BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

8 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

As @KentExile says, he's a centre back. He can play, and so if you play full backs like you did under Pulis he could do a job there. But he's built like a defender, and doesn't have the skill set to do everything you want from a full back in the modern game.

Seeing as you're back, I thought I'd add my voice to those a while back saying that Moran has some talent and could be useful for you. When he first arrived he was bright (apart from his first appearance from the bench where he looked totally lost). He didn't really respect possession as much as you need to, but he travelled with the ball very nicely and had a decent touch on him.

The trouble was that it was his first proper season of men's football and we had to flog him a bit up until Christmas when we had loads of injuries elsewhere. Either physically or mentally (probably both) he hit a brick wall and his form absolutely nosedived, and didn't recover. If you've brought him in to be a squaddie, he could go well for you. 

I think kiddies get a lot of slack while still developing. Circumstances like the ones you mention can chew up a young player. Hopefully we'll use him sensibly and he can come along.

We certainly don't play Pulis-esque full-backs any more! They do outrageous things like cross the halfway line every now and again now, it'll never do

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, PotterLog said:

Cheers. I'm just struggling a bit to believe we've brought in a teenager as a first-choice centre-half, although you probably couldn't hand-pick a better mentor than Ben Gibson alongside him so hopefully that's the plan. 

Gally is out for the foreseeable future, by the way. 8 weeks minimum I think is the prognosis. Stupid fuckin signing 🙄

Not surprised at all with Gally, does a good job (not scoring, but has strings to his bow) when he is fit (which seems to be less and less.

Phillips I think will surprise you, he was apparently wanted on loan by Getafe who are a mid table laliga club (presumably as a squad player), so I do not think Spurs would have sent him to sit our your bench when he could have been doing the same (and possibly getting some minutes) at a "big 5" league

Edited by KentExile
  • Like 2

On 23/08/2024 at 16:44, PotterLog said:

Gally is out for the foreseeable future, by the way. 8 weeks minimum I think is the prognosis. Stupid fuckin signing 🙄

He's an awful player. I think some fans need to be apologetic about him as he's a nice lad. And possibly because we've forgot what a real CF is.

• Like 2

On 23/08/2024 at 15:55, PotterLog said:

Can he play right back? It's probably where he's going to get shoved

Not a right back in a million years, too big and ponderous. As a centre half I thought he was a top prospect when he was at Rovers. He reminded me of a young Mike England, praise doesn’t come any higher. What’s happened to him since he left for Spurs I wouldn’t like to say. If he doesn’t make it it won’t be because of a lack of ability.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Not a right back in a million years, too big and ponderous. As a centre half I thought he was a top prospect when he was at Rovers. He reminded me of a young Mike England, praise doesn’t come any higher. What’s happened to him since he left for Spurs I wouldn’t like to say. If he doesn’t make it it won’t be because of a lack of ability.

played great (at CB) in the cup the other day 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Lovely to see Oxford and Derby winning - we might be half decent this year y'know. 

Easy games according to the closet Dingles... I mean Burnley f... I mean PNE fans.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, PotterLog said:

Out of interest, how have your former Rovers done so far? and how accurately did we describe them?

Quick summery of what we thought from what I can recall is pretty much the following, but correct me if I am wrong

Gally - Useful at what he does, but cant score goals and is injured too much

Moran - Skillful but no fight/inconsistent

Phillips - Not a right back, probably Stokes best centre back already

Ennis - Not a Championship level footballer

Edited by KentExile

1 hour ago, KentExile said:

Out of interest, how have your former Rovers done so far? and how accurately did we describe them?

Quick summery of what we thought from what I can recall is pretty much the following, but correct me if I am wrong

Gally - useless, apart from bizarrely sometimes when you're defending. He can suddenly jump in his own box but not in the oppositions.

Ennis - not a footballer.

Edited by booth
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, KentExile said:

Gally immediately injured so not seen him

Moran looks really promising, I know he drifted for you lot but I think he’s a talent. Started today and did well, some good through balls

I was being slightly facetious about playing Phillips at RB. He’s played 2 games at CH and looks the business. Incredibly composed for his age

Ennis I quite like despite him not really being up to the level. He has his uses, today being the perfect example - coming on to stretch defenders and hold it up. He won’t start many.

overall I’d say Moran is the one you might have been potentially most “wrong” about. He may have just been a victim of circumstance with you.

Did Baker do anything of note when he came on today?

• Like 1

Have to commend Sunderland for a fantastic start.

Of the teams that are expected to be up there I suspect that Leeds will build up some steam over time, but the jury is out on the three sides relegated from the prem. Luton in particular look to have recruited poorly. I like Sheff Uniteds signings but is Wilder still the right man for them? Not sure. Burnley's squad is likely to take time to gel. It gives the likes of Sunderland, West Brom, Boro and others some hope of challenging.

Hopefully Rovers are closer to the top 6 than the bottom 6 as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PotterLog said:

Moran looks really promising, I know he drifted for you lot but I think he’s a talent. Started today and did well, some good through balls

I was being slightly facetious about playing Phillips at RB. He’s played 2 games at CH and looks the business. Incredibly composed for his age

Ennis I quite like despite him not really being up to the level. He has his uses, today being the perfect example - coming on to stretch defenders and hold it up. He won’t start many.

overall I’d say Moran is the one you might have been potentially most “wrong” about. He may have just been a victim of circumstance with you.

IMO Moran was the right player at the wrong time for Rovers. Clearly has talent but he was never going to play in his best position due to our reliance on Szmodics. He was often shunted out wide or on occasion played CM where he got bullied about a bit.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, PotterLog said:

I would say he is number 10 but with us having Szmodics there, He wasn't going to play there. I think he is good player in the 10 role in the right team with the right manager and right tactics. 

9 minutes ago, PotterLog said:

He worked hard, positional was correct given we were down to 10 men and play on the left of midfield 4. He protect and help Beck through the last 10 minutes. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, PotterLog said:

He started off as a fan favourite but then his performances declined to the point of passenger. He'd just disappear from games.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, sharpysharps86 said:

Have to commend Sunderland for a fantastic start.

Of the teams that are expected to be up there I suspect that Leeds will build up some steam over time, but the jury is out on the three sides relegated from the prem. Luton in particular look to have recruited poorly. I like Sheff Uniteds signings but is Wilder still the right man for them? Not sure. Burnley's squad is likely to take time to gel. It gives the likes of Sunderland, West Brom, Boro and others some hope of challenging.

Hopefully Rovers are closer to the top 6 than the bottom 6 as well.

Sunderland have made a good start and They sold their best player in Jack Clarke. This new head coach seems to gel the club and got the players on side quickly 

Leeds under Farke will be up there aswell as Sheffield United. Very surprise by Luton start and the recruitment this summer. 

41 minutes ago, PotterLog said:

That’s what impressed me with Phillips, he always looked to have plenty of time. Nicely unhurried. He could go far.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, PotterLog said:

He was. There's recency bias with how we remember him. He started out looking impressive, but he simply wasn't at it in last few months when we were falling away. He'll be better for the experience though, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he has a decent prem career at some point in a few years. 

On Baker, he didn't get much of a chance to do anything with the ball. A couple of unimpressive touches in my view, but nothing like enough to judge him one way or the other. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Sunderland have made a good start and They sold their best player in Jack Clarke. This new head coach seems to gel the club and got the players on side quickly 

Leeds under Farke will be up there aswell as Sheffield United. Very surprise by Luton start and the recruitment this summer. 

Do you still think Wednesday will make the top 6?

2 hours ago, sharpysharps86 said:

IMO Moran was the right player at the wrong time for Rovers. Clearly has talent but he was never going to play in his best position due to our reliance on Szmodics. He was often shunted out wide or on occasion played CM where he got bullied about a bit.

He wasn't played in his preferred position, but his application post Christmas was diabolical. 

• Like 1