BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Norwich City (a) - 17/08/2024

Norwich up next. We seem to be in good form and Carrow Road has been a good hunting ground for us the last few years.

Given there's a Norwich lad at work I really need us to win here.

Big Mak to open the scoring with a double whammy from Yuki.

Pears will let in an easy one also.

Would go with this line-up;

image.png.dc78c09b14e0a4924bb2cb4a5aa1c3ef.png

Norwich lost 2-0 to Oxford last week, and seemingly struggled more than they should have last-night against Stevenage; winning 4-3 in the end.

They're leaking goals and aren't off to a good start... we on the other hand, I dare say that we are looking pretty dangerous in attack.

Gonna predict a win for us here; 1-2, Yuki and Sammie to score. COYB.

• Like 1

Be a tough pick to figure out which 4 attacking players to play. JRC is perhaps our best player beside Szmodics but he might find himself in a position where its hard to know in which position he will be best suited to. Im not sure repeatedly changing positions does him many favours nor is he best suited to playing out wide.

Sadly if we dont get a new keeper:

Pears

Brittain Carter Hyam Pickering

Travis Tronstad

Weimann Szmodics Dolan

Gueye

Subs: Hilton, Batth, Duru, Buckley, JRC, Ohashi, Hedges, Sigurdsson, McFadzean

• Like 1

Rovers started really well and Norwich been disorganised so far. We can be confident Eustace will set us up well (apart from the collective aberration at Ashton Gate has he ever failed in this respect for us?) so we can really go for the win. Obviously we need at least 3 goals with Pears in goal but we probably have the fire power to have a decent chance of scoring that many- not something anyone would have been expecting to be the case just six days ago.

One side request- Gueye to smack one on target. Keeper saving it is almost less important than the big man showing he has an accurate powerful shot in his repertoire. 

One thing I noticed from watching their game Vs Oxford is how slow and old their backline looked. I'm not saying ours is any better but hopefully it suits our quick attackers and quick balls in behind. Would take a draw just to keep the momentum going but hoping for a win. Id start with gueye on the bench again ready to rough Hanley and Scott dann up if needed.

51 minutes ago, Danny O.Brien said:

One thing I noticed from watching their game Vs Oxford is how slow and old their backline looked. I'm not saying ours is any better but hopefully it suits our quick attackers and quick balls in behind. Would take a draw just to keep the momentum going but hoping for a win. Id start with gueye on the bench again ready to rough Hanley and Scott dann up if needed.

They did. 

However, Hanley was taken off in that game, and last night, although it was a rotated team that Norwich played against Stevenage, both Duffy and Hanley were only on the bench..  So I do wonder if that slow and old backline will feature against Rovers. 

That being said, the young and not so slow backline conceded 3 goals against Stevenage.

Edited by KentExile

2-2 draw. Gueye and Szmodics for Rovers.

Predicted team:

Pears

Brittain      Carter        Hyam      Pickering

Travis       Tronstad

JRC           Szmodics         Dolan

Gueye

Hedges, Ohashi, Weimann and Buckley all getting minutes off the bench.

7 hours ago, philipl said:

Rovers started really well and Norwich been disorganised so far. We can be confident Eustace will set us up well (apart from the collective aberration at Ashton Gate has he ever failed in this respect for us?) so we can really go for the win. Obviously we need at least 3 goals with Pears in goal but we probably have the fire power to have a decent chance of scoring that many- not something anyone would have been expecting to be the case just six days ago.

One side request- Gueye to smack one on target. Keeper saving it is almost less important than the big man showing he has an accurate powerful shot in his repertoire. 

Great shot last night, brilliant save. 

• Like 2

my team 

Pears

Brittain Carter Hyam Pickering

Travis Tronstad

Weimann  Szmodics  Dolan

Ohashi

Press Norwich high and we will force mistakes from their backline 

Surprised to see Gueye not in so many picks... I think Gueye is almost a must start player, his size presence, hold play, pace and work ethic is hard to ignore. Get the big man scoring asap and we could be looking at 15-20 goal season striker. 

• Like 5

I suspect we have flattered to deceive in our opening fixtures, and whilst we have had a good start against weak opposition, I fully expect Norwich to be a much more demanding opponent this weekend.

If we can take the momentum and confidence from the Derby and Stockport games forward, it will certainly help us to bond this oddly assembled team of old heads, misfits and outliers together. Sometimes, taking an unorthodox approach can wrong-foot your opposition, that is for sure. However, I am sure too that Norwich and other sides in the division (including our six fingered cousins down the road) will be looking closely at how the Rovers team functions, and no doubt at what our weak spots are (no points for guessing the obvious resulting tactic there...!)

Going for an honourable draw at Carrow Road. Whilst we have enjoyed success on our recent visits, it is a big set up down there, and I'd expect a hard game in which we fall prey to our weaknesses, whilst also playing where we can to our strengths. It is too early I guess to paint us into a particular style, or to know whether we can change up games as necessary to counter opposition strengths (our lack of squad depth might be an achilles heel I guess). But the green shoots are encouraging, even if the omens aren't yet very clear.

COYB! COYP!

Definitely folk carried away after beating one of the worst sides in the division and a glorified academy team the other night.

Norwich 2 Rovers 0 and its back down to earth. 

• Like 2

Does feel like subs are going to play a big part this season... Good options on the bench both in terms of changing the attacking trio and defenders to let us move to a back 3.

Very curious to see if Szmodics appears ... Considering we played him in the cup from the start when there was absolutely no need to I think he will play. Wonder if Eustace has been told just use him like a normal player until a buying club gets serious?

23 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Does feel like subs are going to play a big part this season... Good options on the bench both in terms of changing the attacking trio and defenders to let us move to a back 3.

Very curious to see if Szmodics appears ... Considering we played him in the cup from the start when there was absolutely no need to I think he will play. Wonder if Eustace has been told just use him like a normal player until a buying club gets serious?

What we thoroughly lacked last season was a good bench. We basically had Markanday, Jake Garrett and some loanies.

• Like 1

How long since we've had game changing subs ?

Don't want to get carried away and we are still operating on a shoestring with potential of more sales but Eustace seems to have identified everything that has been missing a long long time.

Lets hope he can get a few more in and not the Rovers bodies for bodies sake method either.

Norwich  1     Rovers     1

Edited by tomphil

1 hour ago, MarkBRFC said:

Definitely folk carried away after beating one of the worst sides in the division and a glorified academy team the other night.

Norwich 2 Rovers 0 and its back down to earth. 

Derby finished 2nd in l1 and Oxford won the play offs who Norwich lost too, no team is to be taken lightly in this league 

Id play our paciest players in every game, especially away when we might counter attack more. Think JRC is decent on the ball but very slow. 

Pears

Brittain Hyam Carter Pickering

Travis   Tronstadt

Osashi       Szmodic   Dolan

Gueye

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

How long since we've had game changing subs ?

Don't want to get carried away and we are still operating on a shoestring with potential of more sales but Eustace seems to have identified everything that has been missing a long long time.

Lets hope he can get a few more in and not the Rovers bodies for bodies sake method either.

Norwich  1     Rovers     1

game changing subs .. Saturday pal haha

• Like 1