BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Oxford Utd (h) - 24/08/2024

2 minutes ago, sverrehh said:

Forward passes were mostly non functional the first 60 minutes. Dolan is not a good passer of the ball. I hope we can snatch some players up !

Not the finest of games, but happy with 3points!

Dolan's decision making frustrates but he's still a young lad with time to sort that out.

• Like 1

Game of two halves from my view. 

Poor first half, where if they'd taken their chances earlier we could've been 2 nil down at half time.

1st half we lacked a bit of energy and struggled to break them down. Could be a sign of things to come this season if teams sit back and let us have the ball.

Game swung on the JRC equaliser, well timed, undeserved but stopped us chasing the game 2nd half.

2nd half I thought was better. More energy and attacking intent. A lot of players who were poor first half were much better in the 2nd such as Travis. Again the ability to change the game off the bench has helped us. Gueye is quite clumsy but a handful and siggy took his goal well. 

I felt we deserved it 2nd half, Oxford looked poor and didn't create much until that bit of pressure towards the end.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SpaceBarSlam said:

The bench is the real difference this season. Rather than vaguely hoping Markanday will come good and pop up with something, we've got actual players who can make an impact. 

Which is weird considering we all think we are weaker than last season (myself included). You're right though.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

To be fair pal, I've been watching football for 60 years so I'm well qualified to comment. He's my least favourite player at Ewood because he's a limited player with a heart the size of pea but as previously stated he scored the winner today so I'm thankful to him for that. 

I like that you said pal, fair plays to you.

Just now, AAK said:

Which is weird considering we all think we are weaker than last season (myself included). You're right though.

I think we have more depth and variety in our forwards, which is reflected in having attacking options off the bench, the rest of the pitch not so much...

• Like 4

Really chuffed with that win, we weren’t particularly good but we dug it out. Reminded me of the first 6 months under JDT when we used to eke out narrow home wins. 

Thought Tronstad, JRC and Yuki were the standout performers. The back 4 were collectively good and it’s noticeable how well drilled they are. We don’t give up many chances from open play.

Trav worked like a Trojan and I thought gave a really good Captain’s performance in a tough match. 

Great goal by Siggy, such a technically good footballer, probably the best in the team. It’s  just his work rate and lack of pace works against in. It was interesting how much JE cajoled him to close down. You can see where the issue is! 

Great noise from the BBE in the 2nd half!

Credit to Oxford, I thought they looked a good team. I think they will surprise a few this season. 

Really good subs from the manager again. Really impressed with Eustace, he’s doing a really good job overall.

Edited by Forever Blue
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, alexanders said:

Then it makes zero sense to start Ohashi instead of Gueye. Why not Ohashi instead of Dolan. Don’t get it 

Indeed. The number of free headers the Oxford defenders were winning was frustrating but that stopped when Gueye came on. I would have started him and brought Ohashi on.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Indeed. The number of free headers the Oxford defenders were winning was frustrating but that stopped when Gueye came on. I would have started him and brought Ohashi on.

If we don't bring reinforcements in quickly it's getting to the point where you have to start both of them. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, arbitro said:

I actually thought Gueye was a bit of a liability when he came on.

Ohashi was superb all game. I think he’ll make a great No10. 

Thought despite being lobbed Pears was ok.  Still want a replacement. 

Brittain looked a tad better if not faster.  Otherwise defence was fairly quiet.

Two steady Eddie's in midfield but our lack of depth and their penchant for yellows worries me.  I thought tronstad had a good block from Phillips early on.

I prefer Ohashi as an impact sub (so far).  First touch is wanting but he's a great terrier.  Dolan was nearly there today too, some times the final ball was there but mainly not.  JRC looked slightly improved but still clearly injured.

Subs wise Weimann and his experience is a very astute signing.  Gueye is chaos and a proper passion merchant. 

Crying out for a keeper, a yard of pace and a central midfield option 

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, SpaceBarSlam said:

The bench is the real difference this season. Rather than vaguely hoping Markanday will come good and pop up with something, we've got actual players who can make an impact. 

The biggest difference is NOT having Gally up top donkey touching the ball away, ducking out of aerial duels and misreading runs

• Like 2

The really pleasing aspect of today for me was that we actually came back from behind to win against difficult opponents. And the most pleasing aspect was winning. These are the type of games where historically we have dropped points so I'm delighted with that. And again great credit to Eustace for his use of substitutes as we now have five goals from players he has brought on. And the real beauty of this is that you don't need to be a Guardiola to see it. We have actually predicated every one of his changes so far this season and essentially they have been like for like. Nothing complicated and keeping pretty much the same shape and formation. It wasn't pretty at times and we looked ragged and weary in phases but the main objective was achieved and seven points from the first three games is a great return.

Clearly we have a few who aren't up to speed fitness wise and I would be giving them each an hour on Tuesday to build this up.

• Like 7

Old fella said to me on the way out, if we play like that next week we'll get hammered. 

We are blagging it a bit, but long may it continue. Bit of luck with the equaliser, longest 1 minute extra I've ever seen, but we'll take it, we definitely needed it. 

There are important points up for grabs with all teams getting up to speed, and all squads still to add players. The more we can hoover up before the end of September the better, it's a long season for a light squad. 

Fantastic finish for the winner. 

• Like 1