BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

41 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

On paper this is our best squad since we got relegated and in spite of our owners lack of interest and having a pair of bafoons at the head of the table.... the club seems to be running smoothly behind the scenes at the moment

Definitely happy with where we've ended up given the circumstances, but Mowbray had at least 2 seasons with superior squads to this, maybe more, bowyer had 2 seasons with way better squads too, JDT's first season was probably similar to this one.

Go and have a look at the 14/15 or 20/21 squads. Travesties that we couldn't get into the playoffs with those squads

This was a great window, takes us from odds on favorites for relegation to mid table with hopes of higher if luck comes.  Net positive for FFP bean counters and maybe one day if the owners can ever fund the club we could push on. Here’s to losing my 100 quid bet on us being relegated. 

• Like 2

Just now, goozburger said:

"...previous lists..."

You take waggots word for that?I've never heard him say that publicly, in the comfort of his office to a few individuals. 

Broughton said different on a podcast available to anyone to listen too, the Szmodic wasn't on any list and it was Ben Rosen who identified and pushed for Szmodic to be a priority target 

Broughton wasn't head of recruitment anyway his job wasn't to identify and scout players,  we had a head of recruitment, scouts and analysts for that. Ultimately had big say along with Jdt who we eventually went for from the lists compiled on a whole most were poor signings.And the people in recruitment do look a lot better now 

But Szmodic was brought in under Broughtons watch so credit where credit is due

It makes me laugh that people on here know Waggott tells lies like, but will go off what he says when it comes to suiting a narrative about Broughton. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Rover1984 said:

Well and truly had there pants pulled down and spanked by Fulham! Shown desperation, good player but could you call it a great signing at that price

he will get 25 goals easily in league one so i can understand that bit,paying that much i really can`t,big club could have brought a loan signing in from the premier league if they wanted a goalscorer for the season

Just now, yankfan said:

This was a great window, takes us from odds on favorites for relegation to mid table with hopes of higher if luck comes.  Net positive for FFP bean counters and maybe one day if the owners can ever fund the club we could push on. Here’s to losing my 100 quid bet on us being relegated. 

lets not forget that venkys don`t want us promoted,they`ve destroyed every team we had that got near the top six

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, islander200 said:

You take waggots word for that?I've never heard him say that publicly, in the comfort of his office to a few individuals. 

Broughton said different on a podcast available to anyone to listen too, the Szmodic wasn't on any list and it was Ben Rosen who identified and pushed for Szmodic to be a priority target 

Broughton wasn't head of recruitment anyway his job wasn't to identify and scout players,  we had a head of recruitment, scouts and analysts for that. Ultimately had big say along with Jdt who we eventually went for from the lists compiled on a whole most were poor signings.And the people in recruitment do look a lot better now 

But Szmodic was brought in under Broughtons watch so credit where credit is due

It makes me laugh that people on here know Waggott tells lies like, but will go off what he says when it comes to suiting a narrative about Broughton. 

Where did I even mention Waggott or that I "took his word for that". It was widely known and even reported by our "local journo" at the time that the first transfer window under Broughton/Tomasson was short and we revisited players that we had looked at previously, of which Szmodics and Brittain were well-reported as being two of.

As for "Broughton wasn't head of recruitment anyway", it came directly from his mouth that he was ultimately responsible for recruitment as part of his remit. He oversaw it, even if it was delegated. That's directly from him. You're just making up your own narrative on what he did or didn't do.

It makes me laugh that, without even mentioning Waggott, you can surmise that I'm somehow his champion and you've got yourself all wound up. 😆

Edited by goozburger
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, goozburger said:

Where did I even mention Waggott or that I "took his word for that". It was widely known at the time that the first transfer window under Broughton/Tomasson was short and we revisited players that we had looked at previously, of which Szmodics and Brittain were well-reported as being two of.

It makes me laugh that, without even mentioning Waggott, you can surmise that I'm somehow his champion and you've got yourself all wound up. 😆

Waggott was the one who first mentioned previous lists.Now Brittain il accept was a previous target 

But like I said Broughton Publicly dispelled Szmodic being on a list and credited Rosen.I can forward you the podcast if you would like to view it?Can you show me quotes from the club that Szmodic was on a previous list?

I'm not being arsey with you here and maybe Broughton is lieing, but I don't remember anything mentioned about Szmodic being on previous lists other than from a few members on here who had been told this by waggott 

Edited by islander200

3 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

We've probably only spent £2.5m (max) despite receiving £40m in transfer fees

It's really poor tbh.

We'll never rake that much money in again and if we need to bring in £40m just to spend £2.5m, it's a bleak outlook. We've not signed anyone who'll be going for £10m+ in the next few years either, surely the model was to reinvest in players who would be sold down the line for good money and the reinvestment cycle continues. 

No idea what the plan is now.

Despite that, somehow I'm pretty happy with the business We've done. Hungarian keeper is a complete unknown but Cantwell, Beck, Baker and Duberry should be solid signings to boost options throughout the squad. Cantwell could be a superb acquisition if he hits the heights we know he can.

The only thing I won't agree with is that we've not signed anyone that will be sold for £10m+.

The market is clearly absolutely bonkers. If Gueye scores 15 goals this season and continues to be an absolute menace someone would take a punt on him. Cantwell was a £40m player a few years ago.

That said, it's incredibly worrying that we've paid an absolute pittance out in transfer fees after banking £40m from sales - tells you all you need to know about the state of the club and the owners' commitment to it. 

• Like 2

Both Broughton and the current group were massively hindered by our terrible owners and in different ways.

That being said, in the main its hard to argue that Broughton got close to being as efficient as he possibly could even allowing for those restrictions and I am glad hes gone.

In his first summer, he had a reasonable budget and bought pretty well. He also had probably less of a wage budget and owners actively reducing his budget mid transfer window, even blocking frees and loans.

I would say though, lets not get ahead of ourselves in suggesting that the current group are brilliant in comparison. Broughton tried to be inventive by going abroad in Wahlstedt/Telalovic which failed miserably. Ohashi and Gueye have already shown promise so hopefully we will have more success in this market, Toth is a total unknown at this stage. 

Broughton was poor in the loan market too, lets hope Beck/Cozier Duberry (less of a risk with Baker but that is almost a free transfer) fare much better than Ayari/Morton/Chrisene but we have little to go on with them too.

There is also a bit of overlap in targets as we wanted Cantwell and Batth but the owners wouldnt allow him to do so.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, goozburger said:

As for "Broughton wasn't head of recruitment anyway", it came directly from his mouth that he was ultimately responsible for recruitment as part of his remit. He oversaw it, even if it was delegated. That's directly from him. You're just making up your own narrative on what he did or didn't do.

On this part...  Jdt had final say on the players coming in he also said.(granted the lists where crap) but the lists were compiled by recruitment not Broughton 

I'm agreeing Broughton wasn't good enough but there is absolutely no evidence that Szmodic was on a previous list.

2 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

The only thing I won't agree with is that we've not signed anyone that will be sold for £10m+.

The market is clearly absolutely bonkers. If Gueye scores 15 goals this season and continues to be an absolute menace someone would take a punt on him. Cantwell was a £40m player a few years ago.

That said, it's incredibly worrying that we've paid an absolute pittance out in transfer fees after banking £40m from sales - tells you all you need to know about the state of the club and the owners' commitment to it. 

Sure if Gueye bags 15 goals we could demand a good fee but tbh I don't think he'll score that many this season.

I'll be surprised if he gets into double figures.

15 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

We've probably only spent £2.5m (max) despite receiving £40m in transfer fees

It's really poor tbh.

We'll never rake that much money in again and if we need to bring in £40m just to spend £2.5m, it's a bleak outlook. We've not signed anyone who'll be going for £10m+ in the next few years either, surely the model was to reinvest in players who would be sold down the line for good money and the reinvestment cycle continues. 

No idea what the plan is now.

Despite that, somehow I'm pretty happy with the business We've done. Hungarian keeper is a complete unknown but Cantwell, Beck, Baker and Duberry should be solid signings to boost options throughout the squad. Cantwell could be a superb acquisition if he hits the heights we know he can.

Pretty much how I feel. I really don’t want anyone to be fooled by our owners - they are committing absolute peanuts for transfers and wages compared to what we’ve brought in. We should be thankful for zero.

I still feel we’re lacking one real pacey option out wide. If the Brighton lad doesn’t hit the heights or if he gets injured, we’re screwed. We’ve got such a slow squad.

Edited by G Somerset Rover
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Sure if Gueye bags 15 goals we could demand a good fee but tbh I don't think he'll score that many this season.

I'll be surprised if he gets into double figures.

Well he's already got 2...

39 minutes ago, Rover1984 said:

Well and truly had there pants pulled down and spanked by Fulham! Shown desperation, good player but could you call it a great signing at that price

Probably giving him a fortune In wages too.

Surely they will, but be some laugh if they didn't get promoted 

• Like 2

With the money brought in I think the club should have invested money on a couple of young attackers, and brought another defender in  and spent on a proven goalkeeper (not saying the guy we signrv won't turn out to be a bargain) but he clearly wasn't first choice and we should be able to afford slending £2 or £3 million on a goalkeeper opening up a wider market 

I'm satisfied with what we have done but extremely pissed off with what we haven't done and have to say if they don't send money over soon next season our budget could be back to no fees being spent and only loans...the really cheap ones 

• Like 1

That money won't be seen again now .Kaminski, Szmodic,Phillips, Adam Wharton,Brereton Diaz all gone since the end of 23 season amongst others 4 of them contracted to Premier league clubs and 40 odd million added to the club accounts and all we get is pennies spent in return with more than half our buisness a sticking plaster lasting 12 months 

I've had a few beers now so I'm ranting but will this nightmare ever end

• Like 2

• Backroom
12 minutes ago, Southside Rover said:

Surprised by the lads ambition too. Premier League sub to League 1 when Championship clubs were enquiring.

He's got more faith in Brum than anyone on the outside has.

Imagine they are paying him over the odds as well 

• Like 1