BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

2024/25 Season Tickets

8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

My argument is purely that the only way to make any significant difference to attendances is based on the adult prices which would need to come down quite a bit.

If someone suspected they might miss some games, if the season ticket was cheap enough they would still potentially get one anyway. If the focus is on cutting kids prices, the high adult price would be the stumbling block.

Adult prices are the key and always will be. Anything else is comparatively small fry.

Success on the pitch is the major problem. Have a winning team and fans will attend regardless of the price of ticket. 

Is the price this season a major problem why you haven't renew this season or other commitments outside meaning you know you will miss alot of games 

15 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Success on the pitch is the major problem. Have a winning team and fans will attend regardless of the price of ticket. 

Is the price this season a major problem why you haven't renew this season or other commitments outside meaning you know you will miss alot of games 

Success is obviously a big thing and would impact sales. But to say people would attend regardless of price is a very naive thing to say, a lot of people simply wont be able to afford current prices.

1 hour ago, M_B said:

Even if you halved the adult price, a flexi ticket would still be attractive to some people who couldn't physically get to every game, or still couldn't afford to go to every game. 

As mattyblue touches on, it would just cause night games and moved games to have stupidly low crowds.

Whereas if the full price was just low enough, people would be less concerned that they might miss games but the number of people with season tickets in the first place would be much higher.

Which is what Bolton (and PNE to a lesser extent) are finding, price them in the £200-£299 bracket and folk will think ‘well I will miss a fair few but feck it, I’ll get one anyway at that price’.

• Like 7

Early bird is a joke, and was typically implemented when season tickets went on sale well before the end of the season. 

I wish someone would see sense and not bother with early bird and instead retain consistent pricing. People have had one payday to get the money together. I know that I personally start getting the bug more as the season nears closer, transfers happen (maybe not in our case) and the fixture list is out, yet we've put a big blocker on any fence sitters by ramping up prices as the season edges closer. Having the early bird window shut a few days before most people are paid is also brainless - yes they might squeeze a bit of extra cash from some, but they run the risk of alienating others. 

If someone is wavering, that price increase or the feeling of 'ah I could have got it cheaper' could be enough to dissuade them. The window for purchasing at a decent enough price is small enough, especially given it's during the 'football fatigue' period, where I personally tried to forget about football after a largely miserable campaign. The Euros may focus minds again but also most people will be focusing on England rather than thinking about the dross we will likely serve up next season. 

Edited by smiller14

Yep, ‘early bid’ is something you see at normal clubs for a few months from March/April.

If you finally get them on sale not far from June it ain’t ‘early’ especially when said early bird then only lasts a few weeks and one payday.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Success is obviously a big thing and would impact sales. But to say people would attend regardless of price is a very naive thing to say, a lot of people simply wont be able to afford current prices.

You avoid answering such a simple and basic question like have you renew or not? I do wonder why you can't say whether you have or have not or just not yet but will? Or you will pick and choose your games you attend? 

Edited by chaddyrovers

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

As mattyblue touches on, it would just cause night games and moved games to have stupidly low crowds.

Whereas if the full price was just low enough, people would be less concerned that they might miss games but the number of people with season tickets in the first place would be much higher.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one, I think it's a potentially good idea. 

If tickets are so cheap that they're almost throw away, it then becomes like the Chelsea women tickets. They were all claimed but only half turned up, it is possible that they can be too cheap. 

The half season ticket may well be a more affordable option to some, you're assuming that everyone wants to go to every game, and can afford to. There are more costs involved than the ticket itself. 

Edited by M_B

‘Don’t make them too cheap, eh Swag’ luckily wasn’t the opening gambit WATR took.

Women’s tickets being sold for a quid so they can issue enough to cover a 40,000 ground for PR purposes obviously isn’t comparable to men’s season tickets in the c£250 bracket.

Clubs want fans signed up for the season, end of the day it doesn’t matter if they can’t make all the games, they have them in the tent regardless.

The quid pro quo is plenty will sign up for all the games as they are getting a good price - not a chance they are offering a ticket that allows you not to pay at all for inconvenient matches.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

You avoid answering such a simple and basic question like have you renew or not? I do wonder why you can't say whether you have or have not or just not yet but will? Or you will pick and choose your games you attend? 

The irony here is superb 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

‘Don’t make them too cheap, eh Swag’ luckily wasn’t the opening gambit WATR took.

Women’s tickets being sold for a quid so they can issue enough to cover a 40,000 ground for PR purposes obviously isn’t comparable to men’s season tickets in the c£250 bracket.

Clubs want fans signed up for the season, end of the day it doesn’t matter if they can’t make all the games, they have them in the tent regardless.

The quid pro quo is plenty will sign up for all the games as they are getting a good price - not a chance they are offering a ticket that allows you not to pay at all for inconvenient matches.

You see, I was thinking about getting more tickets sold, as has been the main argument on here. 

I thought you would be the last person to worry about whether or not half season ticket sales detracted from full ticket sales. It's a contradictory argument from your usual stance.

Knock 50 quid off, there will still be people who either can't afford, or won't buy one because they can't attend enough matches. A flexi half ticket may well appeal to the tens of thousands that are apparently waiting to get in the queue. 

Not seeing the contradiction. My view is you make them a bargain and folk buy them regardless of them missing a few games.

You offer opt outs and some matches will be (even more of) a ghost town, I obviously couldn’t wring my hands if we ended up with 3,000 on for night matches as I’d be one of the missing as I’d have bought one of those flexi ticket myself - but that’s exactly why the club will never offer it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Not seeing the contradiction. My view is you make them a bargain and folk buy them regardless of them missing a few games.

You offer opt outs and some matches will be (even more of) a ghost town, I obviously couldn’t wring my hands if we ended up with 3,000 on for night matches as I’d be one of the missing as I’d have bought one of those flexi ticket myself - but that’s exactly why the club will never offer it.

It's just a different product to sell, aimed at a different customer, it doesn't have to be seen to be at the detriment of other sales. Why are there people paying more to sit upstairs, why isn't it empty?

They'll be half the price,a lot cheaper than Preston's, they should fly off the shelves. There would still be the option of buying individual tickets for the other games, that would be allowed as well🙄. Maybe they could be discounted as well, that's another option. 

Edited by M_B

You are missing the point.

Do I think it’s a good idea for me? Too right, it’d save me cash and I wouldn’t have to think about those night games that are a right hassle for me. Same for thousands more I’d imagine.

And that’s exactly why the club won’t ever go for it as sales of a full ST would tank and it would spell the end of any kind of crowd for night games for one.

So let’s think about what is actually possible to be offered (and shown to be very successful in boosting gates with a lot of evidence nearby) - substantial reductions in season tickets. It works.

Edited by Mattyblue

We'll have to agree to disagree, although there would be the option of limiting the numbers to pilot it. If it didn't affect full sales then it could be expanded. 

Edited by M_B

Ticket bundles never work to the tune of more than 150 sales so the flexi ticket is unlikely to appeal to many other than those who would normally buy an ST knowing they wouldn't get to all games anyway.

That would make a dint in sales of full STs that would unlikely be balanced out with extra sales of flex tickets, yeah might sell a lot but the income would take a spanking as would bums on seats at actual games.

Bad idea, nobody of our ilk does it as far as i know and with good reason.

17 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Ticket bundles never work to the tune of more than 150 sales so the flexi ticket is unlikely to appeal to many other than those who would normally buy an ST knowing they wouldn't get to all games anyway.

That would make a dint in sales of full STs that would unlikely be balanced out with extra sales of flex tickets, yeah might sell a lot but the income would take a spanking as would bums on seats at actual games.

Bad idea, nobody of our ilk does it as far as i know and with good reason.

An argument which totally blows the myth that there are thousands who can't afford a full ticket, but would buy cheaper ones. 

If price is the only factor,as is trotted out daily, then the club should be inundated by potential new half season ticket buyers,especially considering the extra costs incurred by going to each and every game. 

Just now, Mattyblue said:

We introduce your idea what kind of gates do you think we get for all those midweek (cold, oh and red button) nights in the Championship?

If price is the only factor, all gates should should actually improve. 

1 hour ago, M_B said:

It's just a different product to sell, aimed at a different customer, it doesn't have to be seen to be at the detriment of other sales. Why are there people paying more to sit upstairs, why isn't it empty?

They'll be half the price,a lot cheaper than Preston's, they should fly off the shelves. There would still be the option of buying individual tickets for the other games, that would be allowed as well🙄. Maybe they could be discounted as well, that's another option. 

Me and my two mates have a season ticket and we absolutely would switch to a flexi / weekend ticket as between us we miss a few midweekers and some of the others I make are a pain to get to. I only go cos I’ve paid.

You only need to look around at a midweek game to see how many season ticket holders are missing.

A flexi ticket, whilst being ideal for many fans, would ultimately reduce turnover and murder midweek attendances.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, M_B said:

If price is the only factor, all gates should should actually improve. 

Don’t follow. Neither does Hasta and everybody else. You seem to be missing the very large hole in your argument.

You offer a flexi ticket, a load of season ticket holders go ‘thanks very much I’ll have a bit of that, it’ll cover Saturdays and I can put my feet up and get that red button pressed midweek’.

So who’s picking up the slack to traipse down to Rovers v Swansea on a Tuesday night when you’ve given ST holders (who make up the mast majority of a midweek ’crowd’, attending or not), an opt out ? 

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Me and my two mates have a season ticket and we absolutely would switch to a flexi / weekend ticket as between us we miss a few midweekers and some of the others I make are a pain to get to. I only go cos I’ve paid.

You only need to look around at a midweek game to see how many season ticket holders are missing.

A flexi ticket, whilst being ideal for many fans, would ultimately reduce turnover and murder midweek attendances.

A family of 4 used to sit next to me, they can't commit to a full ticket but would absolutely take up a half one. Same again for another bloke with 2 kids I spoke to at the grandkids footy. 

As I say, if price is the ONLY factor, they should be queuing round the block. 

2 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Don’t follow. Neither does Hasta and everybody else. You seem to be missing the very large hole in your argument.

You offer a flexi ticket, a load of season ticket holders go ‘thanks very much I’ll have a bit of that, it’ll cover Saturdays and I can put my feet up and get that red button pressed midweek’.

So who’s picking up the slack to traipse down to Rovers v Swansea on a Tuesday night? 

Your queue  of people who can't afford,