BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Derby County (h) - 09/08/2024

2 hours ago, Craigman said:

Was there really almost 18000 attendance? As shown on Rovers website?

The ground was rather full. The Darwen End part of the Riverside was ram jam full; very unusual. I was glad to be back at Ewood again after missing all of last season and part of the previous one. Great to see subs shown on the Darwen End score board plus attendance figures and goal scorers. Good game for the Sky neutrals. Good game for us. Derby are not as bad as I expected.

1 hour ago, DeeCee said:

Where's Chaddy?

Where's Wally?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rover80 said:

Because I can imagine the team smashing tha shit out of him with soap in a sock for the goals conceded 🤣🤣. I think they worked hard tonight and actually looked up for it, some decent stuff played and the goals were good, just a little bit of a  let down.  However, they seemed to have a better mentality than in previous seasons. 

eustace as sgt hartman ripping pears to pieces after  finding a jelly donut in his locker😁

41 minutes ago, only2garners said:

I was concerned when we took off Gueye, Rankin-Costello and Hedges and brought 3 dwarves on, especially given Derby’s reputation for set pieces and the fact they were winning plenty of corners. Then straightaway Derby equalised from a corner.

But then the 3 dwarves all scored inside 12 minutes so what do I know.

Dwarves is a bit harsh.

Two of them are at least 5'10" and Szmodics is probably 5'8". JRC and Hedges are hardly prolific headers of the ball either.

5 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

This is the problem with Pears and why not everyone realises he isn't good enough. He isn't always doing high profile glaring errors. He makes lots of small errors. Ones that are acceptable in say a League Two keeper but over the course of a season if you look carefully at everything he concedes there are too many where you're like 'a good keeper might have stopped that'. Take tonight's goals. Even the best do sometimes ship goals like that, so you can't just say 'yeh crap keeping'. They're a little tricky but they're right down his throat, and for my money someone like Kaminski is usually gonna save at least one, possibly both of those.

The first one, like I say it's tricky because although it's right down his throat it has decent power and is perfectly placed under the bar. But, if he sends both hands up for that instead of one he probably keeps it out. I can't say a good keeper saves that every time, but I can say there's too many of those going in over time than there are with a good keeper at this level.

I think everyone realises he isn't quite good enough, who does? 

He definitely isn't as bad as some set out  so vehemently to prove, game after game,it's getting to hysterical levels. 

With decent scouting and modest investment, I'm sure we'll end up with a more competent keeper,but if anyone thinks we'll end up with one who doesn't "cost us points", I'm afraid they're in for disappointment. 

7 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Whoever it was out of Park, Rudy or Adam Owen that picked Gueye and Ohashi must be sat back, smug as you like…I said after watching them both for 45 minutes vs Stockport that they were better than Gallagher and tonight confirmed it.

I genuinely can’t wait to see them play together and that finish from Ohashi was pure filth…

Keeper, cover Left back, cm and 2x lightening fast wingers and we’re off! 

Ohashi, looks a great signing, that finish was awesome 👌 

If we can sort out those signings, we could be decent, though we played some good stuff tonight. 

20 minutes ago, M_B said:

We've been here before and it didn't end well did it? 

Sounds like you took a notepad with you tonight, your problem is that you scrutinise Pears to such detail, that any keeper who comes in doesn't stand a chance living up to those standards. 

We will get another keeper, I'm sure we can better Pears if Gestede does his homework. Hopefully it isn't a  careful what you wish for moment , like Wahlstedt. 

Wrong. The problem he has is that Pears is an absolute liability.

Came very very close to costing us two more goals tonight. He was absolutely at fault for the second.

He's the worst keeper I've ever seen for this club.

• Like 2

Just now, Upside Down said:

Wrong. The problem he has is that Pears is an absolute liability.

Came very very close to costing us two more goals tonight. He was absolutely at fault for the second.

He'd absolutely no chance with the second 

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

eustace as sgt hartman ripping pears to pieces after  finding a jelly donut in his locker😁

🤣🤣🤣 golf ball through a garden hose, think that's more a Waggot thing though. 

9 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

Even better,  Full On Miser Waggot, be a nice promotional video.

Hopefully someone from the media department at Blackburn sees that 😁

13 minutes ago, Upside Down said:

Give over. Pears is poor but  Wahlstedt made him look like Gordon Banks.

Christian Walton was also far worse and going back in time Alan Fettis, John Butcher etc etc.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, bazza said:

The ground was rather full. The Darwen End part of the Riverside was ram jam full; very unusual. I was glad to be back at Ewood again after missing all of last season and part of the previous one. Great to see subs shown on the Darwen End score board plus attendance figures and goal scorers. Good game for the Sky neutrals. Good game for us. Derby are not as bad as I expected.

Where's Wally?

The top tiers in the Darwen and Blackburn Ends were closed, so 18k sounds about right. 

34 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Whoever it was out of Park, Rudy or Adam Owen that picked Gueye and Ohashi must be sat back, smug as you like…I said after watching them both for 45 minutes vs Stockport that they were better than Gallagher and tonight confirmed it.

I genuinely can’t wait to see them play together and that finish from Ohashi was pure filth…

Keeper, cover Left back, cm and 2x lightening fast wingers and we’re off! 

Well Gueye is gonna have to provide better finishing than that for anyone to be smug, or else he might just end up the new Chris Brown - a bit of a pain for defences but no cutting edge. Hopefully the goals will come though and I'm sure he will turn out better than that donkey.

Ohashi though, wow, the balls on that finish in your first game in a new league and country. Bravo! 

Props to Carter for a superb assist too. Sent two defenders for a kebab with a smart touch then found Weismann lurking at the back sticks when the whole Derby defence had missed him. I myself thought he was going for a sneaky shot at first.

• Like 1

On Gueye, I think folk need to temper their expectations a bit. He wouldn't be coming here if he was absolutely lethal in front of goal, otherwise he'd already be in the prem. If he manages to get 10 goals and a few assists then that would be a good return for him, makes him roughly a 1 in 4 striker. He looks a real asset to us and I'm pretty confident will be an upgrade on Gallagher. The sort of player Waggot will be looking to sell in a years time for 5-6 million probably. 

Edited by Neal
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Give over. Pears is poor but  Wahlstedt made him look like Gordon Banks.

Christian Walton was also far worse and going back in time Alan Fettis, John Butcher etc etc.

Gordon Banks is a stretch. Wahlstedt was slightly worse, from what we saw in just one season. At first when he came through he was a bit of an improvement, once he lost confidence it fell to shit, and that was that. I believe they're keepers of roughly similar ability, but Pears had more confidence.

Walton was distinctly worse though, I agree. The worst number one we've had over a full season in my time. Fettis was horrible too, seemed like every shot went in, the worst per 90 minutes played...but we only had to put up with him for about a dozen games.

• Like 3

Agreed. (With Neal) Exactly what I was thinking whilst watching it.

He started off so well I was thinking "What's he doing here for around £1m? Then he muffed a couple of decent chances and I understood why.

If he was a real handful AND lethal in front of goal he wouldn't be here. We'll have to hope he can keep up that level of performance and chip in with a few as well.

Edited by RevidgeBlue

4 minutes ago, Neal said:

On Gueye, I think folk need to temper their expectations a bit. He wouldn't be coming here if he was absolutely lethal in front of goal, otherwise he'd already be in the prem. If he manages to get 10 goals and a few assists then that would be a good return for him, makes him roughly a 1 in 4 striker. He looks a real asset to us and I'm pretty confident will be an upgrade on Gallagher. The sort of player Waggot will be looking to sell in a years time for 5-6 million probably. 

Dunno if that was in response to me talking about Gueye just above you, but I agree. I only wrote that because Mani decided it was time to be smug about him already. I think 10 goals would be a good return if he can also be a menace to the opposition. You need a player like that to disrupt teams, even if it's only as a bench option. I don't expect a top end finisher but I do expect some goals at least. When those come in we can see about being smug.

Not sure he will be selling for that tbh if he has the kind of record you suggest. He's gonna be 28 next December, and looking at what we're struggling to get for Szmodics at about a year older than that after an insane 33 goal season, I don't see 5-6 million for someone scoring 10. But you never know. For now, it's just good he's putting himself about and causing problems, gives the opposition something to think about.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Neal said:

IMG-20240809-WA0026.jpg

Early days, but almost since we signed him (I think it was from the moment he said Mr Shearer) I've had a feeling he's gonna be a bit of a cult hero here this lad. Might just be my love of many things Japanese though.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DeeCee said:

Where's Chaddy?

2 hours ago, Southside Rover said:

Waiting outside the players entrance 😀

2 hours ago, DeeCee said:

For autographs?

Maybe it's not that kind of entrance he's waiting outside...

17 hours ago, Herbie6590 said:

Please...I urge you...stop what you are doing & read what a (well-informed) QPR fan thinks about us & our chances...fabulous stuff...

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/62734

Screenshot 2024-08-09 at 08.09.28.png

Screenshot 2024-08-09 at 11.43.21.png

Imagine if they knew we'd actually fucked it up thrice (Brierley).

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, M_B said:

I think everyone realises he isn't quite good enough, who does? 

He definitely isn't as bad as some set out  so vehemently to prove, game after game,it's getting to hysterical levels. 

With decent scouting and modest investment, I'm sure we'll end up with a more competent keeper,but if anyone thinks we'll end up with one who doesn't "cost us points", I'm afraid they're in for disappointment. 

Obviously every keeper makes mistakes.

The issue is the quantity of the mistakes Pears makes. He made so many goal costing mistakes last season. 

Tonight didnt require someone "with a notepad" supposedly being over critical of his performance. In a game where a very limited side struggled to create clear cut chances, there was minimal opportunity to make a howler. But he was fortunate when he did run stupidly out and fail to get to the ball that Mendez Laing's execution was lacking and the ball was eventually cleared.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Travis starting the season well as he usually does! It's when the going gets tough that he gets less and less evective in games

I don't think it's that the going gets tough, I think he wears out a bit after giving his all for a couple of months, doesn't get rested, and just loses that 10% to his game that he needs to be effective.

• Like 7

I had no idea what to expect from the game but came away pleasantly surprised.

Dolan's early goal helped Rovers look really good in the first half. They started the second badly and it was no surprise when Derby scored. I expected the worst but got the complete opposite. Great finishes from the subs. 

Szmodics is class. I hope that he stays. Him deciding to hold his run rather than rush the 6-yard box made his goal easy.

I'll not pass judgement on the new lads as 1 game is a very small sample size (Brett Emerton's debut was one of the greatest ever and was lauded by all, yet that proved not to last as he got a lot of stick on here throughout his Rovers career).

Pears needs replacing. He makes some excellent saves at times but makes too many mistakes and there is a general air of unease that seems to affect the confidence of those in front of him. He made 2 smart saves off the attempted goal direct from a corner, but he should never have put himself in that spot. 

Hyam looked like the player who got into the Scotland squad tonight, yet he's another who can turn in an abject performance when Rovers don't need one. 

I've said this before; Dolan should not play a full 90 minutes. In short spells he can cause problems but if he starts a game he usually ends up becoming anonymous after 70 minutes. 

Edited by speeeeeeedie
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

I had no idea what to expect from the game but came away pleasantly surprised.

Dolan's early goal helped Rovers look really good in the first half. They started the second badly and it was no surprise when Derby scored. I expected the worst but got the complete opposite. Great finishes from the subs. 

Szmodics is class. I hope that he stays. Him deciding to hold his run rather than rush the 6-yard box made his goal easy.

I'll not pass judgement on the new lads as 1 game is a very small sample size (Brett Emerton's debut was one of the greatest ever and was lauded by all, yet that proved not to last as he got a lot of stick on here throughout his Rovers career).

Pears needs replacing. He makes some excellent saves at times but makes too many mistakes and there is a general air of unease that seems to affect the confidence of those in front of him. He made 2 smart saves off the attempted goal direct from a corner, but he should never have put himself in that spot. 

Hyam looked like the player who got into the Scotland squad tonight, yet he's another who can turn in an abject performance when Rovers don't need one. 

I've said this before; Dolan should not play a full 90 minutes. In short spells he can cause problems but if he starts a game he usually ends up becoming anonymous after 70 minutes. 

70 mins might be being generous.  Great early on and a lovely aware finish.  Keep that up and he will be deserving if his contract.  Still room for improvement and I think he will 

Really nice.to have subs used so friggin effectively.  Looked like a genius for that.  Long may it continue 

• Like 1