BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

Incredible to think that Birmingham paid £5m more for Stansfield than Liverpool did for a 26 year old with 51 full caps for Italy.

It's going to end in tears at St Andrews.

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

The rules are different in League One BTW. 

8 minutes ago, Ricky said:

Yep, but this year will count as one of their 3 year cycle when they come back up. Basically they will have to be promoted again or they will be in trouble. Losses for this year will be big. 

Yes, its part of the reason why there have been a few recent quickfire and even double promotions from League 1 to the Prem.  If a club with enough revenue ends up in League one and spends "right", then they can build a top end Championship team whilst in League 1 without the spectre of Championship FFP (Ipswich, Sheff Utd, Norwich have all done this recently) , then as long as they get up form the Championship to the Prem in one or 2 years, FFP (or whatever it is now called) doesn't bite them.

Huge issues come though if they stall in the Championship for any more than 2 years, unless there is major resale value in their squad

Edited by KentExile

6 hours ago, islander200 said:

We missed out on De Lange by not moving quickly enough and paying the fee that his club wanted , I think it was rumoured at the time we where £400k short on their valuation,  now he was clearly further up their list than the guy we have eventually signed (I'm not saying the new fella is a bad signing, I know nothing about him, ohashi and Gueye have looked good so let's hope he can be similar. But still after the money brought in its so small time to lose out on a preferred target for as little as £400k 

I didn't want Dembele, the manager did and supposedly recruitment wanted something else,  but nothing was signed for the left hand side. Where did that money go that was going to pay for that.

Half our signings leave in 12 months time 

The signings we have made look good and potential bargains but still plenty of unknowns aswell

We should have been able to strengthen a lot more longer term with the funds brought in 

This can't work long term if we want to at least stay in the championship you can't keep selling your better players for millions and replacing them for peanuts 

I am not saying this is the case, as I am not privy to the Rovers bank accounts. But £400k is a lot, if you haven't got it.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, arbitro said:

Incredible to think that Birmingham paid £5m more for Stansfield than Liverpool did for a 26 year old with 51 full caps for Italy.

It's going to end in tears at St Andrews.

Not sure how it can’t based on their losses. This year will be even bigger.

IMG_6080.jpeg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ricky said:

Not sure how it can’t based on their losses. This year will be even bigger.

IMG_6080.jpeg

They are around £6m down this season with the new Sky deal alone.

6 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Because if you spend more money, you naturally open the door to a bigger range and better calibre of player?

Because if you spend money, you can end up with a higher proportion of players contracted for longer than 1 season? Rather than just 4.

Because if you spend money, it allows you to potentially sign assets that can grow and be valuable in the future? As we look thin on the ground in this regard.

Because if you have more money, we could potentially have added two or three on top of what we already have? With one or two areas/certain attributes look a bit thin on the ground.

It doesnt mean that at least some of our new signings wont be good signings nor would we have swerved them had we had more money. It isn't a reflection of their respective abilities.

I think us doing better than you dreamt perhaps shows that expectations were so low to begin with. It may well prove that recruitment has been very efficient amidst the restrictions, but assuming that is the case, those same talent spotters likely would have thrived more with more money.

You can also end up with the likes of Brereton and Gallagher. Neither, in my eyes, were worth the money that was spent on them.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 2

Overall opinion on the window is positive, when framed within the chaos that our structure causes. We should be able to spend more but alas for whatever reason that isn't the case.

Not going to get excited about play-offs or above as we still haven't beaten anyone of note and Eustace has a lot to prove with the new squad, but we should have enough about us to avoid a relegation battle at least.

• Like 1

The signing of Cantwell in particular has far exceeded my expectations.

We still have massive issues, though. Three quarters of the back line are suspect; we've no idea if Pears has actually been adequately replaced; the team is still one paced; and I'm not sure where the goals are going to come from.

The real test will be if/when we lose 2 or 3 key players to injuries or suspension. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, arbitro said:

They are around £6m down this season with the new Sky deal alone.

Gambling on promotion. One thing I did notice is they've followed the Chelsea model - Stansfield given a 7 year contract! That's bonkers especially in league 1. 

I noted some comments yesterday about 3 year contracts seeming short - there's a balancing act. If the player doesn't work out - Leo for example - can be harder to shift them and you're left covering their wages for years to come. I imagine a fair few at Chelsea will be content to sit it out. 

• Like 2

Just now, Wheelton Blue said:

I'm not sure where the goals are going to come from.

Ohashi, Gueye, Dolan, Siggy, JRC, Hedges, Weimann. No I'm not just listing our scorers but it is the point - hopefully 3 or 4 can hit 10+ goals this season and we're not reliant on one source. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, alex l said:

Ohashi, Gueye, Dolan, Siggy, JRC, Hedges, Weimann. No I'm not just listing our scorers but it is the point - hopefully 3 or 4 can hit 10+ goals this season and we're not reliant on one source. 

I would be amazed if three or four of our squad hit 10 goals.

Here's hoping, though!

Feel like we a still short but time will tell 

fast winger

Fast striker 

Left sided cb

Think anything above 15th will be a success given this squad . Think the above would have got us near top 6 even if they were loan signings . Seems a waste to have 2 spots left unused 

Ah well guess we must be saving the war chest for January

Would guess around 5 million banked this summer plus raya money 

Just no real assets left to sell 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, rigger said:

I am not saying this is the case, as I am not privy to the Rovers bank accounts. But £400k is a lot, if you haven't got it.  

It shouldn't be when you have taken 40 million in in transfer fees 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tom said:

Imagine they are paying him over the odds as well 

He was there last season and clearly has affection for the club. He’s signed because the owners are aspirational and will be going for double promotions and have the population and potential to finally be a ‘big club’.

9 minutes ago, islander200 said:

It shouldn't be when you have taken 40 million in in transfer fees 

If we have 40 million of disposable cash, I will agree with you. But I would doubt that we have.

So it is the day after, and I’m still feeling slightly optimistic. Not in the sense of going up or reach the play-offs, but I’m no longer dead certain we will be in a relegation battle all season. Somewhere in the middle will do. Kudos to the recruitment team for a job well done. Now it’s up to those on the field to keep us in this division (oh how we have fallen…)

I'm still pondering why we spent bugger all on transfers.

In the context of previous windows, this window is rather better with all the caveats attached to the keeper, left back and winger.  For a normal club this would be an okay window.

Gk - toth / Pears / hilton

Lb - pickering /beck

rb - brittain / duru

cb - hyam / carter / batth /mcfazdean / wharton 

Cm - travis / tronstad / Baker/ Buckley

Am - cantwell / dolan /gilsennan

Lw - hedges / sigurdsson 

Rw - crozier-dubarry / jrc / weimann

Striker - guaye / ohashi / Leonard/ tyjon

If my maths are right we will only register a 23 man squad - presuming wharton won't be registered 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alex l said:

Gambling on promotion. One thing I did notice is they've followed the Chelsea model - Stansfield given a 7 year contract! That's bonkers especially in league 1. 

I noted some comments yesterday about 3 year contracts seeming short - there's a balancing act. If the player doesn't work out - Leo for example - can be harder to shift them and you're left covering their wages for years to come. I imagine a fair few at Chelsea will be content to sit it out. 

Gambling the entire existence of their club on it potentially, yeh. I wish our asshat owners had shown far more ambition financially, but not to the ludicrous level Brum have.

I really hope they don't do this double promotion people are mentioning on here, this type of recklessness shouldn't be rewarded.

15 million when you've already broken the League One transfer record twice is just obscene. In relative terms, it's orders of magnitude bigger than what even City did in the Prem!

Edited by bluebruce

57 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

I would be amazed if three or four of our squad hit 10 goals.

Here's hoping, though!

Feels possible to me - think Gueye, Ohashi and Cantwell will all get that number. Dolan, Hedges, Sigurdsson, Wiemann all have a shot at it.

The signs are we will exceed the goals from last season. My concerns are much more on the goals conceded side.

47 minutes ago, Rochdale_rover said:

Think anything above 15th will be a success given this squad . Think the above would have got us near top 6 even if they were loan signings . Seems a waste to have 2 spots left unused 

Disagree with your forecast.

Have to be shooting for top 10 as a minimum.

53 minutes ago, Rochdale_rover said:

Feel like we a still short but time will tell 

fast winger

Fast striker 

Left sided cb

Ah well guess we must be saving the war chest for January

Would guess around 5 million banked this summer plus raya money 

Just no real assets left to sell 

Dread to think where you thought we’d finish before we made any signings..

1 hour ago, Wheelton Blue said:

The signing of Cantwell in particular has far exceeded my expectations.

We still have massive issues, though. Three quarters of the back line are suspect; we've no idea if Pears has actually been adequately replaced; the team is still one paced; and I'm not sure where the goals are going to come from.

The real test will be if/when we lose 2 or 3 key players to injuries or suspension. 

You have to say the team still has many individual weaknesses, not least in defence. The new goalkeeper could be another Wahlstedt, in which case we're stuck with Pears, who cost us at least 10 points last season

But you never know. Ipswich went straight through the division with a League One winning team which must have been weak in several positions too but obviously have a very good manager

I guess it all down to Eustace and a bit of luck, which as long suffering fans we deserve

• Like 2