BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

50 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Honestly I think that's your lot for the season. Only way we buy in January is if we sell again. 

If we don't sell I still think we'll get one or two loans. Maybe stretch to getting Germain since he'll be free.

A surprise win in court for Venkys might rob them of their excuse and shame them into putting a mill or two in, but I think the most likely outcome there is probably another case postponement.

4 hours ago, islander200 said:

Who said that is the plan? 

I doubt very much the plan is to keep developing Pears when the club where looking for a new number 1 in the summer.The plan was obviously bringing in a new number 1 goalkeeper.

And just because Eustace didn't sign Ruddy or Rushworth doesn't mean that he decided Pears will be number 1 and we will sign a number 2 to challenge him instead .Toth could be 20x the goalkeeper Pears Is for all you and I know.

And Toth could make an almighty cock up or 2 in his first 2 games,then where does that leave Pears, Toth and Eustace? 

Would that mean Pears goes straight back in? If not, why not? 

You're not thinking of the bigger picture. If you're going to drop Pears from a team which is 5th having not lost a game, you're saying that Toth is your number 1.

Toth then has to be almost mistake free, he most definitely has to be defeat free. One or two defeats after an unbeaten start would leave Eustace in a right mess. 

I don't think he will drop Pears, I don't think he should drop Pears, it will happen as and when it's necessary. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, M_B said:

And Toth could make an almighty cock up or 2 in his first 2 games,then where does that leave Pears, Toth and Eustace? 

You're not thinking of the bigger picture. If you're going to drop Pears from a team which is 5th having not lost a game, you're saying that Toth is your number 1.

Toth then has to be almost mistake free, he most definitely has to be defeat free. One or two defeats after an unbeaten start would leave Eustace in a right mess. 

I don't think he will drop Pears, I don't think he should drop Pears, it will happen as and when it's necessary. 

Common sense and lessons learned approach just doesn't apply to some here but the actions of the head coach over the next few weeks just might.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Common sense and lessons learned approach just doesn't apply to some but the actions of the head coach over the next few weeks just might.

It could be that he plays Toth, but I'd be amazed, unless there's an injury obviously. 

• Like 1

Watched the Gestede interview and it is as you would expect. Constant arse kissing of the owners and saying how great they are. With it being in house media, the questions are very friendly and any answers are not challenged.

It also cleverly feeds those who look for the same tag lines to defend the owners. FFP is a favourite, we should be absolutely nowhere near the line to the point that it didnt need mentioning.

The installment line was also trotted out. We will also be signing players in installments but that wasnt said. I presume we will have a number of windows of money spent now if we will have regular installments coming in? Of course not.

Its just Venkys propaganda, theyve done their bit by reinvesting £3m of £40m, so come on, do your bit by spending some of your hard earned money on our very expensive tickets.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, M_B said:

If Toth isnt better than Pears then he is a very poor signing.

I think people wrongly box Toth off as either being Kaminski standard or perhaps more likely Wahlstedt standard, the likelihood is somewhere in the middle.

I would understand the argument if Pears was an average, safe pair of hands but be is the total opposite. He hasnt kept a clean sheet this season and has been very fortunate that a number of big mistakes have not led directly to goals. The team is doing well but its not as if he individually has made himself undroppable.

If Pears makes a solitary mistake leading to a goal, would that warrant him being dropped? Would he have to make 2 or 3? And would any goalkeeper we sign have had to wait in the same way, in your opinion?

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Watched the Gestede interview and it is as you would expect. Constant arse kissing of the owners and saying how great they are. With it being in house media, the questions are very friendly and any answers are not challenged.

It also cleverly feeds those who look for the same tag lines to defend the owners. FFP is a favourite, we should be absolutely nowhere near the line to the point that it didnt need mentioning.

The installment line was also trotted out. We will also be signing players in installments but that wasnt said. I presume we will have a number of windows of money spent now if we will have regular installments coming in? Of course not.

Its just Venkys propaganda, theyve done their bit by reinvesting £3m of £40m, so come on, do your bit by spending some of your hard earned money on our very expensive tickets.

Mentioned this before but in the absence of Venkys funding or the usual amounts at least then technically the club have re-invested millions more than the small outlay of fees.

Because wages on new addition contracts and add on fees will all be coming out of the future income instalments because it can't come from anywhere else.

Aside from the clubs small non player related income of course.

1 hour ago, M_B said:

I don't think Pears has played well this season ,accident waiting to happen .In near every game he has made mistakes, even on Saturday coming out for a cross he was never going to get to that Foster near scored from

Eustace clearly wanted a new number 1 the other keepers being linked.Now Toth wasn't his pick but recruitment don't look to have done too bad with the other players .

Not every foreign goalkeeper that hasn't played in the league before Is gonna be crap like Wahlstedt,and Pears has not looked good so I would be putting this fella in 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

If Toth isnt better than Pears then he is a very poor signing.

I think people wrongly box Toth off as either being Kaminski standard or perhaps more likely Wahlstedt standard, the likelihood is somewhere in the middle.

I would understand the argument if Pears was an average, safe pair of hands but be is the total opposite. He hasnt kept a clean sheet this season and has been very fortunate that a number of big mistakes have not led directly to goals. The team is doing well but its not as if he individually has made himself undroppable.

If Pears makes a solitary mistake leading to a goal, would that warrant him being dropped? Would he have to make 2 or 3? And would any goalkeeper we sign have had to wait in the same way, in your opinion?

You know my opinion, you've just replied to it. 

I hope Toth is the best keeper we've ever had, but I don't think Eustace will play him yet, nor would I for the reasons I've given,unless it's a forced change of course. 

Edited by M_B
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, M_B said:

You know my opinion, you've just replied to it. 

I hope Toth is the best keeper we've ever had, but I don't think Eustace will play him yet, nor would I for the reasons I've given,unless it's a forced change of course. 

Regardless of what Eustace will do, we agree that Pears will remain but discussing what we would do. I was just wondering as to what has to happen before you would suggest a change of goalkeeper. Is it one strike and you are out, cost us a goal and then we change, is it a few mistakes, if you was the manager at what point would you make a switch? 

And also, if it had have been a domestic goalkeeper, say Ruddy who you seemed to be for the signing of, would the situation be different ie would you want him straight in or would it still be a case of continue with Pears?

I feel like Wahlstedt has perhaps stung peoples trust in overseas goalkeepers. He had over a month of being here, a couple of cup games, Pears had been typically error prone up until then so you could argue that conditions were great for him. Bedded in, couple of practice games and not a case of having to replace a keeper in anything but dreadful forn. The benchmark was so low, timing wasnt an issue, but he was just so shit that regardless of when he was put in, he was going to struggle. 

5 hours ago, bluebruce said:

If we don't sell I still think we'll get one or two loans. Maybe stretch to getting Germain since he'll be free.

A surprise win in court for Venkys might rob them of their excuse and shame them into putting a mill or two in, but I think the most likely outcome there is probably another case postponement.

After 14 years it's pretty obvious they have no shame.

You need self respect for that.

Something that hasn't been mentioned from the Gestede interview...at 5 minutes in he says that Toth was a Ben Benson recommendation. Benson looked at the data, was impressed with Toth's and told the recruitment team to look into it further in order to sign him. "He's a very good goalkeeper" according to Benson. The recruitment team then did their checks and agreed. Let's hope he is good, as the latter haven't got much wrong so far in terms of signings.

11 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

Something that hasn't been mentioned from the Gestede interview...at 5 minutes in he says that Toth was a Ben Benson recommendation. Benson looked at the data, was impressed with Toth's and told the recruitment team to look into it further in order to sign him. "He's a very good goalkeeper" according to Benson. The recruitment team then did their checks and agreed. Let's hope he is good, as the latter haven't got much wrong so far in terms of signings.

Time for Ben Benson to prove his worth...

4 hours ago, islander200 said:

I don't think Pears has played well this season ,accident waiting to happen .In near every game he has made mistakes, even on Saturday coming out for a cross he was never going to get to that Foster near scored from

Eustace clearly wanted a new number 1 the other keepers being linked.Now Toth wasn't his pick but recruitment don't look to have done too bad with the other players .

Not every foreign goalkeeper that hasn't played in the league before Is gonna be crap like Wahlstedt,and Pears has not looked good so I would be putting this fella in 

Agree 100% I'd be very surprised and disappointed if Toth didn't start against Bristol City 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Regardless of what Eustace will do, we agree that Pears will remain but discussing what we would do. I was just wondering as to what has to happen before you would suggest a change of goalkeeper. Is it one strike and you are out, cost us a goal and then we change, is it a few mistakes, if you was the manager at what point would you make a switch? 

And also, if it had have been a domestic goalkeeper, say Ruddy who you seemed to be for the signing of, would the situation be different ie would you want him straight in or would it still be a case of continue with Pears?

I feel like Wahlstedt has perhaps stung peoples trust in overseas goalkeepers. He had over a month of being here, a couple of cup games, Pears had been typically error prone up until then so you could argue that conditions were great for him. Bedded in, couple of practice games and not a case of having to replace a keeper in anything but dreadful forn. The benchmark was so low, timing wasnt an issue, but he was just so shit that regardless of when he was put in, he was going to struggle. 

I certainly wouldn't try to preempt a mistake, not with the start we've made. As I've said, dropping Pears now for whoever was the other keeper, Ruddy or otherwise, would potentially leave any manager with a future headache. 

You're automatically assuming that Toth will be better than Pears. If I had been given a keeper to work with, I would be thinking what if he isn't? 

I'd be thinking, why would I change a keeper I know, when we're unbeaten and 5th in the league, for a keeper I don't know?

It isn't shying away from making a decision, it's making the decision at the right time. 

Seems like this summers business was a bit of a random amalgamation of targets from different players.

Im unsure what he meant when he said that Gueye and Ohashi were targets from before. Had they come from when Broughton was at the club as im sure that I read that we bid for or enquired about Ohashi in January.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, M_B said:

I certainly wouldn't try to preempt a mistake, not with the start we've made. As I've said, dropping Pears now for whoever was the other keeper, Ruddy or otherwise, would potentially leave any manager with a future headache. 

You're automatically assuming that Toth will be better than Pears. If I had been given a keeper to work with, I would be thinking what if he isn't? 

I'd be thinking, why would I change a keeper I know, when we're unbeaten and 5th in the league, for a keeper I don't know?

It isn't shying away from making a decision, it's making the decision at the right time. 

Pears is a keeper we know, a keeper we know isnt very good.

Not a safe pair of hands, a keeper who makes loads of mistakes.

• Like 1

• Backroom
7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Pears is a keeper we know, a keeper we know isnt very good.

Not a safe pair of hands, a keeper who makes loads of mistakes.

Equally, John Filan was a keeper we knew, a safe pair of hands.

Why replace him with some Yank who barely got a game in Liverpool’s reserves?

• Like 3
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, M_B said:

Do you think Pears has played well this season ?

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Why is Benson choosing players over the manager?

Not sure he is, RG just says Toth was identified by Benson as a potential signing through use of data. It’s then up to the transfer committee to agree to sign him. Eustace is part of that committee, and gets the final say. 

• Like 1