BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Burnley Boxing Day 1977

Posted (edited)
On 05/07/2024 at 19:11, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Burnley fans swear they had 27,426 home fans on that day.

Leeds took more, even though it wasn’t their fixture! 😂 

Edited by Moptop1
  • Like 1

If you look in the ‘Concourse’ section of the forum, under ‘Heaven, I’m in Heaven,’ there’s a detailed thread on Boxing Day 1977.

It’s up there as one of my top five games. We got on the Longside just before 2pm. A few minutes later the gates were locked. Rovers fans then ended up on the Beehole End and the Cricketfield Stand, probably others in the Martin Dobson Stand. 

I think 12k Rovers fans is fair estimate. Certainly no more than that. Cracking day out and as far removed from today’s sanitised offerings as you’ll ever get.

• Like 2

I was in the Cricket Field Stand with a few mates. What a roller coaster, 3-0 up and then almost throwing it away at the end. The atmosphere was amazing, there were Rovers fans everywhere. Definitely the best Dingle derby game I’ve ever been to. 

• Like 3

On 06/07/2024 at 08:09, arbitro said:

I was with a crowd of friends in the Bee Hole End after the Longside was closed to Rovers fans because it was full. That was well before kick off. There were lots of Rovers fans around the ground evidenced by the celebrations after each goal. It was easy then because there was no ticket requirement, pretty much every turnstile was cash.

Was in the Bee Hole End with my Dad. He made sure I didn't cheer when we scored and kept telling me to look miserable. I guess he didn't want to explain to my mum later that he'd put the 11-year old me in danger 😉

Mind you around the same time we stood in amongst the Scottish fans at Hampden Park for the Scotland/England game - that was an experience!!!

• Like 1

I vaguely remember the Boxing Day game in 1977.

What I remember is that I couldn't see a thing! I would have been 11 at the time, went with my Dad and managed to get on the Longside. I ended up on the shoulders of some guy stood in front.

A brilliant day.  Activities started about 8am in Accy and continued until the wee hours.  Could barely move in the Longside.  Friggin nervy ending.

Rovers fans all over that day, in the pubs, grand day out  Great win but if Fear had notched that pen would have been a cricket score.  Hanging on at the death a draw would have felt like a loss.

• Like 2