BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

2 minutes ago, norwichblue said:

Cool stat. I’m surprised there are only 8 in the entire EFL to be honest.

Shame we haven’t kept a clean sheet in any of those. Wonder if all those teams have conceded too…?

Ok curiousity got the better of me…

Blackburn Rovers and QPR are the only teams in the EFL that have both scored AND conceded in all games this season.

On 02/09/2024 at 11:59, riverholmes said:

I noticed that Sunderland signed three overseas players on deadline day, from France, Belgium and Serbia. With Rovers signing Gueye, Ohashi and Toth, it does seem as if the Championship clubs have stepped up in signing foreign nationals for their first teams. I don't have the stats, so not sure if there has been a significant change in recent times but if it is the case, perhaps, reflects a dearth in quality coming through within the country? 

It seems to go in cycles at times. Finances and Premier league stockpiling might be factors too.

It's to do with the ESC (or whatever that acronym is) rules - and English players being wildly overpriced.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

It's to do with the ESC (or whatever that acronym is) rules - and English players being wildly overpriced.

Elite Significant Contribution

Which is probably the only time in their careers that elite will be used in any way to describe Wahlstedt & Telalovic

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hull conceded 2 goals to sheff U through over playing. Both goals from when they had corners. Sheff had more opportunities to score due to overplaying.

It's amazing how many teams engage in this ridiculousness, especially at a level where players don't have the ability to consistently carry it out. 

Whatever the opinion about Eustace, I'm glad he hasn't succumbed to this disease.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BRFC4EVA said:

Hull conceded 2 goals to sheff U through over playing. Both goals from when they had corners. Sheff had more opportunities to score due to overplaying.

It's amazing how many teams engage in this ridiculousness, especially at a level where players don't have the ability to consistently carry it out. 

Whatever the opinion about Eustace, I'm glad he hasn't succumbed to this disease.

Get it down the channels and bang it into the box. Not that difficult to get your head round.

Can't wait for this tippy tappy fad to die its inevitable death.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BRFC4EVA said:

Don't tell JRC against Blackpool. 

Perhaps that was half asleep under playing in retrospect.

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

League 2 keepers and centre halves  trying one twos at the edge of their six yard box, I mean what could possibly go wrong 

It even goes bad in the Premier League. Keeper rolls it out, defenders try to find a way out as they are pressed. In the end a dodgy passbook to the keeper who's  got to belt it upfield before the opposition nick it.

He could have belted it upfield in the first place----more accurately as well.

And that's a good outcome!

• Like 2

Tomasson had Rovers playing the same way and it drove me mad at times. It was great when it came off but all too often it didn't

I remember particularly a game at Luton where they pressed us hard for 10 minutes at the start of the second half and we gave the ball away twice to gift them 2 goals. And that was it - game over. 

• Like 1

Neither of Sheff Utds goals came from Hull playing out from the back. They came from Hull losing the ball high up the pitch and getting hit on the counter. And they got hit on the counter cos they left massive holes at the back. Poor team set up and coaching. Hull looked easy to play against without offering much going forward. 

11 hours ago, Forever Blue said:

Neither of Sheff Utds goals came from Hull playing out from the back. They came from Hull losing the ball high up the pitch and getting hit on the counter. And they got hit on the counter cos they left massive holes at the back. Poor team set up and coaching. Hull looked easy to play against without offering much going forward. 

Depends on your definition of overplaying. Working an attacking corner back to your own halfway line and then getting dispossessed, is the epitomy of overplaying it imo!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Tomasson had Rovers playing the same way and it drove me mad at times. It was great when it came off but all too often it didn't

I remember particularly a game at Luton where they pressed us hard for 10 minutes at the start of the second half and we gave the ball away twice to gift them 2 goals. And that was it - game over. 

It would be interesting to know what influence Tomasson & Co. had on Adam Wharton. He’s a dream player for the minimalist touch possession football and, yet, if I remember rightly, Wharton did get rotated a bit by JDT and wasn’t a guaranteed starter, with Morton preferred at times. 

I wonder if JDT influenced Wharton’s style positively, as flourishing now at Palace, or conversely, he misunderstood Wharton and didn’t get the most out of him, like, I believe, Mowbray didn’t get the most out of Harvey Elliott - though he still did well. I’m really not sure. I suppose both are possible.

Different note, Amari’i Bell captained Luton today. He’s had an unbelievable time there after looking, for much of his time at Rovers, a lower league player. I think he might’ve been behind that very slow Scottish left back, at Rovers, whose name evades me at this moment. Bell got a call-up to Jamaica, had a really good final set of games at Rovers, left the club and has not looked back, defying all expectations to play in the top flight.

A costly deal for Rovers, though as I think a few hundred thousand pounds were spent to bring him in when he had only months left on his contract at his previous club.

Edited by riverholmes

Watched bits of Pompey v West Brom. 

West Brom are very useful with some top Championship players but don't scare me.

Pompey would have at least been level in the first half if they had a striker. Most Championship sides would be putting away the sort of openings Pompey created against West Brom 25% to 50% of the time, not going 0 in 5. They have League One bruisers up front.

Overall, Pompey will be bottom half but unlikely to be relegated because they will score against worst sides with poorer keepers than West Brom have.