BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

2 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Au contraire, Pears has been given many chances and failed most of them.

Burnley goal not particularly his fault though. A top class keeper may have prevented it, but I don't expect a top class keeper for us at this level. I mean, he does kinda move out of the way of it, but Foster had so much of the net to aim at, you can understand a keeper starting to move as he has a lot of goal to try and cover.

Overall though, he simply isn't good enough. And it's not a snap judgement, or some weird pointless bias, it's from watching him play for years.

When I say not given a chance, I'm not talking about managers who certainly have given him a chance. I'm talking more about some on here who had an agenda against him from the start, believing it was an old pals act signing  between Mowbray and his old mucker goalkeeper.

Agree that he isn't good enough for no 1, but considering we bought him for around £200,00 ( I think), if we were to sell him we would certainly make a profit.

2 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

When I say not given a chance, I'm not talking about managers who certainly have given him a chance. I'm talking more about some on here who had an agenda against him from the start, believing it was an old pals act signing  between Mowbray and his old mucker goalkeeper.

Agree that he isn't good enough for no 1, but considering we bought him for around £200,00 ( I think), if we were to sell him we would certainly make a profit.

Whatever we paid for Pears, we were robbed.

9 hours ago, Mike E said:

Equally, John Filan was a keeper we knew, a safe pair of hands.

Why replace him with some Yank who barely got a game in Liverpool’s reserves?

Because Souey knew exactly what he was doing in that case & what he was getting in that 'keeper.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

The fans have seen him get all those chances and have had plenty of opportunity to make our minds up and see that he is shit, and should be cover at best. If he had impressed enough everybody would have forgotten about the old pals act. Do you honestly think we would care about that if he had shone for us? There was a preconception, sure, but the problem is Pears has done nothing to dispel it. When he did play well for a little spell, everyone eased off him and many of his long term critics (including me) gave credit where it was due. 

Believe we paid about 500k for him actually.

Pears is a keeper who is OK 90% of the time, and pretty bad about 10% of the time. He can and does make a few good saves and have the odd game where he looks actually pretty decent, but most of the time he is either fine but not exceptional or at risk of a serious error. 

Realistically he would be a keeper who could sit on your bench for years as an understudy to a first choice no 1.  - probably not going to kick off about playing time and alright in a pinch if called upon. There are absolutely teams who would pay 200k for that and think it cheap.

47 minutes ago, rigger said:

Would you pay £200,000 for Pears, I wouldn't ?

Rigger, what matters is not whether you would pay £200,000 for Pears, but what another club would be willing to pay.

And I can guarantee Rovers would be looking for more than that if he were to be sold

Edited by Tugayisgod

44 minutes ago, AspRover said:

Realistically he would be a keeper who could sit on your bench for years as an understudy to a first choice no 1.  - probably not going to kick off about playing time and alright in a pinch if called upon. There are absolutely teams who would pay 200k for that and think it cheap.

I don't think he is one of those keepers. The rumours around the time he signed his extension were that he wanted assurances over his playing time first.

He has had first team football since a fairly early age with Boro, I don't think he intends to be a backup at this stage of his career. Which really is the only use I can see him serving to us or any other team in this league. Most League One sides are unlikely to pay what we paid (again, believed to be more like 400-500k) for a goalie.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tugayisgod said:

Come on, youve seen the odd comment about Mowbray and Pears.

This idea that he hasnt stood a chance with our fans because of that is utter rubbish. In fact, even after the worst performance youll ever see a professional keeper make, he was given a chance. He had a number of people even supporting the crazy decision to play him over Kaminski.

A season of constant errors later, thats why people have had enough.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

This idea that he hasnt stood a chance with our fans because of that is utter rubbish. In fact, even after the worst performance youll ever see a professional keeper make, he was given a chance. He had a number of people even supporting the crazy decision to play him over Kaminski.

I don't think there was support of the decision to play Pears over Kaminski, it was the constant denial and excuses that were dreamed up, rather than accept that Tomasson obviously chose him and rated him over Kaminski. 

15 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Sorry, can't agree . I believe there was an agenda against Pears as soon as he signed, just like some had an agenda against Gestede and didn't want him near the club, or Benson , who people criticize without knowing anything about him or his abilities 

30 minutes ago, M_B said:

I don't think there was support of the decision to play Pears over Kaminski, it was the constant denial and excuses that were dreamed up, rather than accept that Tomasson obviously chose him and rated him over Kaminski. 

I dont think he did rate him over Kaminski, I think it was more that it was lateish in the season when Kaminski recovered and its a bit more complicated to revert back at that time. Kaminski I am sure would have been number 1 again had he stayed and was starting the main pre season games.

But either way, why would people withhold opinion anyway if they felt like I did that Kaminski is and was a far better choice. Tomasson messed up with that decision.

23 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

Sorry, can't agree . I believe there was an agenda against Pears as soon as he signed, just like some had an agenda against Gestede and didn't want him near the club, or Benson , who people criticize without knowing anything about him or his abilities 

Gestede for the most part has been praised. The Benson stuff is a bit strange especially based on the misguided view that because he wasnt a good player he cant be a good coach.

But either way, you have created this Pears narrative in your head. People have had enough of him because hes crap and has proven not to be Championship standard over a long period of time, making far too many errors.

As I said, the Wigan performance would have been a potential moment where he would struggle to get the fans back. But it didnt. People simply do not rate him because he has proved himself as not capable and a big liability, and hiding behind narratives about why he signed is misleading.

Take the supposed Mowbray's mate narrative out of it, assuming it exists. Do you think people would be still desperate to get shut of him without it considering his performance levels?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

agenda?????????? most of us are fairly knowledgable about the game and knew  pears was`nt a good keeper when he played for middleborough.the fact that warnock got shut quickly and cheaply confirmed what most of us already knew

iv`e no idea why you are on about gestede for,he was a great player for us

benson came from a coaching course at a college somewhere,never played the game at any level and is now coaching professionals,contributes to a lot of menial jobs like babysitting for kaminski,wafting the subs board,making the tea at half time wielding eustace clipboard

6 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont expect him to do anything but arse lick the owners, as all employees do. Just commenting on it.

Ok

Even if people are giddy at a late window flurry spending a trickle of the funds received and a good start. You arent going to get many people enticed by a season ticket that has rocketed in price from when they were first released unfortunately. Its a shame as reaspnable pricing coupled with a good start could have led to some sales.

The price rocket up at every club I think after the 1st phase so no way did I expect STH go up massively but the walk on fan base support has been great. Playing good winning football also help attracts more walk ons

I wonder if Gueye and Ohashi like Cantwell were Broughton targets. 

Unlike tbh I would say. Maybe scouted by someone still here on the scouting team then add Park and Gestede oversee knowledge 

The only reason you mention Filan and Mimms is because they used to play for us.

Mimms was very good GK coach here, Wolves and now at Barnsley 

‘Not given him a chance’, what does that even mean?

He’s had nothing but support at the games where it matters. Message boards are taking the place of the pub or the chat over the garden fence where folk exchange opinions, if someone on here thinks he’s crap, so be it, why do they need ‘to give him a chance’?

However say it was boos at the game, totally different and completely counter productive.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Tugayisgod said:

There was therefore also an ‘agenda’ against Eustace but he’s turning it round.

The thing is the people who thought Pears wasn’t good enough have simply been proven right. 

Personally I think he’s  sub par generally, with the odd stinker (Wigan, Sheff Wed). I do think he is better than Wahlstedt who was generally poor most games (feel free to downvote @Exiled_Rover 🙂 )

But regardless of people’s initial thoughts, he has proven that they were right that he shouldn’t be first choice for even a middling Championship Club.

Edited by Hasta

53 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Gestede for the most part has been praised.

I think all 4 people on the transfer committee deserve praise for different type of signings. I do wish we had signed Dembele or Millar for good low fees. 

53 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The Benson stuff is a bit strange especially based on the misguided view that because he wasnt a good player he cant be a good coach.

Yes we don't know if he good coach on the training ground but Kaminski praised him when he left. I suggested Mimms cos he is good coach and was GK coach under 4 different managers like Allardyce. 

25 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

‘Not given him a chance’, what does that even mean?

He’s had nothing but support at the games where it matters. Message boards are taking the place of the pub or the chat over the garden fence where folk exchange opinions, if someone on here thinks he’s crap, so be it, why do they need ‘to give him a chance’?

However say it was boos at the game, totally different and completely counter productive.

Aye, it's only up to one person to give him a chance - the manager. And up to one person (Pears) to take that chance. Pears has frankly had far more of those chances than he has deserved, and fluffed the majority.

Given how poor he has been, frankly he is lucky he hasn't been booed at games. The fans have been surprisingly relaxed about him. (Not that I agree with booing your players, but football fans be football fans)

14 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes we don't know if he good coach on the training ground but Kaminski praised him when he left. I suggested Mimms cos he is good coach and was GK coach under 4 different managers like Allardyce. 

Whilst Raya did an interview some point after leaving us, where he thanked mighty Southport for developing him during his 4 month spell there, and I believe said it was the most important part of his development, and made no mention of Ben Benson.

5 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Aye, it's only up to one person to give him a chance - the manager. And up to one person (Pears) to take that chance. Pears has frankly had far more of those chances than he has deserved, and fluffed the majority.

Given how poor he has been, frankly he is lucky he hasn't been booed at games. The fans have been surprisingly relaxed about him. (Not that I agree with booing your players, but football fans be football fans)

It is one of the cosiest places to settle in as a player, a manager, even a COO.

‘Ewood Jury’, my arse

• Like 3

I dont get how we can possibly know which backroom staff are good and which not. Standard media soundbites prove nothing. We cant possibly know so any judgement becomes based on random things, people like Mimms and Filan must be good as they played for us, if youve not had a reasonable career as a player then you must be bad.

Obviously, players and managers, different story. You can directly judge their performance 

• Like 2