BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

1 minute ago, alex l said:

I would say about half of these were a flop. Taking a punt can be on any player irrespective of the transfer fee. Some of our best players of this century were punts nobody had heard of - Nelsen, Samba. As for Cantwell being a low price as nobody else will sign him due to his attitude - see number 8 on the list. 

Screenshot_20240828-104440.png

Yeah it's very true that spending more money has quite a low correlation with the player actually working out. Applies in the premier league or the Championship.

Most of Rovers' best players have been relatively cheap (Tugay, Friedel, Nelsen, Bentley, MGP, Samba, Szmodics, Armstrong etc). 

51 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

2 quick wingers, a striker (Ohashi doesnt seem to be an out and out striker), a central midfielder, a goalkeeper (not a random Hungarian that no one has heard of and a left sided centre back.

Say £10m spent on a winger, striker, midfielder and keeper and the central defensive cover and second winger can be loans.

No idea on names.

Sound logic right up until the point where you mentioned £10m. 

Most likely we’ll spend about £3m maximum on the GK and Cantwell. 

Then sign a winger and CM on loan. 

With Gueye, Vale and Leonard being our striker options. 

Just now, J*B said:

Mafoumbi taking up one of our four precious ESC spots is classic Rovers. He doesn't stand out at U23 level.

We were talking about him in the pub before the game last night.  How is he doing for the U23s?  Has anyone had the opportunity to go and watch him? 

8 minutes ago, rover23 said:

Sound logic right up until the point where you mentioned £10m. 

Most likely we’ll spend about £3m maximum on the GK and Cantwell. 

Then sign a winger and CM on loan. 

With Gueye, Vale and Leonard being our striker options. 

We wont spend £10m, we will spend peanuts. Expectations based on what we need and should get.

Even your list of 4 new incomings assuming we get the Cantwell deal done and 2 loans we havent heard any mention of yet seems ambitious.

Just now, Jimmy612 said:

We were talking about him in the pub before the game last night.  How is he doing for the U23s?  Has anyone had the opportunity to go and watch him? 

I haven't seen him personally but the reviews I've heard back say he's not stood out and isn't as good as Igor.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

What would be good end of the window for you(your opinion) in terms of player signings? 4 or 5 more signings after Beck? what positions? 

What would be a good window depends on the rules of the game. What we are allowed to do.

For example,  we are told Eustace wants Dembele and Park wants Germaine. We are told Germaine is a cheap deal. In which case we should have done both. With the financial incomings it shouldn't be a problem and in theory it just bolsters the first team and also the quality of the squad, and keeps everyone happy. But clearly we can't do that.

So if we are spending as little as possible, what would I class as a good window?

Personally I think a Goalkeeper and winger are essential. I'm not overly happy that at the moment Carter is our only 'mobile' centre half. Last night showed that are lacking depth in midfield and I'd like another option to replace Szmodics goals.

Therefore a good end to the window to me would be:-

GK, CB, CM, RW, AM / ST

The goalkeeper clearly needs to be better than Pears.

The RW should also be a first team player as we are lacking any real width.

The others could be loans to cover those positions, although ideally ones with a decent amount of football league experience. Hill, for example, was decent as a loan but had already played over 50 first team games before he came to Ewood.

Edited by Hasta

I'd be happy to have a punt on the Hungarian GK rather John Ruddy. Local media seem to rate him highly.

Cantwell would be a top signing but let's see if we can get it done. Pacy winger and CM desperately needed too.

But the glaring fact is that we have raked in a huge amount of money and spent none of basically. That's shameful.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Erased Citizen said:

The goalie is pretty much an unknown but he did get the joint most clean sheets in the Hungarian league last season, so who knows. Cantwell could be a good signing if we actually get him in. Big "if"

Is the Hungarian league not kinda...what's the word I'm looking for...shit?

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

I'd be happy to have a punt on the Hungarian GK rather John Ruddy. Local media seem to rate him highly.

Cantwell would be a top signing but let's see if we can get it done. Pacy winger and CM desperately needed too.

But the glaring fact is that we have raked in a huge amount of money and spent none of basically. That's shameful.

It's the fact we've repeatedly slashed the wage bill and banked £41m in transfers yet we're getting out bid for a loanee GK by another Championship side.

Realistically once Carl Rushworth was linked we should have inked that deal immediately. A proven, young GK - get that deal over the line and give him the #1 shirt from day 1. Instead we're scratching around the bargain bin in the hopes of finding a solution, again.

49 minutes ago, Bethnal said:

I seem to remember something about “duration of contract” being a determining factor. The ESC slot is tied to the contract, you can apply for the work permit with a new deal and if it’s not approved, you can then use the same slot. So we’d have to have offered and had accepted a new deal, which we clearly haven’t managed yet.

If a ESC player plays the requisite percentage  of minutes in the requisite percentage of games a club can apply to make him a non ESC player.

Someone on here ran the numbers for me and believes Siggy met the requirements.

What we don’t know is whether the club are aware this part of the regulations exist…

As far as I can see, having reread the regulations, there’s nothing to suggest a new contract has to be offered to trigger this.

10 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Yeah it is, apart from one or two clubs which I highlighted earlier. Ferencváros got knocked out of Europe by the eventual winners though, and came second in a group of Fiorentia and Genk

5 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Well yeah but at least it seems like he's doing well in it. Could be another Wahlstedt, could be better, I'd rather have a look at this guy than Ruddy. In an ideal world we spend a few million on a more proven GK, but that's not the way things go around here.

• Backroom
16 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

38th, Championship is 24th.

On the other hand, if it’s a Park/Owen/Gestede choice, they’re 2 for 2 so far…

48 minutes ago, Forever Blue said:

Yeah, I was thinking that might be the problem, but he was never on loan to us, we signed him on a free (took over his old contract?) then he signed a new contract in January ‘24 iirc. 

So maybe he now qualifies?

He signed in June ‘23 so I can’t see an issue with the 12 month qualifying period.

I’m quite often wrong though 😁

13 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

It's the fact we've repeatedly slashed the wage bill and banked £41m in transfers yet we're getting out bid for a loanee GK by another Championship side.

Realistically once Carl Rushworth was linked we should have inked that deal immediately. A proven, young GK - get that deal over the line and give him the #1 shirt from day 1. Instead we're scratching around the bargain bin in the hopes of finding a solution, again.

Travers, Rushworth et al were never realistic signings imo. They would cost good money on loan and there were other clubs after them. The common theme with all our signings is that they're cheap and no other clubs were in for them, maybe with the exception of Beck. 

It's shocking we cannot compete in the transfer market when we've raked in so much money.