BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

7 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Can anyone clarify the difference between an 8 and a 10 these days.

Szmodics was a 10 player, whilst Wharton was 8. 

Look at Man City, Rodri is the 6(defensive midfielder), De Bruyne is the 8(box to box midfielder/playmaker), Foden/Silva is the 10 who is attacking midfielder/plays closer to Haaland 

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Expert explains what Blackburn Rovers can expect from Toth

Expert explains what Blackburn Rovers can expect from Toth | Lancashire Telegraph

Ridiculous thing to go off I know but.... From the match photos I've seen of Toth he has a more determined confident look about him in his body language and eyes, as opposed to Pears and wahlstadt who always just look like botty twitching deer caught in the headlights everytime the ball is anywhere in their vicinity 

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Seeing as we debunked the difference between a ball carrier and a dribbler.

Can anyone clarify the difference between an 8 and a 10 these days.

Asking for someone that grew up with Garner as a 10. 

We should remember this the next time we reach the "300 pages without a signing" stage of a transfer window. 

For some reason I've always had Bergkamp in my head when talking about a number ten. Basically a centre forward but one that can create and doesn't run in behind very much. I think people tend to think of it more as an ultra attacking midfielder who doesn't have any proper defensive responsibilities now though. Whereas an 8 is just a normal midfield player who gets forward

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If you’re looking for a keeper that “ commands his area “ you’ll need a Time Machine first. Set it for about 1975.

It's rare but I think they are still out there.

Too much emphasis on being able to pass a ball 10 yards these days.

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, MarkBRFC said:

It's rate but I think they are still out there.

Too much emphasis on being able to pass a ball 10 yards these days.

Yeah, usually to a player with an opponent breathing down his neck.  Watch any division at the weekend and count the number of goal scoring opportunities given away by the keeper cocking up a pass. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Ridiculous thing to go off I know but.... From the match photos I've seen of Toth he has a more determined confident look about him in his body language and eyes, as opposed to Pears and wahlstadt who always just look like botty twitching deer caught in the headlights everytime the ball is anywhere in their vicinity 

Watching highlights of Fehervar games, he comes for some crosses that he shouldn’t.  One resulted in a header hitting the bar, but he was two yards away from being able to catch the ball.

Shot stopping is hit and miss.  Couple of good flying stops, but one or two goals that weren’t particularly well hit and still beat him.

Quick to come off his line and close.

Its a small sample and I’m not an authority on scouting, but I’m more hopeful than expectant with this one.

• Like 3

Don't know much about Baker except he's been mentioned as a target for a while.  Would make sense but assume  very similar to Cantwell - unless that's now fallen through.

Keeper - Meh.  Wait and see. 

Beck. Be interesting if Pickering injured for Sat.  If the lad is good, he should be straight in otherwise it'll be Britain  at left back. 

No idea how good the potential winger from Brighton is.  Would rather we signed a permanent winger with him as a bonus. 

Cantwell - Believe it when I see it. 

Permanent winger, Striker and CB for a 

very good window. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Forever Blue said:

A 10 is a Dack or Szmods

An 8 is a Bohinen or Dunn

Hmmm i'd say Bohinen and Dunn are number 10s too. 8 is a box to box player... Maybe Dunn early days was going box to box but most of his career he was purely an attacking player.

My examples would be 

6 (deep midfielder) ; Tugay, Wharton, Batty

8 (box to box) : Travis, Rothwell, Sherwood

10 (attacking midfielder / second striker) :  Dack, Dunn, Cairney

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

A set piece taker is something we currently lack.

Hopefully baker will provide that (which he does going of YouTube and the FM database)

To be brutally frank about it, he provides that, and not a great deal else. He's a skillful player but in a way not very suited to the modern game. Doesn't press well, doesn't offer much presence and too often the game passes him by. Does provide a goal threat though and that's not to be sniffed at. 

Put it this way I'll be very disappointed if Moran isn't an upgrade for us 😃 (which he certainly was in the cup the other night)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Don't know much about Baker except he's been mentioned as a target for a while.  Would make sense but assume  very similar to Cantwell - unless that's now fallen through.

Keeper - Meh.  Wait and see. 

Beck. Be interesting if Pickering injured for Sat.  If the lad is good, he should be straight in otherwise it'll be Britain  at left back. 

No idea how good the potential winger from Brighton is.  Would rather we signed a permanent winger with him as a bonus. 

Cantwell - Believe it when I see it. 

Permanent winger, Striker and CB for a 

very good window. 

It'll be really disappointing but hardly surprising if Cantwell has fallen through and Baker is the replacement.

Would hope Beck is better than Pickering otherwise what's the point.

The keeper does seem like a panic last minute buy because either there's no-one else still available or we've decided we don't want to pay the going rate for a decent one.

For all the names floated about and £41m in sales we've only actually brought in a couple of loans so far. Hope things improve before the end of the window.

2 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Thanks for the 8/10 clarification. 

Strikes me we don't currently play with an '8' then. Rather 2 sixes and a ten. 🤷🏻‍♂️

If Baker is an 8,  then is he a ball carrier or a dribbler 🤯

Well, technically Trav was always an 8 (Up and downer). Mowbray converted him into a 6.

Sonny is a classic 6 

Dack is the clearest example of a 10.

Ergo….
Cantwell is a 10

Baker is an 8

• Like 1