fee of £3m was quoted. If Beck proves to be better than Pickering (you're not getting £3m for him), does Eustace drop Harry? He appears to be one of the first names on the team sheet and is no doubt an established character in the dressing room. 

If nothing else the lad has pace, which we've been absolutely crying out for. I don't hate this loan at all, but Batty needs to go and play Mens football for the season now at a club that is going to start him week-in, week-out (whatever level that may be).

A Beck style performance is what I was expecting to see when I first watched Batty play at Accrington a year or so ago. I’d heard a lot about him from the guys who watch the U-21’s regularly.  I was pretty disappointed in what I saw that day, granted it was only one game.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, G Somerset Rover said:

There’s a surprise. Why is it when we get a decent link, we forever fail to get them over the line.

The football world is a small world. They all know Rovers is a total circus behind the scenes. Players only come here if there is no realistic alternative.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Emerald Isle Rover said:

Which will rule out iversen

rushworth would be great but again going by comments re Eustace and selecting his players it’s highly likely to be ruddy if Newcastle get Trafford 

We’re all prepped for it to be ruddy I think!

Just to stop the conversation around this (because politicians do this and it’s also incorrect):

The credit card analogy is completely incorrect.

The current owners have invested £200m or so in the football club and have converted it into shares, meaning it’s now equity in the business. They have - if what we hear is to be believed - borrowed that through the parent company from State Bank of India, but the football club isn’t directly on the hook to repay that.

Getting it all back on the way out would be a case of a prospective owner agreeing to clear that amount with the sale of the club from the parent company to them. Highly unlikely, but they’re not going to start issuing dividends to reclaim it and pay it down.

So you’re not paying down a debt as in the credit card analogy, because cash is essentially created out of thin air (in practical terms, the way a national bank does for governments and retail/commercial banks) for you by the owners. You’re not explicitly on the hook for it.

Like the political argument for building infrastructure (and let’s not start that up at all here) using money that’s available to you to strengthen what you have and to try to progress, investing while you can is the only way we could meaningfully move towards actually paying it down, ironically.

We do not sell out Ewood, we do not make enough from commercial and we are in an industry that is almost designed to be unprofitable for the overwhelming majority participating.

Without getting into the finite FFP window, the PSR angle where not running at a loss and calling in cash from the owners means we can only lose 3x less than if they did help us (work that one out, I’ve never been able to), we’ve sold key assets that could have helped us progress up the league and towards the Promised Land, which is fine, but we simply have to reinvest it or we die. It might be slow, it will be painful and it will happen. Anybody saying any different is either being facetious, wilfully ignorant or has some homework to do.

• Like 7
  • Downvote 1