BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

7 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

The manager stated there were still a couple of areas we were short of options in during his pre match interview for The Bristol City match.

Striker is one and then I reckon it’s a toss up between more pace out wide (We know they wanted Godos), a RB or a CB? I personally think he’s referring to a St and a winger.

Have you got a link to that? Cheers

3 hours ago, Forever Blue said:

Have you got a link to that? Cheers

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/24580749.john-eustace-explains-new-signings-can-offer-blackburn/

It's in this, he doesn't give any specifics he just said still a couple of areas in the squad where we need to be stronger, he doesn't about what positions 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

Striker, winger (more specifically pace, as we have plenty of players who can play out wide but the problem is they are all slower than me), and a centre half is where we're a bit short for me.

A centre back with pace is the weakness there, not just a centre back. If Carter gets injured we are as pedestrian as hell there, and the whole team essentially becomes only fit for backs to the wall football.

• Like 4

This is  a big issue for us given the Club's financial position. The article overeggs the pudding a bit but the need to find so

many replacements, at the last minute and at a cost we can cover is an almighty task and surely holds us back?

We ned to make decisions on who we want to keep earlier and make them happy to stay, rather than losing transfer fees every year.

We really have cobbled the central defence together for example and at the end of the season we'll have to do it all over again.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/hedges-features-blackburn-rovers-players-will-leave-at-the-end-of-season/

• Like 1

The transfer window exceeded the expectations of most but admist talk from the manager of building a team, considering the fact that we have brought in so much money it wasnt good enough long term to only bring in 4 players on deals for longer than a year.

You look down that list and discard the 3 loans, and Dolan is obviously the stand out one where it shouldnt be that difficult to tie down long term, and even then we all know his limitations are ones that havent really improved that much. Hyam has an option in his deal and would probably be next in line for an extension. Hedges and especially Sigurdsson IMO need to do more to warrant a longer deal, and 3 of those players are aging, maybe Batth and Weimann can earn another deal but thats a decision for next summer.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Hedges and especially Sigurdsson IMO need to do more to warrant a longer deal, and 3 of those players are aging, maybe Batth and Weimann can earn another deal but thats a decision for next summer.

I think it'd be better to decide on Weimann in particular in January. If he keeps up performance levels and doesn't get injured, we may find we get some competition in the summer despite his age, and we know how well we stave off competition...

When would you make a decision on Hedges and Siggy?

Siggy has something about him but Hedges has disappointed for me.

I"ll always remember the goal he scored at QPR but that late late disaster of his at Preston still rankles.

I don't think I'd keep him. The problem here is that we probably won't get any money for him.

Dolan would attract attract a reasonable fee, .

I think he's started the season well but he'll most likely leave for nothing as well.

The most generous Club in Britain.

4 minutes ago, 47er said:

Siggy has something about him but Hedges has disappointed for me.

I"ll always remember the goal he scored at QPR but that late late disaster of his at Preston still rankles.

I don't think I'd keep him. The problem here is that we probably won't get any money for him.

Dolan would attract attract a reasonable fee, .

I think he's started the season well but he'll most likely leave for nothing as well.

The most generous Club in Britain.

Do you mean the goal he scored against Watford? Siggy is the one who smashed a couple in against QPR in probably his best performance. Hedges didn't score, but he got the goal of the season against Watford.

I'd potentially keep both players, but the wages would have to be right. I see them as good squad players but not regular starters for a team hunting the top six, which is what we would hope to be. Siggy maybe needs to show he can put a bit of graft and desire in first though. Think we'd be able to get our money back on Hedges tbh, maybe a slight profit, if it weren't for his contract running down, but it's not big bucks either way.

Dolan will only leave for nothing if he goes abroad. Otherwise he's young enough for compensation so long as we've made him an offer on equal or better terms to his current deal.

47 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I think it'd be better to decide on Weimann in particular in January. If he keeps up performance levels and doesn't get injured, we may find we get some competition in the summer despite his age, and we know how well we stave off competition...

When would you make a decision on Hedges and Siggy?

The thing with Weimann though at his age is hes already on the decline and that can suddenly accelerate. There wasnt much demand for him this summer so I think the risk of him being nabbed outweighs that of being stuck with him if hes too old to really contribute.

Hedges can be a solid squad player but he has suffered back to back hamstring tears and he doesnt contribute many goals or assists. I think he might have an option so we should hold off for now. Sigurdsson I suspect will be a high earner having done little to prove it.

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

The thing with Weimann though at his age is hes already on the decline and that can suddenly accelerate. There wasnt much demand for him this summer so I think the risk of him being nabbed outweighs that of being stuck with him if hes too old to really contribute.

Hedges can be a solid squad player but he has suffered back to back hamstring tears and he doesnt contribute many goals or assists. I think he might have an option so we should hold off for now. Sigurdsson I suspect will be a high earner having done little to prove it.

Do we know that Weimann didn't have other offers in the summer

He only turned 33 in August and doesn't look spent at all yet, I'd definitely be trying to get him tied down to at least another year 

14 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Do we know that Weimann didn't have other offers in the summer

He only turned 33 in August and doesn't look spent at all yet, I'd definitely be trying to get him tied down to at least another year 

He signed a week before the season having been on trial but my point is that going into his mid 30s, you never know when the real signs of physical decline start to show. I dont get why we would rush to extend now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Weimann only scored 3 goals in 29 appearances last season. It was well under his usual figures. This season he already has 3 in 6 games, including a worldie. He'll be one year older, but if he manages to notch a decent number it's easy to see why there'd be more interest in him next summer than there was this summer. Yes the decline can accelerate, that's why I said I'd leave it til about January. If there are no signs of decline by then, I'd give him another year if his wages aren't too high. His experience and versatility can be helpful.

Wages are key considerations for all of these sorts of players who aren't guaranteed starters. And really we don't know what any of them are on. I suspect Hedges isn't on so much, and Siggy probably is, and of the two Hedges has probably provided more but has more injury issues. I think with those two it might be keep one or the other. I suspect we'd need to move fairly soon if we decided Siggy was the one to keep, as he will have interest in Europe and strikes me as a bit of a mercenary, but like you I think his wages are probably at the top end of our structure. I think based on evidence so far, we can do better. A slight shame he'll be off on a free though as we could probably have managed 500k to 1 mill if his contract was longer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Moptop1 said:

With Beck playing so well, maybe Pickering can be used as a CB, then we only really need another CF and LW. 

I thought this at the weekend after Beck did so well. On reflection I'd be pretty happy having him on the left hand side of a three. In a back four though I think he'd only do as emergency cover. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I would give Hedges and Hyam new contracts right now. Hyam a new 2 year contract plus 1 year add on. Hedges a 2 year contract. 

On Weimann I would give him a new 1 year contract come January. His fitness is there, experience and knowledge is what we need

2 hours ago, Trinidad Rover said:

I wonder if we will go back in for Ryo Germain in January - he would be free.

Perhaps cheesed off at us messing him around in the summer. After seeing how quickly Yuki has made an impact, signing the leagues top scorer surely makes sense?

We could well go in for him, but by then Tyjon and Leonard will have played some games, So maybe we might need another striker signing. 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I would give Hedges and Hyam new contracts right now. Hyam a new 2 year contract plus 1 year add on. Hedges a 2 year contract. 

On Weimann I would give him a new 1 year contract come January. His fitness is there, experience and knowledge is what we need

We could well go in for him, but by then Tyjon and Leonard will have played some games, So maybe we might need another striker signing. 

With Hedges, he has a year plus a further option. He is at best a handy squad player but has recently suffered the same serious injury twice and doesnt score or assist enough. He doesnt offer pace either, I dont see why we would rush to give him a new deal at this stage.

With Weimann being as old as he is, he certainly wont have loads of teams fighting for his signature 6 months in advance. I would wait until probably next summer and re-assess.

Hyam would be the most sensible out of the 3, but even then its not desperate.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

With Weimann being as old as he is, he certainly wont have loads of teams fighting for his signature 6 months in advance.

That's the point. Sign him on in Jan whilst there are not 'loads of teams fighting for his signature'. If even one team is competing with us in the summer, we either lose a player we've decided to keep, and need to source a replacement again in a summer where we already have a lot to do, or pay a higher wage to keep him.

Waiting until teams are competing is why we keep losing players for bugger all.

It is pretty obvious that while transfer fees weren't splashed, the brakes were off on the wages bill this summer. Doing the deal with Dolan this Autumn is a litmus test for the club.

I am encouraged by JE's comment.

We have competition for places all over the squad which will lift performance levels but if we are in and around top 6 at Christmas then we need a couple of Prem quality players in the January window to seal the deal.

We found the send button 11 times in the summer, let's hope its not taped over again on January 31st,

Edited by philipl
  • Like 1

Yep they've used future income to up the wage budget a bit for 12 months.

Beware of it needing cutting again next summer though.

Maybe this is a Venky last throw of the dice of a promotion tilt with no money before the turd really hits the fan.

9 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Yep they've used future income to up the wage budget a bit for 12 months.

Beware of it needing cutting again next summer though.

Maybe this is a Venky last throw of the dice of a promotion tilt with no money before the turd really hits the fan.

Not sure how the turd hits the fan financially....even without them spending a penny we are fine with FFP for a long time with all the incomings recently. Obvious the club sees the installments from transfer income as running costs, not transfer/wage spend. £40m should keep the club ticking over regardless of what Venkys decide they want to spend (likely nothing).

We will be run on a shoe string for a long time and hope for the odd big sale every year. Carter will be the next one I would guess.

10 minutes ago, Trinidad Rover said:

Not sure how the turd hits the fan financially....even without them spending a penny we are fine with FFP for a long time with all the incomings recently. Obvious the club sees the installments from transfer income as running costs, not transfer/wage spend. £40m should keep the club ticking over regardless of what Venkys decide they want to spend (likely nothing).

We will be run on a shoe string for a long time and hope for the odd big sale every year. Carter will be the next one I would guess.

They've raked in c40 million which will come in over the next 12 months or so and that is covering running costs as well as extending the wage budget short term.

What comes after that is the issue if they can't or won't fund to previous levels, it'll be a stretch to rake in that kind of money in a short time again, seeing as half of it is coming from 1 big sale.

• Like 2