BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

29 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Hmmm i'd say Bohinen and Dunn are number 10s too. 8 is a box to box player... Maybe Dunn early days was going box to box but most of his career he was purely an attacking player.

My examples would be 

6 (deep midfielder) ; Tugay, Wharton, Batty

8 (box to box) : Travis, Rothwell, Sherwood

10 (attacking midfielder / second striker) :  Dack, Dunn, Cairney

Cairney was never a 2nd striker in a million years or a 10. Dunn was never a 2nd striker but played a bit further forward in his twilight years. In his pomp he was a CM. 

Bohinen played in a CM on the age of 2 man midfields. He was the 8. 

The rest I agree on. 

1 minute ago, Exiled_Rover said:

It's why Luton got promoted - they went completely against the new norm of playing out from the back and played two big #9s. a) it eliminates those suicidal goals you concede asking your GK to be a playmaker and b) modern CBs simply aren't used to playing against crossed balls into the box.

Play in your opponents half, like rugby league.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Matondo? 

Surely we've put our  hat in for Doak.  Although it seems half of the Prem/Champ also have so next to no chance. 

A lot of the European wingers in our pond have moved already. 

Think he is joining Hull. (Doak that is)

Edited by Ghost7

24 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

1 goalkeeper

2 right back

3 left back

4 right half

5 centre half

6 left half

7 right wing

8 inside right

9 centre forward

10 inside left 

11 left wing

proper football

now that’s sorted have we signed anyone today? 

Boomers football!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, PotterLog said:

To be brutally frank about it, he provides that, and not a great deal else. He's a skillful player but in a way not very suited to the modern game. Doesn't press well, doesn't offer much presence and too often the game passes him by. Does provide a goal threat though and that's not to be sniffed at. 

Put it this way I'll be very disappointed if Moran isn't an upgrade for us 😃 (which he certainly was in the cup the other night)

Go back to your club and tell them we have a highly rated individual in Jack Vale. Sam Gallaghers understudy who is available for £1.5m. Seems that there’s a good relationship between our clubs, Most of us here consider Stoke as Blackburn B side

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

In today's football Gascoigne would be a number 10 all day long. No one would play him deeper than that. He'd also probably be made to play wide sometimes as an "inverted winger" as is the fashion so they could shoe him in with a couple of other attacking mids. 

He wouldn’t he’d be an 8. 

3 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

It's why Luton got promoted - they went completely against the new norm of playing out from the back and played two big #9s. a) it eliminates those suicidal goals you concede asking your GK to be a playmaker and b) modern CBs simply aren't used to playing against crossed balls into the box.

More than one way of skinning a cat, but there's a great logic to playing in a way that goes against how almost everyone else thinks the game should be played. They've out performed the quality of their squad for years, and good luck to them.

Obviously you need the right players to do it, but I'd love to see a Rovers team do well in the exact same way. 

• Like 4

Yeah - that's something that's faded from the game but Luton were brilliant at bringing it back. No defence is ready to handle two proper physical strikers. I am a bit surprised no one else has copied it. If we could find another Big Mak and play them both up front it would be a very good move.

• Like 1

Current Premier League Number 6's

10 Centre Backs

7 Midfielders

1 Right Back.

2 Not Used.

Read it and weep all you modern-day Football Manager aficionados.

To be fair since Ryan Nelson we do seem to have switched to having midfielders at 6, although it's not what we used to do and I'm sure it's not how most clubs do it. This is interesting from Transfermarkt.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, dallydally said:

Another thoroughly depressing day with no signings confirmed. Even Eustace is downbeat about progress with medicals etc. Another window set to disappear with little real change??

Baker on loan has been confirmed hasn't it? Not that I'm particularly enthused about that one.

2 minutes ago, dallydally said:

Another thoroughly depressing day with no signings confirmed. Even Eustace is downbeat about progress with medicals etc. Another window set to disappear with little real change??

Another good man lost to emotional fatigue on the transfer window battlefield. 

RIP

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Safe bet given that the window closes tomorrow.  Is it Mystic Meg?

I wouldn't put it past us having the medical lined up for Saturday in fairness

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

More than one way of skinning a cat, but there's a great logic to playing in a way that goes against how almost everyone else thinks the game should be played. They've out performed the quality of their squad for years, and good luck to them.

Obviously you need the right players to do it, but I'd love to see a Rovers team do well in the exact same way. 

Would the other Japanese striker alongside Gueye have been suitable?

• Like 1

Good on 'em I say.