BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Derby County (h) - 09/08/2024

11 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Leon best scored an equaliser if I remember correctly

You're thinking of a different game at Derby, Oldgregg. I think Best might have scored there around 2013/14.

Daz was on about the first day of the 2001/02 season, when Blake scored in a 2-1 loss:

• Like 2

On 02/08/2024 at 16:03, MarkBRFC said:

£25 if you buy online 🫠

Sod the walk ons.

Waggot tax is out in force yet again.

How much longer is that w*nker gonna make us suffer?

I think there may be some fresh life in us with the new signings whether Sammy stays or goes it yet to be known but a player will never be bigger than the club so I’m going 1 0 rovers in what will be a scrappy game but I think we will just edge it. 

18 hours ago, DazRover said:

Anyone remember the last time we played them on opening day? Our first game back in the big time under Souness, how times have changed.

That was back in 2001.

Last time we played them on the opening day was in 2013.

Also played them on the opening day in 1997 & 1998.

And in the opening game of 1968. Cloughie had just taken over there and you could see they were going somewhere. I remember coming off thinking I wish we’d have got him in as manager.

By the way Eamon Rogers scored the first goal in the whole of the football league that  day with a 3rd minute penalty.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

And in the opening game of 1968. Cloughie had just taken over there and you could see they were going somewhere. I remember coming off thinking I wish we’d have got him in as manager.

By the way Eamon Rogers scored the first goal in the whole of the football league that  day with a 3rd minute penalty.

His hair hung over his shoulders, tied up with a blue and white band.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, DazRover said:

Anyone remember the last time we played them on opening day? Our first game back in the big time under Souness, how times have changed.

Funnily enough we played them a few times on opening day before that.

Would you know ?

1 hour ago, rigger said:

His hair hung over his shoulders, tied up with a blue and white band.

Just looking back in Mike Hickman’s book. The attendance back then was 13,686.  Will we beat that on Friday ? Being a Friday night game live on TV I think I’d be surprised.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

2 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

That was back in 2001.

Last time we played them on the opening day was in 2013.

Also played them on the opening day in 1997 & 1998.

Playing them on the opening day in 1997, 1998 and 2001 means we played them on the opening day in three Premier League seasons in a row for us….some odds on that!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Just looking back in Mike Hickman’s book. The attendance back then was 13,686.  Will we beat that on Friday ? Being a Friday night game live on TV I think I’d be surprised.

I think we will, purely based on them bringing around 4k.

• Like 1

Bit of a conundrum how we setup... Its hard to say what our strengths are really and how to play to them... With Szmodic on his way out and Wharton lomg gone we haven't really got a key  player to build around...

I think we will probably go same as the Stockport side but maybe give Ohashi a start at 10? Drop Travis if he is really pushing to leave, play JRC in the middle with Tronstad, Dolan on the right, Hedges left and Big Mak up front?

9 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I was at that game as well.

20 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Mike Jackman.

I think you'll find Mike Hickman was the blonde striker from the Gordon Lee era chiselled out of granite!

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, roverblue said:

If Sammy still remains at the club on Friday he best be playing. We need all the points we can get early on, I can understand dodging some pointless friendlies but this game matters.

I agree whole heartedly but I wonder if the powers that be will think the pursuit of the 3 points is worth potentially missing out on £8m for if he picks up an injury.

I doubt it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I agree whole heartedly but I wonder if the powers that be will think the pursuit of the 3 points is worth potentially missing out on £8m for if he picks up an injury.

I doubt it.

Alternatively, Sammy bagging a brace might persuade Ipswich to meet the asking price...

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Mike Jackman.

I think you'll find Mike Hickman was the blonde striker from the Gordon Lee era chiselled out of granite!

I must see my optician, I’ve had these reading glasses far too long obviously !

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

I'm going with 0-0 or 2-0 loss. 

Think we will be way off it till he gets a few more bodies in. But Eustace can set up a stern side, so wouldn't be surprised if this has a bore draw all over it. Weirdly Id take a draw... Think he just needs to keep us steady until the window closes, then I would expect a bit more from us given that hes wanting at least another 3-4 players in before then, of which I expect 2 new signings would be starters to go ahead of what we already have, is what id guess would be his thinking. If it isn't, then this will be slog. 

My guess of the lineup I think he may select:
PEars
Brittain hyam Carter Picks
   tronstad Travis
JRC  Dolan  Hedges
     Gueye 

I also wouldnt be surprised to see vale start...

Edited by ruggles1995

23 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Bit of a conundrum how we setup... Its hard to say what our strengths are really and how to play to them... With Szmodic on his way out and Wharton lomg gone we haven't really got a key  player to build around...

I think we will probably go same as the Stockport side but maybe give Ohashi a start at 10? Drop Travis if he is really pushing to leave, play JRC in the middle with Tronstad, Dolan on the right, Hedges left and Big Mak up front?

Sounds like Dolan is the successor to SS in the 10 role. 

My Team would be

Pears (Ideally new keeper)

Brittain            Hyam                 Carter          Pickering

JRC                    Tronstad

Dolan                             Yuki                        Hedges

Big Mak

3-1 Rovers

• Like 1

From the evidence of preseason and Stockport away on Friday, I predict this as the line up…

Pears

Brittain.    Carter.     Hyam.     Pickering

Travis.      Sonny

JRC.           Dolan.        Hedges

Gueye

Subs - Hilton, Duru, O’riorden, Batth, Batty, Buckley, Siggy, Markanday, Ohashi