BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Derby County (h) - 09/08/2024

The play from the front after the changes were positive,  Ohashi did an awesome pas to get that rolling, (or have I had tooo many drinks?)  Very selfless in that area, then went for one when he could have passed, but scored. I jokingly said to my lads, that's easily an extra million for Sammie haha. 

• Like 1

Very pleasing and comfortable win, impossible not to be happy after that.

Travis was man of the match, brilliant performance with Tronstad a great foil.

New signing wise, thought some of Gueye's general play was really promising, holding the ball up, decent turn of pace. Finishing on 2 occasions especially the second was very poor but his movement is also good, in line with what I have read that he is not a natural finisher and misses lots of chances but finds himself in goalscoring opportunites. Ohashi is a totally different player, was a bit loose a couple of times but much more composed in the final third. Weimann will potentially be a really shrewd pick up as a squad player. Lots of other players were 7 out of 10 and its such a shame that Szmodics will leave.

Pears is still a liability, has to be replaced ASAP. Out wide we are lacking and our bench was very imbalanced so we need 5 or 6 players in. We also need to be much better at defending set pieces.

Derby are terrible and easy to see why most predictions are for them to go down, less so as to why @philipl feared a rout. Full of league 1 standard players and absent of any quality. We wont have any easier games this season but youve still got to win them and we looked much better than them 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Think we have found a player in Ohashi ,lovely finish and it was a buzz to see the joy the goal brought him 

Delighted Szmodic got minutes 

Ohashi looks to have the knack of finding space. Gueye also  looks a real asset in terms of his overall play unlike Gallagher but needs to be a bit more clinical in front of goal. Hopefully the first goal will take the pressure off his shoulders.

As for SS Ipswich - his price has just gone up a couple of million. Pay up or **** off.

• Like 6

What an absolute dream start. 4 different goal scorers, 2 debut scorers, new boys look the business, first home win for Eustace, start the season on a high and lifts everyone's spirits. Really chuffed for everyone. 

Really impressed with Ohashi and Gueye. Big man is going to be a problem for a lot of teams, probably won't be the most prolific but hard work to play against. Ohashi is a very clever player and to my surprise looks like he can deal with the rough and tumble of this league. Imagine finishing a goal like that, you come from across the world, ball falls to you in front of home fans for your first chance, keeper closing you down and just dinks it over him... Unreal composure and shows his quality coming as top scorer in the J league. 

Only negative is the back 4 and keeper, as I've said, I don't think we've solved those issues yet and tonight proved it. Probably a good thing they showed themselves up a bit as they will hopefully see the need to invest quickly. 

COYB!

• Like 2

oyashi looks a natural,im`e amazed he looked that sharp without being used to the game in europe,very promising,i think he`ll be a starter before long

big mak looked short of match practice to me,though he still did more than gallagher used to do,he will definately get better

sammie might just have put another million on his fee!!!!

• Like 2

Sounds promising from the new signings. I won't get too excited about them yet because I remember certain very promising debuts which turned out to be a false dawn...Egil Ostenstad for one, who scored maybe two on his debut. What I find amusing is the fickleness of the football world. For a while, big target men were going extinct and the future was false 9's (and in the case of Rovers, Very false 9's) and now, with Erling Haaland at City, everyone is out looking for the big striker again.

I can't help but feel that selling Gent, for whatever reason it was, will be costly for the club. He's one to whip a ball in from the flank and could play anywhere there, from LB to LW. Having fast wide players would compensate for the plodding rest of team, as they can soak up the pressure and then the forwards can pounce. This is also where Szmodics will be missed, though Dolan could try to fill his boots.

I think it's fair to say that counter-attack will be the best bet for this team.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 2

Brilliant to have football back and absolutely chuffed with the win. Thought our back 4 looked good generally and they'll only improve with a better keeper behind them. Their first goal was a really impressive header but their second goal was poor. Signing a new GK should be the priority before the next league game. 

Saw enough from the new boys to feel like they'll be good options this season and a step above what we had available last season. Gueye's hold up play was good & played others in well. Ohashi was busy and took his goal really well. Weimann is the sort of signing we've cried out for for years. Took his goal well and was good in possession. 

Keeping Szmodics could be the thing that tips us from being a good Championship side to a playoff contender with a bit of luck. If he goes, they need to reinvest some of the funds into the squad. From that initial showing, there's a lot to get behind and the makings of a decent team. 

• Like 2

Frustrating at times but so pleased with the result in the end. 2nd Derby goal took the shine off it for me.

Don't want to be critical but was shocked we put another defender on at the end with Derby on the ropes. In my opinion Siggy should have been given a run to replace Dolan, then bang it's 4-2. 

Not read the entire thread so apologies if mentioned already but defensively I thought both full backs looked well off it and as a fan of JRC I think he was poor tonight.

The rest were good to excellent though and really pleased for the lads.

7 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Gueye looked a handful, but I also felt like he backed off the chase a few times. Just sharpness, maybe?

I think so too, the shot he had looked weak as piss, hopefully after a bit of work we can install a ruthless streak in him. We will see. 

59 minutes ago, Ricky said:

Thought JRC didn’t look on it but maybe he’s better bombing on from fullback. Pears did well for the goal line clearance but doesn’t fill me with confidence. Thought Hyam looked shaky. Couple of runs out where he lost the ball and put us in trouble but then also made some good clearances.

New signings all impressed. Big Mak looked a handful and will be useful for us and Ohashi took his goal brilliantly. Weimann was in the right place to take advantage of a great bit of play from Carter.

Always happy with an opening day win. Derby we’re poor and the worry is that they still scored two past us

Derby will score a lot of goals from set pieces this year. Their delivery was excellent.

Edited by Exiled_Rover
  • Like 1

They seemed well drilled in that respect, we di  out play them for large parts of the game though. Everything they got s corner, had goal written all over it. 

Plus really fucked me off when Pears did the one haded dive shit, commit, use two hands and let your body take the fall, fucking piss flap. If the lads keep doing that and working the ball well, then they deserve some decent backup, what's the point otherwise. 

Debut goals, decent crowd, big atmosphere and not actually screwing it up. Ultimately winning well. What’s going on?

That was a great night

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 5

We are going to entertain our way to the premier league!! if Pears stays as our no1 we'll be conceding 2 or more most games so we need to get 3 to win games.Tell Ipswich the fee has gone up after tonight,it's now 15 million,put up or shut  up.

Someone open up a new promotion thread as we're top of the league and staying there!!! I've got a case of the Chaddys tonight, no negativity only positivity.ready to be brought back down to earth in the next game though😀

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, riverholmes said:

Sounds promising from the new signings. I won't get too excited about them yet because I remember certain very promising debuts which turned out to be a false dawn...Egil Ostenstad for one, who scored maybe two on his debut. What I find amusing is the fickleness of the football world. For a while, big target men were going extinct and the future was false 9's (and in the case of Rovers, Very false 9's) and now, with Erling Haaland at City, everyone is out looking for the big striker again.

I can't help but feel that selling Gent, for whatever reason it was, will be costly for the club. He's one to whip a ball in from the flank and could play anywhere there, from LB to LW. Having fast wide players would compensate for the plodding rest of team, as they can soak up the pressure and then the forwards can pounce. This is also where Szmodics will be missed, though Dolan could try to fill his boots.

I think it's fair to say that counter-attack will be the best bet for this team.

I only saw Gent play once in the preseason but he didn't look rapid. 

Not a fan of Pears like many but I don't think he can be blamed for the 2 Derby goals and don't recall him doing anything else tonight to draw criticism although I'm sure the time will come.

Thought it was quite telling that losing Big Mak and his presence at corners left Hyam and Carter exposed. The players that came on didn't have that presence so we left ourselves open at the following set pieces and shipped 2 goals as a result.

Can't argue with the impact the subs had at the other end but we do need someone else with stature and presence, e.g. a pacey 6ft 5 left back 😉

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1