BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

Just now, MarkBRFC said:

We could play like that for a bit while Cantwell gets up to speed, don't see him starting games for a while if he's had no pre season.

Also think we'll carry on with Hedges/Dolan/JRC out wide for a while and the new lads will be off the bench to stretch the game late on.

So while we have improved the overall squad, I'm not totally convinced we have the first 11.

Eustace has said he wants pace in the team. Can’t see him leaving both quick lads on the bench while those others start and look like they’re running in treacle.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

If hes playing in an inferior league with totally different demands in terms of physicality, of course it is a punt.

You could sign a player from non league and say a goal is a goal.

Every signing is a punt. Some signings work out and some don't. That's football

13 minutes ago, Scoobydo said:

Cantwell is done 

great news. Very good signing

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Where would you play Cantwell if we go ti 3 in midfield?And If we sign the two wingers 

Playing a midfield 3 would make too many of the attacking options we have in the squad redundant.

In my opinion it will be 2 of Travis,tronstad, Baker and Buckley starting, playing 3 in there will only happen if the circumstances of the match call for it,  I really don't see a midfield 3 as a starting formation with the squad we have 

Yeah that's fair enough. Buckley isn't even in the conversation. If it's 2 it'll be 2 of Travis, Tronstad and Baker in that case. It appears Baker is a little more attacking than the other two. Not a bad headache for Eustace to have, squad depth is something we've lacked for a long time (relying on Markanday, Vale, Telalovic, Garrett from the bench).

Also - I checked the Stoke forum after the message I replied to, and it looks overwhelming positive towards Baker (i.e. disappointed that he's going), so not really sure what Jim was on about.

https://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/313942/baker?page=6

All talking fairly positive about the pick up for Rovers

😄

image.png.c0c22abc91a3ef37c5b81ff5d7a0dcba.png

Edited by superniko
  • Like 2

I like how we are debating where the new signings will play. A big improvement on wondering how we'll cobble together a half decent starting 11.

Competition for places has been an alien concept at our club for too long, glad it seems to be returning.

• Like 8

• Backroom

Cantwell had the X factor, small risk but well worth taking 

If done I’d throw him in tomorrow at least from the bench, seems the type that could provide a spark in a derby 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Gav said:

I've not had time to catch-up on any 'Cantwell progress' but he won't be ready to play this weekend, he's been training with the kids since they came back for pre-season, I doubt they'd risk him, but what do I know!

If he hasn't signed by now, he must be considering other offers would be my assumption....

Cantwell is coming here Gav, rest here

6 minutes ago, Forever Blue said:

What deal? We aren’t signing the linked wingers on permanents. Unless they’ve found the £7m transfer war chest again 🥹

We see what the deal is when announce. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Honestly, with keepers I don’t think it matters what league they’re playing in. A shot is a shot, a cross is a cross etc. If he’s been scouted right, a 26th old international keeper who has just recorded some of the best stats around shots saved etc in Europe, isn’t really a “punt”….

I don't agree with that whatsoever. A shot from Messi is very different to a shot from Chris Brown. A cross from Beckham is very different to a cross from Jake Batty, or even someone like Conway who was very good at them.

Power, accuracy, swerve. The positioning and aerial ability of the opposition players in the box. All of these things and many more differ between professionals and leagues. A league ranked about 12 below ours I think it was, and with a lot less money in it, is going to be poorer in these aspects and both saves and catching crosses will inevitably be easier.

If we followed your logic he'd be one of the best keepers in Europe, clubs would be all over him, and he wouldn't be available at anything like a million. Maybe he turns out brilliant at this level too, but it absolutely is a punt. One I'm not too comfortable with given our goalie situation. If we were also selling Pears and bringing in a proven performer like Iversen, Rushworth etc, I'd be very happy with it, but now we desperately need the lad to be much better than Pears.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Forever Blue said:

So you’re saying we’re signing the two wingers on a permanent with the £7m war chest. Cool.

Not what I said at all. I said wait until the deal is announce. The Fulham winger is out of contract at the end of this season I read on transfermarkt website

2 minutes ago, Forever Blue said:

Fulham have rejected the Stansfield bid from Brum according to Sky

Good.