BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

39 minutes ago, KentExile said:

Last weeks question was "are Sheff Wed very good, or are Plymouth very bad?"

I think we can now safely say that Sheff Wed are not very good

It's far too early to say - those types of results happen in the Championship, heads go down after a few fortunate goals / defensive mistakes nd suddenly you're on the end of a battering. 

Agree with you there Chadster. Take away parachutes and once again there will be ‘twists and turns’ with everybody else all season (and maybe even the likes of Luton in the pack). All much of a muchness.

He's got a distinctly mediocre record other than 12-18 months at Sheffield United when he had one of the strongest squads in the division at his disposal. Average to poor at Barnsley, Leeds and Hibs and his PL spell at Sheff Utd.

Preston don't have anywhere near the resources Sheff Utd had. Could be interesting because they could be dark horses for a relegation battle.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, JHRover said:

He's got a distinctly mediocre record other than 12-18 months at Sheffield United when he had one of the strongest squads in the division at his disposal. Average to poor at Barnsley, Leeds and Hibs and his PL spell at Sheff Utd.

Preston don't have anywhere near the resources Sheff Utd had. Could be interesting because they could be dark horses for a relegation battle.

I wouldn't say dark horses for a relegation battle. More odds on.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, JHRover said:

he only got sheff utd promoted because they bought good players then did`nt pay for them,hence the fact when they did get promoted they could`nt spend any money,the excellent tommy doyle on loan was a key factor as well,heckinbottom will get nowhere near the resources he got at sheff utd

• Like 2

Heckingbottom's appointment could go either way. He played 3 at the back at Sheffield United so fits their squad currently there. He's not the manager I would have appointed there but I can understand why they have chosen him tho. 

4 hours ago, JHRover said:

It would give me bragging rights at home so I hope you're right.

On 19/08/2024 at 18:17, chaddyrovers said:

Heckingbottom's appointment could go either way. He played 3 at the back at Sheffield United so fits their squad currently there. He's not the manager I would have appointed there but I can understand why they have chosen him tho. 

How can you understand it? Based on what

• Backroom

People will say it was a terrible move for him to go to Spurs but he probably quadrupled his salary and played as many championship games last season and may do this season as if he stayed in teams around where we were.

Probably hasn’t kicked on how he’d wanted but that may have been the same here.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Tom said:

People will say it was a terrible move for him to go to Spurs but he probably quadrupled his salary and played as many championship games last season and may do this season as if he stayed in teams around where we were.

Probably hasn’t kicked on how he’d wanted but that may have been the same here.

The lad's only just turned 19 and is a centre half getting games in the Championship. I don't think he realistically expected anything different at this stage football-wise, whether he stayed here or not. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

The lad's only just turned 19 and is a centre half getting games in the Championship. I don't think he realistically expected anything different at this stage football-wise, whether he stayed here or not. 

Can he play right back? It's probably where he's going to get shoved

46 minutes ago, PotterLog said:

Hi again, Its like groundhog day, another former Rover joining you guys,

We still have Jack Vale Stokes available (seeing as you still look a striker light).  He scored a cracker against Stockport in the cup the other week (click play below, it should be in the right place) but is firmly behind Gueye and Ohashi (both bought with the Gallagher money with enough change to get Weimann in for free too) in the pecking order here.

RE Phillips.  He is a centre back, Spurs will probably have it written into the loan agreement that is where he will have to feature  Whilst he is fairly mobile, he is a big guy and would likely be exposed at full back (has the pace but maybe not the agility to play full back)  but he would not look out of place at centre back at this level alongside an experienced partner/s.  Definitely your best former Rovers pick up so far, even if we don't like him for jumping ship last summer

Edited by KentExile
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, PotterLog said:

As @KentExile says, he's a centre back. He can play, and so if you play full backs like you did under Pulis he could do a job there. But he's built like a defender, and doesn't have the skill set to do everything you want from a full back in the modern game.

Seeing as you're back, I thought I'd add my voice to those a while back saying that Moran has some talent and could be useful for you. When he first arrived he was bright (apart from his first appearance from the bench where he looked totally lost). He didn't really respect possession as much as you need to, but he travelled with the ball very nicely and had a decent touch on him.

The trouble was that it was his first proper season of men's football and we had to flog him a bit up until Christmas when we had loads of injuries elsewhere. Either physically or mentally (probably both) he hit a brick wall and his form absolutely nosedived, and didn't recover. If you've brought him in to be a squaddie, he could go well for you. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, KentExile said:

Hi again, Its like groundhog day, another former Rover joining you guys, we still have Jack Vale Stokes from seeing as you still look a striker light.  he scored a cracker against Stockport in the cup the other week (click play below, it should be in the right place) but is firmly behind Gueye and Ohashi (both bought with the Gallagher money with enough change to get Weimann in for free too) in the pecking order here.

RE Phillips.  He is a centre back, Spurs will probably have it written into the loan agreement that is where he will have to feature  Whilst he is fairly mobile, he is a big guy and would likely be exposed at full back (has the pace but maybe not the agility to play full back)  but would not think he would look out of place at centre back alongside an experienced partner/s.  Definitely your best former Rovers pick up so far, even if we don't like him for jumping ship last summer

Cheers. I'm just struggling a bit to believe we've brought in a teenager as a first-choice centre-half, although you probably couldn't hand-pick a better mentor than Ben Gibson alongside him so hopefully that's the plan. 

Gally is out for the foreseeable future, by the way. 8 weeks minimum I think is the prognosis. Stupid fuckin signing 🙄

• Like 1