BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Derby County (h) - 09/08/2024

8 minutes ago, Forever Blue said:

Poor positioning for the 2nd, he ran too far to the other side of the goal. Poor positioning has always been a major issue with him. 

I had thought that too, bit harsh, but he gives me zero confidence.  The one he let go that hit the bar could have just as easy gone in.  Pears totally misjudged that one too.  Kad needs to go for his sake also.  New place might do him some good.

6 hours ago, only2garners said:

I was concerned when we took off Gueye, Rankin-Costello and Hedges and brought 3 dwarves on, especially given Derby’s reputation for set pieces and the fact they were winning plenty of corners. Then straightaway Derby equalised from a corner.

But then the 3 dwarves all scored inside 12 minutes so what do I know.

Snow White will be delighted I should think

• Like 4

To be clear, I’m not saying the new lads are world beaters, only time will tell…but what’s really clear is that they both have attacking instinct.

They both evoke a feeling that something could happen. Gueye is a ‘right place, right time’ guy who will get chances and be a good target man. Yuki, I had a soft spot for before last night because I saw him as a Dickov-esque barrel chested, industrious lad. Then he did that filthy chip over the keeper last night and I fell in love! 🤣🤣🤣

Two vast improvements on what we’ve had. Find four or 5 more similar level players before 30th and we’ll be just fine, for now!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, bluebruce said:

I don't think it's that the going gets tough, I think he wears out a bit after giving his all for a couple of months, doesn't get rested, and just loses that 10% to his game that he needs to be effective.

That's a pretty lame excuse for a professional footballer in this day and age to be honest

7 hours ago, yankfan said:

I think the near post save from a corner should never be that difficult. Wasn’t flicked on, no one was there should have been delt with without flapping around. Maybe just me but thought it was a good save that shouldn’t have been had to be made 

How many did Charlie Mulgrew score direct from corners? It shouldnt happen if you put someone on the near post.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, USABlue said:

I had thought that too, bit harsh, but he gives me zero confidence.  The one he let go that hit the bar could have just as easy gone in.  Pears totally misjudged that one too.  Kad needs to go for his sake also.  New place might do him some good.

or judged to perfection. Did it go in?🤣

Edited by dingles staying down 4ever
  • Like 1

I haven't read earlier posts on the game so sorry if I'm repeating others  but wasn't that a great performance from Travis? Vital part in the first 2 goals and drove forward  to great effect.

I hope those in charge make peace with him and he stays. We won't recruit better.

Gueye showed some nice touches to give me faith he might hold his place, would have liked some goal attempts though.

And Yuki put himself about and showed real cool to chip the keeper for his goal.

Early days and injuries might hit our squad hard but I'm already feeling more optimistic.

At least we appear to be competitive and the team has a "together vibe" about it.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, 47er said:

I haven't read earlier posts on the game so sorry if I'm repeating others  but wasn't that a great performance from Travis? Vital part in the first 2 goals and drove forward  to great effect.

I hope those in charge make peace with him and he stays. We won't recruit better.

Gueye showed some nice touches to give me faith he might hold his place, would have liked some goal attempts though.

And Yuki put himself about and showed real cool to chip the keeper for his goal.

Early days and injuries might hit our squad hard but I'm already feeling more optimistic.

At least we appear to be competitive and the team has a "together vibe" about it.

Travis was excellent. I rate him a lot more than most on here, I get that he's limited in technical ability but he's a good championship player. Also glad to see him have the armband again.

• Like 6

• Moderation Lead

Thought we played well on the whole, some positives for sure! Not happy about us conceding two goals to such a poor side though! Ohashi’s finish was something you love to see!

5 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

I've said this before; Dolan should not play a full 90 minutes. In short spells he can cause problems but if he starts a game he usually ends up becoming anonymous after 70 minutes. 

Agreed.

I also thought his decision making on the ball was awful 

Trying to do skill rather than release the ball early for some good opportunities happened a few times last night.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I think for many (me included) the jury was still out on Eustace - an impression formed based on some of the dour performances last season. At times last night, particularly in the first half the football wasn't dissimilar to some of the stuff we played under Tomasson. Quick, accurate passing, lots of movement and playing around opponents. There were some really good switches of play too, something we saw very little of last season under Eustace. Also most of the changes he made in games last season were on the negative side, understandably to try and eke out results but last night his triple change won us the game and for that soon the gets great praise from me.

All that said I still think it's going to be a season of ups and downs but after last night I am more relaxed. Keeping key players fit is going to be crucial.

A manager with more than one way of playing? JDT never had that

• Like 4

If and it would have been very very unlikely we'd made a couple of signings like that under Mowbray i'd have expected to see the enthusiasm coached out of them and replaced with something more rigid.  Truly hope that isn't the case with Eustace it was so refreshing to see forwards just wanting the ball and only having getting it towards the goal in their minds.

We've had good goal scorers in Rhodes, Rudy, Arma, BBD, Dack, Graham over the last few years but when was the last time we had a really good actual forward line that wasn't relying on one guy as a focal point ?

Genuinely excited by this line up now if we manage to keep Sam, if not we really need to get another good one in and we will imo be ok this season and should have better home form than last at least.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Agreed.

I also thought his decision making on the ball was awful 

Trying to do skill rather than release the ball early for some good opportunities happened a few times last night.

That was a brilliant finish though. He put the ball in the one place it wouldn’t get blocked by defenders or the keeper. There’s a player in there, no doubt.

Good start and it looks like the doom and gloom predictions of certain relegation are considerably overstated. The criticism of Pears - which now includes criticism of him for leaving alone a shot which did not go in - is becoming silly. He had no chance with either goal.

Gueye looks a very good acquisition - both goals conceded came after he had gone off and his defending at set pieces was reminiscent of how Drogba was used by Chelsea.

58 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I think for many (me included) the jury was still out on Eustace - an impression formed based on some of the dour performances last season. At times last night, particularly in the first half the football wasn't dissimilar to some of the stuff we played under Tomasson. Quick, accurate passing, lots of movement and playing around opponents. There were some really good switches of play too, something we saw very little of last season under Eustace. Also most of the changes he made in games last season were on the negative side, understandably to try and eke out results but last night his triple change won us the game and for that soon the gets great praise from me.

All that said I still think it's going to be a season of ups and downs but after last night I am more relaxed. Keeping key players fit is going to be crucial.

I preferred to give the guy a fighting chance. He came in when we were down and struggling with the JDT fan boys on his case from day one. He then did what he had to do in keeping us up. He’s had a full close season and signed a few of what I assume are his own players. Now’s the time to judge.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 4

Whatever about Pears and the fact we’re conceding continuously to balls in the box. Questions have to be asked about Hyam and Carter in how they dominate our 18 yard box. We need at least one of them to step up in that area (it won’t be Hyam). 

• Like 1