BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

4 minutes ago, Forever Blue said:

Disagree on Pickering. He’s actually a good defender who is hampered by being one paced. 

I used to to games with a mate who was a City scout. From time to time he’d be scouting a full back. If the target didn’t have real pace we’d be back in the car and heading home just after half time. It was the first thing on his full back scout sheet.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Forever Blue said:

A dribble takes you past a man or two. A ball carrier runs with ball, not necessarily beating a man. Just a guess. 

That's how I saw it. 

Decent dribblers but bad ball carriers: Hoilett, Dolan

Decent ball carriers but bad dribblers: Rothwell, Nyambe

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Wow!

"Stole a wage?"

You never saw Gallagher "in action" for 5 years then?

I think you'd better ask them to turn your seat in Corporate  round to face the pitch for this season!

Yup, both absolutely biz, over prolonged periods. Kept on because they were “Nice, hardworking” lads.

In context - Brittain is a good Championship RB. However, after watching Nyambe run aimlessly around for years, it felt like we’d signed prime Cafu in Britain’s first season. Similarly, Gally had evoked some type of Stockholm syndrome on most fans, myself included, where we kind of accepted having a striker who never looked like scoring. Then we signed Gueye and Ohashi, neither of who are world beaters and within 20 minutes of a friendly at Stockport I’m thinking, “Jesus Christ, THIS is what a Striker is supposed to do!” Actually get in the box!? Be on the end of crosses!? Make intelligent runs off the back of centre halves!?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Is there any difference between dribbling and ball carrying? 

Going back before your time but - the two Mikes. Ferguson , a tricky dribbler. Harrison, hard running and direct. A great pair of wingers. Maybe coming up to date. Duffer- a tricky dribbler. Ripley, a more direct ball carrier ? 

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Brittain not been as good as hoped IMO.  Not great defensively and average going forward.  Has a decent engine to be fair though. 

I must be watching a different player. Agree to disagree.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I used to to games with a mate who was a City scout. From time to time he’d be scouting a full back. If the target didn’t have real pace we’d be back in the car and heading home just after half time. It was the first thing on his full back scout sheet.

Sure he was a scout?

the ability to defend and positional play is far more important. No point being quick if you can’t defend. Being one paced also doesn’t make Pickering a bad defender. 

the errors made last season all came from hyam, pears and brittain. 

It’s very very rare that Pickering is directly responsible for a goal conceded. He’s a good solid championship defender. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, alexanders said:

Agree Mark. Hyam actually needs dropping selling too. 

We would look much more like a solid unit with a new GK and a new CB together with Carter. 

Fixed it for you. 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

51 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Wow!

"Stole a wage?"

You never saw Gallagher "in action" for 5 years then?

I think you'd better ask them to turn your seat in Corporate  round to face the pitch for this season!

Nyambe was a decent CB if injuries to others required it. And pace and a tackle were in his locker.

But others are correct, he went to pieces of he went upfield into the oppo half. That may be as much the fault of coaching as the player.

The comment 'stealing a wage'  by another was ludicrous.

Nyambe post Rovers .. I could not care less.

Brittain, if I had him with me in the trenches I'd run a book on him doing a runner.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1

Remember that cup tie at Leicester ? We were cruising 3-0 up with JRC at right back, he had that Harvey Barnes is his pocket. We take JRC off and bring Brittain on and all of a sudden Barnes starts looking like prime Gareth Bale up against Brittain. We squeaked away with a 3-2 win.

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

I'm probably more on your side on this, but he was a long long way away from stealing a wage! He was probably paid a pittance to begin with and was a decent defender. He just got a nosebleed in the opposition's half. 

Tbf, stealing a wage is probably too strong and insinuates he wasn’t trying. A waste of a wage is probably more fair.

I genuinely feel sorry for him because Mowbray had a bloody 4yr contract on the table for him 🤦🏽‍♂️ and Nyambe’s agent advised him not to sign it as they could do better. Then the new regime walks in, watched him train for a hour and pulled the contract. Nyambe’s camp came back with their begging bowls. No dice. 🤣

The proof has been in the pudding since he left. Nice lad, terrible player.

2 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Nyambe was a decent CB is injuries to others required it. And pace and a tackle were in his locker.

But others are correct, he went to pieces of he went upfield into the oppo half. That may be as much the fault of coaching as the player.

Nyambe post Rovers .. I could not care less.

Britain, if I had him with me in the trenches I'd run a book on him doing a runner.

Agree on all points, especially the last sentence!

I liked Nyambe, he was an excellent one-on-one defender, he was rarely beaten. Positionally he was a bit suspect and his end product was poor. 

Brittain is a bit of a fanny, there’s always a mistake in him, but he’s a good crosser of a ball.

Edited by Forever Blue
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Forever Blue said:

Sure he was a scout?

the ability to defend and positional play is far more important. No point being quick if you can’t defend. Being one paced also doesn’t make Pickering a bad defender. 

It’s very very rare that Pickering is directly responsible for a goal conceded. He’s a good solid championship defender. 

Name me a good slow fullback that isn’t playing for the George and Dragon. My pal played for Man Utd and England schoolboys. He knew his stuff when it came to players.

The best left fullback England have had for years - Ashley Cole.
Why was that ? Because he was seriously rapid.

Players could beat Cole and within a stride or two he’d be back at them. Players beat our two and it’s bye bye.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Tbf, stealing a wage is probably too strong and insinuates he wasn’t trying. A waste of a wage is probably more fair.

I genuinely feel sorry for him because Mowbray had a bloody 4yr contract on the table for him 🤦🏽‍♂️ and Nyambe’s agent advised him not to sign it as they could do better. Then the new regime walks in, watched him train for a hour and pulled the contract. Nyambe’s camp came back with their begging bowls. No dice. 🤣

It makes you wonder what the coach’s were doing. Nyambe lack of ability on the ball never changed in all the time he was here. He still couldn’t cross a good ball. Top one on one defender though. Name me a winger that gave him the run around ? 

2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Name me a good slow fullback that isn’t playing for the George and Dragon. My pal played for Man Utd and England schoolboys. He knew his stuff when it came to players.

Nobody said he was slow, just one paced. 

Like I said, Pickering is a good defender who is rarely responsible for goals against.  

Came on to see what is happening and all I can see is a heap of dead bodies of our existing squad assassinated on this thread.

Very concerned it is already too late for Swag to learn where the send button is.

1 hour ago, rover23 said:

The same Nyambe who can’t get a game for Derby? 

Have to say that Nyambe did establish himself as a regular at Derby last season and then got injured, I believe, at or after the African Cup of Nations. This season he seems to be a sub. A limited player for Rovers but had his moments when he felt confident.

Someone mentioned the CM position. There is no U21 defensive midfielder close to breaking through, so we're extremely light. I don't expect much from Travis, despite his useful start to the season. I fear that his best is behind him as a result of injuries. JRC questionable, though, hopefully, he'll regain form and fitness.

Generally, speaking, aside from Duru, the youth promotion project is looking unpromising, partly due to the injuries to the likes of Gilsenan, Leonard and others. The next 'hope' is Bloxham, it seems but he doesn't seem close. It might be a problem as we increasingly rely on youth to fill out the squad - with five academy graduates, I believe, starting against Blackpool in Carter, Duru, JRC, Buckley and Vale.

Finally, proposed new goalie signing of Toth will hopefully lead to exits to one or two of the reserve keepers. Jordan Eastham seems to have been demoted in favour of Jack Barrett from Everton, and really should be allowed to go to. 

Edit: To add, Todd Cantwell seems a promising signing and am surprised that we could attract someone like him, despite his contractual struggles at Rangers. Though I am wary of the 'baggage' that seems to follow him. I don't know if it's justified but I believe he left Norwich under acrimonious circumstances. Hopefully, nothing to be concerned about. I'd prefer Ianis Hagi, if we're going for out-of-favour players but, not sure if we could afford him.

Edited by riverholmes

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If we want another CB why did we sign both Baath and McFadz ? One I could understand but both of them ?

The CB’s we have are quite injury prone. Hyam and Carter both missed games last year. 

As for the other two, not much pace there if played. Also, if we were to go with three at the back, we need another.

6 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The best left fullback England have for years - Ashley Cole. Why was that ? Because he was seriously rapid.

No it was because he was an excellent defender. Lots of one paced full backs about (trippier, Alexander Arnold) who have played for England. 

Pace means nowt if you can’t defend.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Forever Blue said:

Sure he was a scout?

He misjudges the  bounce of a ball a lot!

Any full back requires a modicum of pace.  Unless you are playing Rovers, you are likely up against the quickest player on the pitch. 

You can have all the positioning nous in the world but if that ball gets knocked past you, you've had it. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

He's not terrible, he's just a victim of how the game has changed.

He's not too dissimilar to Jordan Rhodes in that respect. Rhodes was unbelievable at putting the ball in the net, and a total liability in other aspects of the game. Fine if you play 442 with wingers and a hard working strike partner. Unacceptable if you play differently. 

Same with Nyambe. He plays in the 90s or earlier where his first, second and third priority is defending against your winger then there's no way that he'd be slumming it in Derby reserves. But he can't attack, so he is. It doesn't make him terrible though, or even bad. Just more one dimensional than he can get away with. 

• Like 4