BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

25 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Why are fans enthused by the Baker signing? I've been looking on the Stoke fans website and they're not bothered that he's gone. It's like us selling them Gallagher

We're signing a lad who can't in the Stoke team - I know Eustace likes him but is he really going to improve the Rovers team? 

As it stands,in recent days we've signed an unproven keeper who may or may not be better than Pears, an unwanted Stoke 29-year-old and a youngster from Liverpool who is unlikely to displace Pickering 

He improves us in depth for sure, to have a decent enough squad to compete on all fronts so to enable comfortable rotation you need 4 cm’s at least, a direct swap for every position, jrc had to get cm against blackpool to enable rotation and look what happened. So yes he will improve us. I believe it’s also a Travis situation cause of the manager at Stoke 

13 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Honestly, with keepers I don’t think it matters what league they’re playing in. A shot is a shot, a cross is a cross etc. If he’s been scouted right, a 26th old international keeper who has just recorded some of the best stats around shots saved etc in Europe, isn’t really a “punt”….

If hes playing in an inferior league with totally different demands in terms of physicality, of course it is a punt.

You could sign a player from non league and say a goal is a goal.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, KentExile said:

To be honest, if we get Cozier-Duberry and Godo on loan, I am not at all fussed about Cantwell.  2 wide players with pace are far more important

Cantwell playing behind Gueye excites me more than two loanee wingers (granted we need them too), but I think he'll tear the league up picking up the knock downs from Gueye. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Why are fans enthused by the Baker signing? I've been looking on the Stoke fans website and they're not bothered that he's gone. It's like us selling them Gallagher

We're signing a lad who can't in the Stoke team - I know Eustace likes him but is he really going to improve the Rovers team? 

As it stands,in recent days we've signed an unproven keeper who may or may not be better than Pears, an unwanted Stoke 29-year-old and a youngster from Liverpool who is unlikely to displace Pickering 

Those are my feelings as well jim. I am feeling exceptionally underwhelmed after what seemed a very bright start to the window a few weeks ago.

I feel a lot will hinge on the signing or otherwise of Cantwell. He seems to be the marquee signing of the window and right now I'm expecting it to go the same way as our other high value deals of recent windows.

IF however he signs and can chip in with double figures that will take a lot of pressure off the unproven strikers and the signing will raise morale.

IF we can also sign a couple of decent pacey wide men and maybe a RB and if both full backs are better than the present incumbents and if the keeper is better than Pears it will have been a pretty good window in theory.

If nothing were to happen from here though I'd call that a very disappointing window other than shifting Gallagher.

£40m plus in sales and nil net spend.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

I'd be amazed if he isn't an upgrade on Travis (although i'm expecting us to go with Travis - Baker - Tronstadt as a 3 if Travis isn't sold)

15 minutes ago, FE123 said:

Wouldn’t mind Cantwell off the bench tomorrow against the dingles.

if we get Cantwell and both wingers sign we’ve arguably got the best squad since we got relegated from the PL, with the exception of THAT Bowyer squad with Rudy and Rhodes firing.

I feel like we talk about that squad with a fair bit of rose tinted hindsight. Yes there was Rudy, Rhodes and Cairney, but there was some serious dross too wasn't there?

17 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Honestly, with keepers I don’t think it matters what league they’re playing in. A shot is a shot, a cross is a cross etc. If he’s been scouted right, a 26th old international keeper who has just recorded some of the best stats around shots saved etc in Europe, isn’t really a “punt”….

Don't talk nonsense. If that were the case, why don't England managers pick the keeper whose team are top of League 2 and whose stats are probably off the charts then?

Despite your seemingly rather strange efforts to convince everyone what a great window this is (seems the same thing from you every window) this lad is a huge gamble. Very odd after getting our fingers burnt with Wahlstedt. 

Might turn out great though, who knows?

• Like 3
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Those are my feelings as well jim. I am feeling exceptionally underwhelmed after what seemed a very bright start to the window a few weeks ago.

I feel a lot will hinge on the signing or otherwise of Cantwell. He seems to be the marquee signing of the window and right now I'm expecting it to go the same way as our other high value deals of recent windows.

IF however he signs and can chip in with double figures that will take a lot of pressure off the unproven strikers and the signing will raise morale.

IF we can also sign a couple of decent pacey wide men and maybe a RB and if both full backs are better than the present incumbents and if the keeper is better than Pears it will have been a pretty good window in theory.

If nothing were to happen from here though I'd call that a very disappointing window other than shifting Gallagher.

£40m plus in sales and nil net spend.

Sadly thats Venkys in a nutshell. Hopefully the recruitment works out in spite of such a lack of interest and investment again from the owners.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Forever Blue said:

What Fulham player? We’re on about wingers - you said we had better options than Dembele who we’re going to sign on longer contracts. 

until the deal is done, who knows

56 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

I think it's clear that isn't going to happen.

For me, Dembele for 800k is a better move than two young kids on loan.

We wouldn't pay for Dembele and Cantwell is my guess, which is ridiculous.

we see in 12 hours time, anything can happen. 

Just be clear I would have like to sign Poku and Dembele permanent or even just one of them. 

Still like another centre back in. Just like you would like another striker 

Edited by chaddyrovers

3 minutes ago, superniko said:

I'd be amazed if he isn't an upgrade on Travis (although i'm expecting us to go with Travis - Baker - Tronstadt as a 3 if Travis isn't sold)

Where would you play Cantwell if we go ti 3 in midfield?And If we sign the two wingers 

Playing a midfield 3 would make too many of the attacking options we have in the squad redundant.

In my opinion it will be 2 of Travis,tronstad, Baker and Buckley starting, playing 3 in there will only happen if the circumstances of the match call for it,  I really don't see a midfield 3 as a starting formation with the squad we have 

• Like 2

I've not had time to catch-up on any 'Cantwell progress' but he won't be ready to play this weekend, he's been training with the kids since they came back for pre-season, I doubt they'd risk him, but what do I know!

If he hasn't signed by now, he must be considering other offers would be my assumption....

Edited by Gav

1 minute ago, islander200 said:

In my opinion it will be 2 of Travis,tronstad, Baker and Buckley starting, playing 3 in there will only happen if the circumstances of the match call for it,  I really don't see a midfield 3 as a starting formation with the squad we have 

We could play like that for a bit while Cantwell gets up to speed, don't see him starting games for a while if he's had no pre season.

Also think we'll carry on with Hedges/Dolan/JRC out wide for a while and the new lads will be off the bench to stretch the game late on.

So while we have improved the overall squad, I'm not totally convinced we have the first 11.

3 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Where would you play Cantwell if we go ti 3 in midfield?And If we sign the two wingers 

Playing a midfield 3 would make too many of the attacking options we have in the squad redundant.

Baker could play the JRC role. 

I think the assumption is we are going to play 2 out and out wingers, but not sure that’s a given. 

Edited by Forever Blue