BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

1 goalkeeper

2 right back

3 left back

4 right half

5 centre half

6 left half

7 right wing

8 inside right

9 centre forward

10 inside left 

11 left wing

proper football

now that’s sorted have we signed anyone today? 

• Like 6
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Hmmm i'd say Bohinen and Dunn are number 10s too. 8 is a box to box player... Maybe Dunn early days was going box to box but most of his career he was purely an attacking player.

My examples would be 

6 (deep midfielder) ; Tugay, Wharton, Batty

8 (box to box) : Travis, Rothwell, Sherwood

10 (attacking midfielder / second striker) :  Dack, Dunn, Cairney

So 6 is the old 4 and 10  is the old 8. 

I wouldn't class Dunn/Cairney the same as a Baggio/Riquelme/Totti/Bergkamp. 

Dack  - maybe. 

6 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Hmmm i'd say Bohinen and Dunn are number 10s too. 8 is a box to box player... Maybe Dunn early days was going box to box but most of his career he was purely an attacking player.

My examples would be 

6 (deep midfielder) ; Tugay, Wharton, Batty

8 (box to box) : Travis, Rothwell, Sherwood

10 (attacking midfielder / second striker) :  Dack, Dunn, Cairney

See I think Cairney could've been moulded into an 6/8. Early Dunn was an 8.

An 8 I'd say roams around more, a 6 holds shape more, can be a ball player or a destroyer type.

A 10 has more freedom

Other examples:

6:   tronstad, souness era flitcroft, Lee Williamson, n'zonzi, 

8: robbie savage, steven reid.

10: Ruben rochina

-8: Hope Akpan

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Come off It people. A 6 is a centre half. Always has been. Always will be.

Pep. Total football. Number 6 - Ake.

Really. 6 has always been a more defensive/holding midfielder in my book (thinking batty) 4 & 5 centre backs and 8 is a more box to box midfielder (ala sherwood) 

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, PotterLog said:

To be brutally frank about it, he provides that, and not a great deal else. He's a skillful player but in a way not very suited to the modern game. Doesn't press well, doesn't offer much presence and too often the game passes him by. Does provide a goal threat though and that's not to be sniffed at. 

Put it this way I'll be very disappointed if Moran isn't an upgrade for us 😃 (which he certainly was in the cup the other night)

Thanks.  He should fit right in.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, alex l said:

8 - attacking midfielder - Gascoigne.

10 - forward who plays off the out and out striker - Sherringham. 

However this was more in the 442 days.

In today's football Gascoigne would be a number 10 all day long. No one would play him deeper than that. He'd also probably be made to play wide sometimes as an "inverted winger" as is the fashion so they could shoe him in with a couple of other attacking mids. 

11 minutes ago, PotterLog said:

To be brutally frank about it, he provides that, and not a great deal else. He's a skillful player but in a way not very suited to the modern game. Doesn't press well, doesn't offer much presence and too often the game passes him by. Does provide a goal threat though and that's not to be sniffed at. 

Put it this way I'll be very disappointed if Moran isn't an upgrade for us 😃 (which he certainly was in the cup the other night)

I'll be honest moran might be that minus the good set pieces 🤣

Moran had a couple of decent games for us in the first half of the season especially in the league but was completely annoymous 2nd half of the season. 

He wasn't quick or confident enough to play wide. Went missing too often,  too powderpuff to play cm. Would be interesting what he could do as 10 but I'm glad he's not rocked back here (also glad you've taken gally and ennis of us)

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, PotterLog said:

Moran played well for us at the beginning of the season then quickly became a passenger, passing to invisible men or the opposition. He could make a good player though if he toughened up.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Don't know much about Baker except he's been mentioned as a target for a while.  Would make sense but assume  very similar to Cantwell - unless that's now fallen through.

Keeper - Meh.  Wait and see. 

Beck. Be interesting if Pickering injured for Sat.  If the lad is good, he should be straight in otherwise it'll be Britain  at left back. 

No idea how good the potential winger from Brighton is.  Would rather we signed a permanent winger with him as a bonus. 

Cantwell - Believe it when I see it. 

Permanent winger, Striker and CB for a 

very good window. 

Now Dembele is off the table are there any other wingers we've been interested in? I'd still love Poku.

24 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Thanks for the 8/10 clarification. 

Strikes me we don't currently play with an '8' then. Rather 2 sixes and a ten. 🤷🏻‍♂️

If Baker is an 8,  then is he a ball carrier or a dribbler 🤯

Travis is an 8 - he's a box-to-box CM, but yes in the 4-2-3-1 formation you usually play with two 6s.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Now Dembele is off the table are there any other wingers we've been interested in? I'd still love Poku.

Aasgaard, but he's more of an attacking midfielder.

26 minutes ago, PotterLog said:

Moran can't play CM. 

Just now, Exiled_Rover said:

It's why Luton got promoted - they went completely against the new norm of playing out from the back and played two big #9s. a) it eliminates those suicidal goals you concede asking your GK to be a playmaker and b) modern CBs simply aren't used to playing against crossed balls into the box.

Does Pep know yet ?

1 minute ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Matondo? 

Surely we've put our  hat in for Doak.  Although it seems half of the Prem/Champ also have so next to no chance. 

A lot of the European wingers in our pond have moved already.