BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

England - Lee Carsley Takes The Reins

14 minutes ago, rigger said:

I thought both the players you mentioned play in the premier league.

Exactly, hence them being selected. Wharton only just got into the U21 squad whilst he was with us despite outstanding statistics.. Goes to Palace and suddenly he's an England Player... Nah, he was capable of playing at that level when he was with us.. Why not get these lads in to have a look instead of waiting until they're PL

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

These particular friendlies are warm ups for a major tournament, but its understandable why Championship players dont get called up when there is quality above them playing in the Premier League,

I'm talking about exceptional talent, ripping it one division below. Lots of the games we play are absolutely nailed on wins..  I think if there's U21 players that you have a feel for in the division below, why not give them a go in those games... Blooding in the next generation....  Succession planning and all that.. I'm not talking about picking an 11 of championship players, but I think there will be circumstances in which in may be worth rolling the dice, being brave and giving someone a go from that division.. 

Saying that, I'll buck the trend and say fair play to Southgate.. Made some really big calls going into this tournament, deserves some credit.

• Like 1

• Herbie6590 changed the title to The Euros 2024
On 04/06/2024 at 13:18, roversfan99 said:

If he is fit I think Gordon is ahead (or should be) of Grealish, Maddison and Toney in attack, not starting but in the squad. Gives us pace we dont have loads of and works hard going back ahead of an out of position LB.

I would take all 4 of those players. I wouldn't take Watkins btw. 

34 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I would take all 4 of those players. I wouldn't take Watkins btw. 

Is Maddison really going to get a kick when we have Bellingham, Foden and even beyond that, Palmer and Eze?

Toney was banned for half the season and crap when he came back.

6 hours ago, Bohinen1983 said:

I'm talking about exceptional talent, ripping it one division below. Lots of the games we play are absolutely nailed on wins..  I think if there's U21 players that you have a feel for in the division below, why not give them a go in those games... Blooding in the next generation....  Succession planning and all that.. I'm not talking about picking an 11 of championship players, but I think there will be circumstances in which in may be worth rolling the dice, being brave and giving someone a go from that division.. 

Saying that, I'll buck the trend and say fair play to Southgate.. Made some really big calls going into this tournament, deserves some credit.

In most positions we have young talent playing regularly at a higher level though.

24 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Is Maddison really going to get a kick when we have Bellingham, Foden and even beyond that, Palmer and Eze?

Toney was banned for half the season and crap when he came back.

Yes he would for me. Big fan of him. 

Toney gives you physical presence up front, Watkins doesn't. 

7 hours ago, Bohinen1983 said:

Exactly, hence them being selected. Wharton only just got into the U21 squad whilst he was with us despite outstanding statistics.. Goes to Palace and suddenly he's an England Player... Nah, he was capable of playing at that level when he was with us.. Why not get these lads in to have a look instead of waiting until they're PL

He didn't even get into the under 21 squad with us , under 20 squad he was in

Even when he moved to Palace he was initially called into the England under 20 squad , and then got pushed up to the under 21s when Mainoo got called into the seniors 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Who out of those 4 does he play ahead of?

Its about having a squad with different options. 

I would play Grealish, Bellingham, Foden, Saka and Kane in most games. Rice sitting in centre midfield. I would also take Maddison, Bowen, Gordon and Palmer. Plus Toney

Edited by chaddyrovers

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I would play Grealish, Bellingham, Foden, Saka and Kane in most games. Rice sitting in centre midfield. I would also take Maddison, Bowen, Gordon and Palmer. Plus Toney

No way should or will Grealish be starting. I suspect it will be Rice and Mainoo/Trent/Gallagher (hope not the latter) with Bellingham, Foden, Saka and Kane.

39 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

No way should or will Grealish be starting. I suspect it will be Rice and Mainoo/Trent/Gallagher (hope not the latter) with Bellingham, Foden, Saka and Kane.

Grealish would start for me as I have said. His ability on the ball, skill and be able to take players on. 

I think Gallagher is very good player and if we want to play the way you posted then Gallagher would be my choice along Rice 

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Bohinen1983 said:

I'm not sure there is the talent in the Championship for that. An interesting one, though, is Leif Davis, who's Ipswich's left back and was the top assist maker in the league last season with 18 assists, apparently, a historical record. We are short of left backs but I'm not sure if he was ever in the running. I can't comment because I haven't watched him.

I think Dewsbury-Hall will play for England one day but understandable that, at the moment, the Prem midfielders are preferred.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Grealish would start for me as I have said. His ability on the ball, skill and be able to take players on. 

I think Gallagher is very good player and if we want to play the way you posted then Gallagher would be my choice along Rice 

Grealish tends to get the ball and turn back around and pass it sideways.

Gallagher is poor on the ball. Wharton, Mainoo or Trent for me.

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Grealish tends to get the ball and turn back around and pass it sideways.

Gallagher is poor on the ball. Wharton, Mainoo or Trent for me.

I stick with Grealish and Gallagher choices thanks. 

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

How are you going to fit both Grealish and Gallagher into your team?

Southgate will probably play a 4-2-3-1. Neither Grealish or Gallagher are defenders so where ae you going to put them? As @roversfan99 stated, the front 4 will be Bellingham, Foden, and Saka playing behind Kane. Rice is a definite behind those 4, leaving is one spot up for grabs next to Rice. 

You have stated that you want Rice in midfield, and both Grealish and Gallagher in the starting 11. Therefore, you have to drop one of Foden, Bellingham, Saka, Kane to make that happen.

Who are you going to leave out? 

• Backroom
2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes he would for me. Big fan of him. 

Toney gives you physical presence up front, Watkins doesn't. 

I do agree on Toney, but the question is whether he’ll come on in the second half of our 2-2 draw with Iceland.

• Like 1

Maddison has now reportedly been cut which makes sense considering the quality ahead of him. He started the season well but got a bad injury and had a few poor months when he came back. Bellingham will play there, if he isnt available then surely Foden moves there and we also have Palmer and Eze.

36 minutes ago, Mike E said:

I do agree on Toney, but the question is whether he’ll come on in the second half of our 2-2 draw with Iceland.

I feel like it is dificult to ignore how poor a season he had, missing half before then not doing much when he was available after his ban.

Both are a million miles away from Kane and neither give us what he gives should he miss a game, Toney would suit going more direct and Watkins would suit playing on the break. But the latter deserves to go.

37 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Southgate will probably play a 4-2-3-1. Neither Grealish or Gallagher are defenders so where ae you going to put them? As @roversfan99 stated, the front 4 will be Bellingham, Foden, and Saka playing behind Kane. Rice is a definite behind those 4, leaving is one spot up for grabs next to Rice. 

You have stated that you want Rice in midfield, and both Grealish and Gallagher in the starting 11. Therefore, you have to drop one of Foden, Bellingham, Saka, Kane to make that happen.

I think he meant that he would personally play Grealish ideally but if we went with that front 4 then Gallagher would be his choice to partner Rice.

I think he is bang average personally, really limited in possession and provides good energy but often leaves gaps, he often played further forward for Chelsea.

Wharton/Mainoo/maybe Trent could provide some composure next to Rice.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Maddison has now reportedly been cut which makes sense considering the quality ahead of him. He started the season well but got a bad injury and had a few poor months when he came back. Bellingham will play there, if he isnt available then surely Foden moves there and we also have Palmer and Eze.

Foden reminds me of Carney when he was here. Excellent out wide but nowhere near as effective when he was given the responsibility of being the playmaker in the midfield. Doing it for City is one thing, doing it at international level is another issue altogether.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

55 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

My team would be 

Pickford 

Walker Stones Maguire Tripper/Shaw

Bellingham Rice

Saka           Foden        Grealish 

Kane. 

If we face a Spain or Germany for example 

Then Gallagher in for Grealish with Foden moving Left, Bellingham number 10, Gallagher as CM. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Foden reminds me of Carney when he was here. Excellent out wide but nowhere near as effective when he was given the responsibility of being the playmaker in the midfield. Doing it for City is one thing, doing it at international level is another issue altogether.

I think somehow Foden is a bit underated in that he is at least on par with Bellingham for me, but because of the latters understandable and deserved hype he has become the main man. He is also unfortunate in that hes easier to move out of position as he can play from the left as you cant not play both and equally I dont think the balance is right with them 2 and Rice. It doesnt help that our weak spot is left back so he may not get the opportunity to drift like he does at City when he does go on the left.

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I think somehow Foden is a bit underated in that he is at least on par with Bellingham for me, but because of the latters understandable and deserved hype he has become the main man. He is also unfortunate in that hes easier to move out of position as he can play from the left as you cant not play both and equally I dont think the balance is right with them 2 and Rice. It doesnt help that our weak spot is left back so he may not get the opportunity to drift like he does at City when he does go on the left.

I agree that Foden is underrated and one of the reasons is that he doesn't play consistently due to squad rotation at City.  For me, he should probably be central and must start. He'd probably do a job on the left but with his ability to shoot from range and to turn on the ball, I think he can carry the attack - if he rises to the mental challenge with all the pressure. It does raise issues with fitting everyone else in but I think I would start there.

I also don't think it's ideal to have Rice as the DM; he's probably better going forward. However, there isn't an obvious other candidate in the squad.

Edited by riverholmes

7 hours ago, riverholmes said:

I agree that Foden is underrated and one of the reasons is that he doesn't play consistently due to squad rotation at City.  For me, he should probably be central and must start. He'd probably do a job on the left but with his ability to shoot from range and to turn on the ball, I think he can carry the attack - if he rises to the mental challenge with all the pressure. It does raise issues with fitting everyone else in but I think I would start there.

I also don't think it's ideal to have Rice as the DM; he's probably better going forward. However, there isn't an obvious other candidate in the squad.

He plays as much as anyone at City. Has been the leagues player of the season.