BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

2 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Anyone got the Toth article on what he brings? I can't get through the paywall.

What can you tell us about Toth? What’s his pedigree and background?

Toth is a bit of a late bloomer. He only established himself as a first-choice goalkeeper at 23 years old in Hungary’s top flight and didn’t really feature at youth international level for Hungary.  

However, his stock has risen massively in the last four years. Since breaking into the first team he’s become one of the best, and last season certainly the best, goalkeeper in Hungary’s top-flight. Now he’s regularly in the Hungarian senior national team and very highly regarded.

Are you surprised a move to England/another more prominent European league hasn’t materialised sooner?  

Perhaps a little bit. He was linked with a move to Germany last year with Bundesliga and 2.Bundesliga clubs interested but nothing materialised.

What are his biggest strengths and perhaps his weaknesses?  

Shot-stopping is his biggest strength. He’s got brilliant reflexes - that’s why he was able to prevent 10.52 goals as per Wyscout last season. He’s brilliant on the line.  

But he’s also comfortable in possession - a proper modern goalkeeper.  Only concern for me would perhaps be height. He's not super tall at 1.89 metres (around 6ft 2) but that could be something that makes him vulnerable when coming out for crosses and set-pieces in a league like the Championship.

The Championship is a particularly physical league, do you think he’ll be able to cope with that or will he need some time to adapt?  

I’ll echo the last bit above for this. He’ll probably need to adjust to the pace of the league as well. The Hungarian top-flight is very slow - whereas in the Championship he will have to deal with being pressed and needing to move the ball quicker - that will take time to adjust to.

He’s played in UEFA club qualifiers before and has done well but he has not been tested a lot at such a high level.

How disappointed will the club/fans be to lose him?  

Fehérvár is a mess at the moment and Toth was one of the favourites at the club. But I think at this point the fans are used to players leaving this summer.

They’ve let go of 10 first-team players already this summer including Hungary internationals like Szabolcs Schon (Bolton) and Attila Fiola as well as Bence Gergényi who has just been called up to Hungary’s squad for the first time. So, they’re used to their best players leaving this summer.

Overall, do you think this is a smart signing for a club like Rovers?

100%. Based on the data alone Tóth was one of the best performing goalkeepers in Europe’s top 31 leagues last season. If he can continue that form in England then Rovers could have pulled off an absolute bargain.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, TommyRovers said:

What can you tell us about Toth? What’s his pedigree and background?

Toth is a bit of a late bloomer. He only established himself as a first-choice goalkeeper at 23 years old in Hungary’s top flight and didn’t really feature at youth international level for Hungary.  

However, his stock has risen massively in the last four years. Since breaking into the first team he’s become one of the best, and last season certainly the best, goalkeeper in Hungary’s top-flight. Now he’s regularly in the Hungarian senior national team and very highly regarded.

Are you surprised a move to England/another more prominent European league hasn’t materialised sooner?  

Perhaps a little bit. He was linked with a move to Germany last year with Bundesliga and 2.Bundesliga clubs interested but nothing materialised.

What are his biggest strengths and perhaps his weaknesses?  

Shot-stopping is his biggest strength. He’s got brilliant reflexes - that’s why he was able to prevent 10.52 goals as per Wyscout last season. He’s brilliant on the line.  

But he’s also comfortable in possession - a proper modern goalkeeper.  Only concern for me would perhaps be height. He's not super tall at 1.89 metres (around 6ft 2) but that could be something that makes him vulnerable when coming out for crosses and set-pieces in a league like the Championship.

The Championship is a particularly physical league, do you think he’ll be able to cope with that or will he need some time to adapt?  

I’ll echo the last bit above for this. He’ll probably need to adjust to the pace of the league as well. The Hungarian top-flight is very slow - whereas in the Championship he will have to deal with being pressed and needing to move the ball quicker - that will take time to adjust to.

He’s played in UEFA club qualifiers before and has done well but he has not been tested a lot at such a high level.

How disappointed will the club/fans be to lose him?  

Fehérvár is a mess at the moment and Toth was one of the favourites at the club. But I think at this point the fans are used to players leaving this summer.

They’ve let go of 10 first-team players already this summer including Hungary internationals like Szabolcs Schon (Bolton) and Attila Fiola as well as Bence Gergényi who has just been called up to Hungary’s squad for the first time. So, they’re used to their best players leaving this summer.

Overall, do you think this is a smart signing for a club like Rovers?

100%. Based on the data alone Tóth was one of the best performing goalkeepers in Europe’s top 31 leagues last season. If he can continue that form in England then Rovers could have pulled off an absolute bargain.

He's got one thing up on Pears at least - shot stopping.

Thanks for the above Tommy.

Edited by RoversClitheroe
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

He's got one thing up on Pears at least - shot stopping.

Thanks for the above Tommy.

Stopped plenty at Elland Road last season or we'd probably be in league 1 right now, but he's not great, that I agree with.

• Like 3

Bit of Dingle hyperbole from UTC here;-

They're a bit miffed over on brfcs because Oxford have nipped in and signed Dembele from Brum, Rovers were expected to nab him.
Apparently, a lot were hanging their hats on him joining them.

In fact, miffed is putting it mildly... 

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Hasta said:

Bit of Dingle hyperbole from UTC here;-

What are you doing on that site Hasta? Please don't infect this with that shite.

Hope you've sanitised the PC 👍

• Like 4

The one  thing holding the deal up is Hilton already registered as number 13 and Todd Cantwell refuses to wear another number. We have to send in a request for change to the EFL and get that approved before Cantwell accepts Rovers deal. 

2 minutes ago, Gav said:

Stopped plenty at Elland Road last season or we'd probably be in league 1 right now, but he's not great, that I agree with.

Agree - Pears' problem is that he produces howlers far too regularly to be trusted anymore, but it's not as though he's got any glaring 'technical' weaknesses. Flip side of that is that you wouldn't really say that he excels at anything either, like you could with Raya even when he was making errors. 

Just now, alexanders said:

The one  thing holding the deal up is Hilton already registered as number 13 and Todd Cantwell refuses to wear another number. We have to send in a request for change to the EFL and get that approved before Cantwell accepts Rovers deal. 

having a diva strop already😁

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Agree - Pears' problem is that he produces howlers far too regularly to be trusted anymore, but it's not as though he's got any glaring 'technical' weaknesses. Flip side of that is that you wouldn't really say that he excels at anything either, like you could with Raya even when he was making errors. 

Even when he was struggling a bit Raya would pull off the sort of jaw dropping saves that only top keepers can.

• Like 6

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Even when he was struggling a bit Raya would pull off the sort of jaw dropping saves that only top keepers can.

That's the difference. Raya had a clanger or 2 in him but he could also pull off unbelievable saves that won points in other games. 

Pears has cost us plenty of points. Can't think of any game where I've thought, Pears single handedly kept us in it. 

• Like 1

The lack of urgency with these higher ups frustrates the life out of me.

We need bodies in for Saturday and they drag things out so much. Surely we move the slowest at dealing with transfers in the Football league?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, alexanders said:

I remember when Rovers spectacular failed to replace Alan Shearer and the #9 was vacant to start the season.

They got special permission from the Premier League to move Sutton over from #16 and 💫TADA💫 our new number #9.

Was a Waggott special 28 years in the making! 

Though saying that, I would very much like to see Pears lose his #1, literally and literally. Tóth should have a word.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, alexanders said:

Is this serious???

3 minutes ago, Ruaney said:

The lack of urgency with these higher ups frustrates the life out of me.

We need bodies in for Saturday and they drag things out so much. Surely we move the slowest at dealing with transfers in the Football league?

They need to be registered by 12:30 pm tomorrow to be eligible for Saturday 

The club have a huge game on Saturday would have been nice to get these done today and keep the head coaches head ob the game rather than spending the eve of the match fretting over incomings 

• Like 1

• Backroom

If we get Cantwell I’d be trying to get rid of Dolan tomorrow, reckon we could get a million or two maybe then bring in a quick winger 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

I can see us finishing the window with the keeper, Baker and Cantwell. 

We'll fail to bring in any pace whatsoever. 

Nixon reckons the Brighton Lad is done.

No idea if he is any good or the answer but supposed to be quick 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Is this serious???

No cos he wore 14 all his Norwich career.

However I heard this afternoon he is a bit of a cleanliness freak and insists on only wearing a new shirt every match. He’s done it all his career. Apparently we haven’t enough stock of adult shirts for that to happen until October, so the deal is on hold unless we can get a few more sent over.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 6

15 minutes ago, alexanders said:

He’s also insisting he be allowed to wear a Norwich shirt during matches. 

• Like 1