BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

2024/25 Season Tickets

• Backroom
9 minutes ago, MB Rover said:

At 23 I had -£1500 in my bank account after just leaving uni from finishing a masters.

When was that?

10 minutes ago, MB Rover said:

At 23 I had -£1500 in my bank account after just leaving uni from finishing a masters.

Did you consider yourself an adult at that stage. I hope your masters was not in accounting. Did you buy a season ticket that year ?

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1
  • Downvote 2

4 hours ago, J*B said:

Because the average 23 and 24 year old within 5 miles of the ground is struggling and doesn’t have much spare money.

And anyone above 23 is rolling in it

3 hours ago, MB Rover said:

At 23 .. I was divorced but still grafting for money..

You ...  no graft no money then ??  

• Backroom
1 hour ago, ABBEY said:

And anyone above 23 is rolling in it

So rather than get annoyed that the pricing is right for 18-23yo, get annoyed that the pricing is wrong for the rest of us.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mike E said:

Well given that she is 23 now and doesn’t turn 24 until after the season starts, she should be able to buy an 18-23 ticket, surely?

You said that she turns 24 before the cut-off point. I assume that means she must buy an adult ticket.

For the 'there shouldn't be any under 23 tickets' brigade, where do you think an appropriate cut off point is? 21? 18? No cut off and everyone pays the same?

Urging people to 'graft' is one thing, but I personally have no qualms with a discount for an age group that is typically far less well off than other age groups. Obviously there are exceptions, but if someone has spent 5 years training to be a doctor (obviously little time for a part time job!) I am happy for them to pay less. Likewise there are students and apprentices who will only just be getting a half decent wage if they're lucky. 

Sadly the economic climate is very different than what it has been in the past. The 18-23 age range are probably very vulnerable to dropping off from the football (moving away etc) so I see no commercial sense in further alienating people them and cutting off our nose even further to spite our face! 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, rigger said:

Did you consider yourself an adult at that stage. I hope your masters was not in accounting. Did you buy a season ticket that year ?

I did with a credit card, not financially sound advice for anyone £1500 in the red. But it’s not about being an ‘adult’, the world’s a different place for that age group now. Adults? Yes. As financially sound as other ‘adults’? No. They’re the generation of fans we should be packing into the ground which is why I think the young adult tickets are good ideas. The original post was not debating whether 23 is an adult, it’s stating that something as simple as buying tickets is now too much like hard work for some to even bother. If you eventually get on the website, you’re then forced to buy a category you’re not actually part of when the season starts. You then check the FAQ’s and it actually tells you the opposite of what the club said on the phone. It should be a seamless process but it’s not. Your other comment about what it was in was a bit childish to be fair, so thought you’d probably enjoy the young adult price 👍🏻 

I got my first season ticket as a 'young adult' in the John Williams era (£149 if I remember correct, whilst in my overdraft during 1st year of university). The difference back then though was that Adults were priced correctly too.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, smiller14 said:

For the 'there shouldn't be any under 23 tickets' brigade, where do you think an appropriate cut off point is? 21? 18? No cut off and everyone pays the same?

Urging people to 'graft' is one thing, but I personally have no qualms with a discount for an age group that is typically far less well off than other age groups. Obviously there are exceptions, but if someone has spent 5 years training to be a doctor (obviously little time for a part time job!) I am happy for them to pay less. Likewise there are students and apprentices who will only just be getting a half decent wage if they're lucky. 

Sadly the economic climate is very different than what it has been in the past. The 18-23 age range are probably very vulnerable to dropping off from the football (moving away etc) so I see no commercial sense in further alienating people them and cutting off our nose even further to spite our face! 

Just to add to this, your average 18-21 year old earns a bit over £22k a year before tax. This goes up to around £30k for your average person in their mid/late 20s. These numbers will be lower in Lancs, but it's obviously the period of your life where you tend to see a rapid change in how much you earn. 

So then imagine you're a struggling second division club with a half empty stadium, a modest catchment area and adult ST prices which are at the upper end of what is realistic for the area. Having a discounted young adult category to make sure that at least you don't price out fans who have just entered the world of work strikes me as such an obvious, uncontroversial idea I can't believe that we're even talking about it!

• Like 3

Well a quick tally up can tell you what is available to buy...

Blackburn End - 1488

Riverside - 3722

Jack Walker Upper - 2648

Jack Walker Lower - 1152

I just don't believe we have "smashed" any sales looking at the ticket map, it looks emptier than ever. 

Edited by MarkBRFC