BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Portsmouth look like out of the 3 promoted teams, they are the ones who arent up to the standard of the Championship. Yet to win and their side doesnt look on paper like one with anywhere near enough quality, with the loss of Colby Bishop an added blow.

Oxford and Derby have been competitive and whilst I wouldnt rule out either being dragged in to a real scrap, they look a level up from Pompey.

12 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Over the course of a season pending an unlikely and unexpected improvement, he wont score an impressive amount of goals.

He had a particularly bad season last season which was heavily impacted by repeated injuries which have also affected his Stoke career. I think had he left on the back of any other season, the comments towards him wouldnt have been nearly as strong. Tended to score 8 or 9 so was never prolific but did chip in a bit, had other useful attributes but also frustrating parts of his game, he levels out at a bottom half Championship standard striker if he stays fit.

The question for us is how much if at all the new guys are an upgrade. Theyve been available so far barring a stupid suspension for Gueye, so thats already a big plus. Gueye hasnt shown any signs of scoring us a goal yet, Ohashi has scored 4 brilliant goals but doesnt offer anything else.

He really pulled the defenders about and made space for others (Cannon). Remains to be seen if he can keep the fitness and consistency but tonight was a bloody pleasant surprise after reading you lot on here 😂

Some fans are giving him MotM - in a game where someone else scored four

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, PotterLog said:

He really pulled the defenders about and made space for others (Cannon). Remains to be seen if he can keep the fitness and consistency but tonight was a bloody pleasant surprise after reading you lot on here 😂

Gallagher has his moments and some can be very good - when fit. He scored with a push and run past the full back last season which was very impressive (albeit against Wrexham in the cup). Playing him in a two man forward line with Cannon may be a good idea as he has more support. Too often at Rovers he’s been stranded alone up front or out wide and though he tried, his technical deficiencies were exposed.  

Moran’s an interesting one. He finished top assistor, I think, at Rovers when he was here even though he lost his place in the team. He played wide but was effective in central midfield in a game or two and then made big mistakes in another and, I think never got back in the starting line-up. But, Rovers have been a very unstable team, and loanees can be affected by that. Will be interesting to see how he does.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, PotterLog said:

I always found with Gallagher you knew within about 10 minutes if he was going to get the better of the centre halves. Usually it was a resounding no, but there were games (Usually Preston away) where he caused them trouble immediately and was a pain all game. It was just they were few and far between. 

Honest player on the pitch. Met him a couple of times. Nice lad. Good with the fans, especially the youngsters. Genuinely hope he does well. Glad he’s gone.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 4

50 minutes ago, Hasta said:

I always found with Gallagher you knew within about 10 minutes if he was going to get the better of the centre halves. Usually it was a resounding no, but there were games (Usually Preston away) where he caused them trouble immediately and was a pain all game. It was just they were few and far between. 

Honest player on the pitch. Met him a couple of times. Nice lad. Good with the fans, especially the youngsters. Genuinely hope he does well. Glad he’s gone.

Yeah well there’s also the small matter that Pompey were absolutely dreadful. But still, a positive start and I think him and Cannon could form a really dynamic partnership. God knows we need it

• Like 3

• Backroom
10 hours ago, PotterLog said:

He really pulled the defenders about and made space for others (Cannon).

Yep, I know that Gally, he's an absolute beast. See report from just Feb this year:

Blackburn ratings: Gallagher fantastic but midfield off pace

Sam Gallagher - 8

Another proper workhorse performance. Ran the line brilliantly and poked past Woodman to put Rovers two ahead.

Bullies the defence, makes great intelligent runs, good layoffs, bangs in a screamer. It's all very familiar. 

Problem is I also remember the other 160 matches well. 😉

Think there's a high chance you'll be back in New Year going - "Oh, this is what you lot were on about."

But, as others have said, genuinely wish him well. Seems a good fella, and he always tries hard. Just trying often isn't enough. He's guaranteed to score against us, so I suppose you'll get the chance to crow that day. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, riverholmes said:

Gallagher has his moments and some can be very good - when fit. He scored with a push and run past the full back last season which was very impressive (albeit against Wrexham in the cup). Playing him in a two man forward line with Cannon may be a good idea as he has more support. Too often at Rovers he’s been stranded alone up front or out wide and though he tried, his technical deficiencies were exposed.  

Moran’s an interesting one. He finished top assistor, I think, at Rovers when he was here even though he lost his place in the team. He played wide but was effective in central midfield in a game or two and then made big mistakes in another and, I think never got back in the starting line-up. But, Rovers have been a very unstable team, and loanees can be affected by that. Will be interesting to see how he does.

He was never effective in CM - he's far too soft for that. He's a #10 and not athletic enough to play anything else. Sadly for him we had Szmodics in that position last year. 

13 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

championship is wide open this year,you would never have thought watford,who are in form would be getting beaten by cnut north end,the vampire has scored two for good measure,so much for the f.a and their disciplinary

Has he really? That's incredible.

He should be banned for 10 games, minimum. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PotterLog said:

You've had his one good game of the season.

For a big guy he's good at disappearing.

• Backroom

The potential was always there with Gallagher and it showed in brief glimpses, but I just don't think he ever had it drilled into him how he needed to play in order to maximize his strengths. He'll never be a prolific striker as he simply doesn't have that striker's instinct, which was notable from his often poor positioning during attacking moves, but he was also often shunted out to wide positions where he was largely ineffectual. By the time we finally moved him into the centre it was too late.

I don't have any personal ill-will towards Gallagher though. In general he put a shift in, with a few exceptions - generally when the whole team's heads dropped, which was and occasionally continues to be a sporadic problem for us - see Coventry on Tuesday. It wasn't his fault we paid a silly amount of money for him, put him on an inflated wage and then put him in an unnatural position for a significant amount of his time here. If we'd paid a much smaller amount and he'd been on a squad wage it wouldn't have been considered such a disaster.

Of course, the biggest issue during his final couple of years was that he became increasingly injury-prone. Whether that continues to be an issue for him remains to be seen.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

Goalkeepers 😲😲

That is why to win things you need a competent keeper. I love the way he blames the pitch, they are like snooker tables.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 3

Blunderland from the keeper there demonstrating yet again how poor the basics are on a lot of Championship keepers these days.

Still i suppose he's comfortable playing it out from the back.

Meslier was done by spin, flight and dip on the ball that Rashid would have been chuffed with.

Piroe looked offside for his goal.

That wasn't a foul down at the corner flag.

Bogle was yellowed for a more violent version of what got Beck a red.

I really don't like Leeds, but don't mind Sunderland.

• Like 2