BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Norwich City (a) - 17/08/2024

I suppose the main selection headaches are further forward. Back 4, keeper and probably cm picks itself. 

Now szmodics is back into the fold you would expect him to start so there is your 10.

I'd go with Gueye ahead of Yuki up top. 

Out wide it's a tough call. Weimann has 2 goals now, Hedges gives a natural left footed option on the left, dolan scored and did well vs Derby playing as a 10. Siggy was alright on Tuesday and JRC was probably the pick of them during pre season.

Good to have options, I'd go Dolan and JRC

9 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

I suppose the main selection headaches are further forward. Back 4, keeper and probably cm picks itself. 

Now szmodics is back into the fold you would expect him to start so there is your 10.

Out wide it's a tough call. Weimann has 2 goals now, Hedges gives a natural left footed option on the left, dolan scored and did well vs Derby playing as a 10. Siggy was alright on Tuesday and JRC was probably the pick of them during pre season.

That's probably a perfect summing up of where the squad stands and needs strengthening. 

37 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

I would have Yuki on ahead of Big Mac he has more about him.  Mac is a good plan B option off the bench.

On 14/08/2024 at 12:49, Danny O.Brien said:

One thing I noticed from watching their game Vs Oxford is how slow and old their backline looked. I'm not saying ours is any better but hopefully it suits our quick attackers and quick balls in behind. Would take a draw just to keep the momentum going but hoping for a win. Id start with gueye on the bench again ready to rough Hanley and Scott dann up if needed.

My son supports Oxford so took him to last week's game

Rovers rejects were both slow, however they are a tall team and our set piece defending is not great!

References to Scott Dann had me confused for a while but assuming the poster has mixed up his Danns and Duffys.

Bad start for Norwich off the back of a pretty poor (results wise) pre season.

Will be a tough game but one we can potentially get something out of. I’d take a point if offered one now. 

• Like 1

Back from the holidays and nervously looking at our squad and the coming season. Love our opening 2 and really excited to follow Gueye and Yuki and see how they’ll deal with the championship as the season gains traction. Looks really good so far!

So why nervous? Because no posts from me and ten goals scored in two matches. I’m jinxing it ain’t I?

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Neal said:

Surprised to see Gueye not in so many picks... I think Gueye is almost a must start player, his size presence, hold play, pace and work ethic is hard to ignore. Get the big man scoring asap and we could be looking at 15-20 goal season striker. 

The reason I have picked Ohashi ahead of Gueye is I want his pressing the defenders and I feel he can cause problems for the back line passing the ball 

10 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

Definitely folk carried away after beating one of the worst sides in the division and a glorified academy team the other night.

Norwich 2 Rovers 0 and its back down to earth. 

Rovers 2-0 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Ipswich have agreed terms for Sam Szmodics, we need a decent replacement fast.

On 14/08/2024 at 09:40, Upside Down said:

Norwich up next. We seem to be in good form and Carrow Road has been a good hunting ground for us the last few years.

Given there's a Norwich lad at work I really need us to win here.

Big Mak to open the scoring with a double whammy from Yuki.

Pears will let in an easy one also.

Norwich were well beaten in there opener, it won't be a stroll in the park.

Gueye needs to play if we can get some crosses in, Norwich struggling with that.

Their coach identified our weakness on the press so we need that outball/outlet.

With the news on SS I'd go Yuki behind big Mak, Dolan left, JRC right.

Still gives us Weimann, Siggy and Hedges from the bench.

58 minutes ago, Southside Rover said:

Gueye needs to play if we can get some crosses in, Norwich struggling with that.

Their coach identified our weakness on the press so we need that outball/outlet.

With the news on SS I'd go Yuki behind big Mak, Dolan left, JRC right.

Still gives us Weimann, Siggy and Hedges from the bench.

Interestingly I can't predict our front 4 right now. Personally would go weimann right, hedges left (still think siggy has something extra though after watching Stockport game), can see Buckley coming off the bench a lot this season, particularly when behind. Important player in that regard if we don't sign another CM.. 

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Without Szmodics and also the downer that losing our talisman will potentially cause, our chances have significantly reduced.

Could also see the opposite effect as well to be fair.

The team rally round and players step up. I mean it's happened in the past few years when losing our main goal threat.....

As well as his goals he's a big personality to lose, but there does at least appear to be a few characters in that dressing room at present.

Without Szmodics,

Pears, Brittain and Pickering pick themselves for better or worse...

Choice of 2 from Hyam, Carter, Batth and McFadzean - not that bad

3 from Travis, Tronstad, JRC and Buckley - very thin but all 4 are well capable

3 from Gueye, Ohashi, Weimann, Dolan, Sigurdsson, Hedges and I guess Vale after that goal at Stockport. Even without Szmodics that is a bit of a selection headache for Eustace.

Norwich defeat at Oxford wasn't just bad, they needed a completely different system of playing. I maybe wrong and get a nasty surprise but that didn't look fixable in four days on the training pitch.

Watched extended highlights of their 4-3 win against Stevenage and read comments. Could transpose this website to Norwich or their website to Rovers - terrible owners, no transfer budget, transfer fees pocketed, horrendous defending of corners. Chuck in extreme division about their manager and some injuries. 

Doing an Oxford and preventing/disrupting Norwich's flowing pretty game is key. Do that and it will come down to cock-ups at corners to decide it with a bonus of Norwich naive static defending in open play perhaps tipping it our way?

Edited by philipl

56 minutes ago, philipl said:

3 from Travis, Tronstad, JRC and Buckley - very thin but all 4 are well capable

3 from Gueye, Ohashi, Weimann, Dolan, Sigurdsson, Hedges and I guess Vale after that goal at Stockport. Even without Szmodics that is a bit of a selection headache for Eustace.

We don't play 4-3-3

It's very sad to lose Szmodics, but to be honest it's hard to imagine how the new forwards coming in (Ohasi and Geye) could have started much better.  Ohashi in particular looks to have a lot of the same attributes as Szmodics, while Geye offers us something we have not had in a very long time.

Still a lot to be optimistic about. Particularly if the Szmodics money is spent on a goal keeper and more attacking options.

My revised team

Pears

Britain Carter Hyam Pickering 

Travis Tronstad 

Weimann  Dolan  Hedges 

Ohashi 

Subs:- Hilton Duru Batth Buckley JRC Sigurdsson Gueye Vale McFadzean 

17 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

My revised team

Pears

Britain Carter Hyam Pickering 

Travis Tronstad 

Weimann  Dolan  Hedges 

Ohashi 

Subs:- Hilton Duru Batth Buckley JRC Sigurdsson Gueye Vale McFadzean 

Think the front four is wrong here.

Weimann almost certainly doesn’t have a start in his legs yet, Hedges is ineffective from the left and Gueye is too big of a handful not to start.

I’d have Dolan on the left (ahead of Siggy) Ohashi behind Gueye and Hedges from the right. Responsibility for Brittain to get to the byline and Pickering to cross from deep for Gueye, with the three behind Gueye running off him for anything through the middle.

Lots of potential for this to go well, if we attack the opportunity.

• Like 1

You would think JEs team talk would be simple for this one.  Everyone says we are a 1 man team that man has gone do you want to prove everyone right or show your own worth

• Like 1

Pears

brittain     Hyam.    Carter.      Pickering

Tronstad.  Travis                  

JRC                 Dolan.              Weimann      

Gueye

id give that a crack and take Dolan off for YUKI later on or bring Weimann off and put Dolan or hedges out wide depending on how the game is panning out

Edited by Oldgregg86