BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

On 31/08/2024 at 17:29, imy9 said:

Omar Rekik has been released by Arsenal. On loan at Wigan- worth a look?

He’s very well thought of but had injuries over last 12 months. Asked Arsenal to tear his contract up after he failed to get a loan move apparently.

He played at Ewood for Wigan the season they got relegated and looked the part, mobile, good on the ball.

Injury issues will definitely be a concern though.

Signings of the summer = the new recruitment team? I'd give them 10/10 given the restrictions in budget again. I think they did much better than we could have hoped for. They have gone for a mix of experienced championship talent and gambles from abroad. There's no way GB and the previous recruitment team would have pulled these signings out of the bag. 

Two of the gambles - Gueye and Ohashi - look very impressive so far. The GK position is one where I'd like us to have gone for proven talent but it wasn't to be.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, rovers11 said:

Signings of the summer = the new recruitment team? I'd give them 10/10 given the restrictions in budget again. I think they did much better than we could have hoped for. They have gone for a mix of experienced championship talent and gambles from abroad. There's no way GB and the previous recruitment team would have pulled these signings out of the bag. 

Two of the gambles - Gueye and Ohashi - look very impressive so far. The GK position is one where I'd like us to have gone for proven talent but it wasn't to be.

I agree but a 26 year old Hungarian international is hardly unproven talent as these things go. 

But then again, Wahlstad had a full Swedish cap....

36 minutes ago, philipl said:

I agree but a 26 year old Hungarian international is hardly unproven talent as these things go. 

I'd argue the opposite, he's no experience at this level. Could be Kaminski or could be Wahlstedt. It's a risk - but so was De Lange who was our number one target. 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, dallydally said:

Who proof reads this stuff from? Obviously no-one!

14 hours ago, dallydally said:

Now amended after I emailed them!  

FFS! You shouldn't have to it's amateurish it's obvious no-one proof reads these things this wouldn't happen in a non-league set up let alone another Championship club how these things are not checked I'll never know 🙄🙄

• Like 1

On 31/08/2024 at 01:39, Dreams of 1995 said:

Overall I think it is has been a good window

I do understand what people mean when they say, considering the money brought in, the outlay looks poor. There’s a lot more to consider than just the transfer fee though. Our salary costs must have increased and that is owed to being able to put some of that transfer pot back into the player budget

Not all of the £40m will be made available. Unfortunately, this is a fact we just have to accept

Generally, we addressed the right areas. From what I believe we would have liked another winger but that budget was stretched. The choice was Cantwell or two loans and the club took the right option for me. It looks as though Hedges and Siggy would need to be managed carefully. Without them pair, our natural width is limited

Cantwell could become a real top player here. Let’s not forget that we have a history for taking on players who have fallen out with previous clubs and giving them a new lease of life. Rovers is a very forgiving place and I don’t think our fans care what happens off the pitch, so long as your performances are good when you are on it

In an ideal world we could have added another centre half. It is a tricky one - we have Hyam and Carter as first choice with McFadz and Barth second choice and Pickering can cover as the worst case. You may have been hard pressed to find a centre half to come into that set up that made financial sense given what we required up top

I am happy with the window. I wish we had signed Cantwell earlier and managed to get him into the Burnley match squad. For me, a good performance by any of the new players in this game will cement their standing with the fans. I have to give credit to Gestede and Park for a well managed window and for some outside of the box thinking. It has to be said, Eustace stuck to his guns over players like Ryo Germain and if that is what allowed us to land Cantwell in the end then he played a blinder too

We are going up 

Selling a generational talent not seen since Damien Duff, the league’s best goal scorer and our star academy talent (‘losing’ rather than selling in latter case) all in a calendar year for c.£30 million(?) and spending, at a wild guess, no more than £5/6 million(?) in new signings and also an unknown amount of signing on and loan fees taking that figure towards £8/9 million(?).

Could well be off with the figures and certainly the new signings seem promising but understandably, our expectations have fallen. There’s certainly no need for impulsive, rushed expenditure, However, older players and loans will help us stay alive in the league, hopefully, but real investment is needed to be sustainable long-term. 

I would hope we can sign a Cozier-Duberry or Beck permanently in Jan, if they’re doing well. Would be saleable talents in future or players we could build the team around but have no expectations that this club will do so. 

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, riverholmes said:

Selling a generational talent not seen since Damien Duff, the league’s best goal scorer and our star academy talent (‘losing’ rather than selling in latter case) all in a calendar year for c.£30 million(?) and spending, at a wild guess, no more than £5/6 million(?) in new signings and also an unknown amount of signing on and loan fees taking that figure towards £8/9 million(?).

Could well be off with the figures and certainly the new signings seem promising but understandably, our expectations have fallen. There’s certainly no need for impulsive, rushed expenditure, However, older players and loans will help us stay alive in the league, hopefully, but real investment is needed to be sustainable long-term. 

I would hope we can sign a Cozier-Duberry or Beck permanently in Jan, if they’re doing well. Would be saleable talents in future or players we could build the team around but have no expectations that this club will do so. 

Probably no chance we sign either permanently, Cozier-Duberry only joined Brighton in the summer and if Beck does well ,another championship club will buy him as Liverpool will be looking for more than our owners will pay 

1 hour ago, riverholmes said:

I think you've easily doubled what we actually spent on transfer fees with your wild guess. Unless you're including wages - in which case you'd have to factor in the wages that have gone out of the door too in that £30m+ figure. 

• Like 4

23 hours ago, philipl said:

I keep seeing him described as a Hungarian international, but as far as I can see he has 0 caps.

He has played his entire career in a weak league. He's a gamble, he's unproven at this level. Hopefully he's a gamble that pays off.

• Like 1

• Backroom
4 hours ago, NeilInBristol said:

Just a quick shout out of appreciation for our backroom staff. Working extremely hard for us ! Much appreciated!! 

In fairness, only ten pages of people being dickheads out of 848 is decent going. Some other forums I’m a member of can be toxic af (and that’s the stuff that’s not hidden).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bluebruce said:

I keep seeing him described as a Hungarian international, but as far as I can see he has 0 caps.

He has played his entire career in a weak league. He's a gamble, he's unproven at this level. Hopefully he's a gamble that pays off.

Yep just the same as Leo but a good bit older and more experienced although still below championship level.

The main defining factor i feel will be character, Walsted never looked comfortable he very much resembled a rabbit in the headlights on the pitch despite seeming of a confident nature in his interviews.

If this lad is more grounded and steady that will make a big difference as at his age he should be ready to step up, Leo wasn't.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike E said:

In fairness, only ten pages of people being dickheads out of 848 is decent going. Some other forums I’m a member of can be toxic af (and that’s the stuff that’s not hidden).

There are other Blackburn Rovers  Forums …….?????

• Like 1