BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Oxford Utd (h) - 24/08/2024

There were justified question marks last season when Eustace failed to win a single home game despite some favourable fixtures. You have to be strong at home.

This season we have played 2 promoted sides that look really limited and will likely be right near the bottom. They are games you have to be winning as your bread and butter and we have got all 6 points which is a really solid foundation to build on so very pleasing.

Today was not a particularly good performance to be honest and our limitations were clear so it was just about getting over the line. We badly need some pace in the final third, we were quite stodgy and predictable. Dolan continues to underwhelm, Hedges was poor and although he took his goal well, I am still not convinced by JRC. 

I think we need 2 more attackers with at least one being a quick winger but first need to decide where Ohashi is best placed. I thought he struggled at times as a main striker, hes not the quickest, he struggled to hold it up and his lay offs are often loose. But when he played off Gueye a bit deeper, he came to life more and it allowed him to pick the ball up in clever areas and drive with the ball. If hes seen as playing off the front then we need competition for Gueye as he would be the only senior striker, if not then we could do with a second wide man. Gueye struggled when he came on, I suspect he will come up with performances like this as he is very unpolished, with a wild finish, poor first touches and occasionally causing us problems going back. But he showed what he can do in the first 2 games. Not convinced he will score that many but gives us a different dimension.

• Like 1

• Backroom

If Siggy gets a starting place off the back of this it'll go the same way as before. He'll manage a handful of decent contributions and spend the rest of the game as a passenger. Eventually we'll have no choice but to drop him again as we can't afford to play 80% of a match practically a man down. 

His natural talent is obvious, but to have that kind of talent and end up on the bench of a mid-table championship club says it all really. I'd love to see his attitude shift but at 25 he's running out of time to make that change to his game. 

Excellent impact sub, coming on against tired legs, but unless Eustace has seen something in training to indicate a commitment to higher work rate I'd be wary of starting him. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DE. said:

If Siggy gets a starting place off the back of this it'll go the same way as before. He'll manage a handful of decent contributions and spend the rest of the game as a passenger. Eventually we'll have no choice but to drop him again as we can't afford to play 80% of a match practically a man down. 

His natural talent is obvious, but to have that kind of talent and end up on the bench of a mid-table championship club says it all really. I'd love to see his attitude shift but at 25 he's running out of time to make that change to his game. 

Excellent impact sub, coming on against tired legs, but unless Eustace has seen something in training to indicate a commitment to higher work rate I'd be wary of starting him. 

I wouldn’t be starting Siggy next Saturday. That won’t be a game for faint hearts.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, M_B said:

Old fella said to me on the way out, if we play like that next week we'll get hammered. 

We are blagging it a bit, but long may it continue. Bit of luck with the equaliser, longest 1 minute extra I've ever seen, but we'll take it, we definitely needed it. 

There are important points up for grabs with all teams getting up to speed, and all squads still to add players. The more we can hoover up before the end of September the better, it's a long season for a light squad. 

Fantastic finish for the winner. 

They’d be a few dingles coming off at Sunderland saying “ If we play like that next week we’ll get hammered “.

• Like 2

I’m far from Pears biggest fan but I read the comments on their goal on here and had to watch the highlights to check I didn’t miss anything at the game. Only the most ardent of Wahlstedt backers, now with egg on their face, can blame him for that surely.

He was fine today. A solid 7. Still not good enough mind.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Forever Blue said:

Some strange criticism of JRC. He was really good today, caused Oxford lots of problems by coming centrally and linking play. He also offers a genuine goal threat. 

He’ll get better as he gets fitter. 

He played 45 minutes against Stanley on the 6th July and has then started and played over a hour of every friendly and league game. He’s also played in every game since April. How’s he not fit?

3 minutes ago, Hasta said:

I’m far from Pears biggest fan but I read the comments on here and had to watch the highlights to check I didn’t miss anything at the game. Only the most ardent of Wahlstedt backers, now with egg on their face, can blame him for that surely.

Didn’t do much wrong, except spilling one in the 6 yard box in the 2nd half and getting bailed out by Hyam. He then tried to claim it moved in the air!

He was well protected by a well-drilled defence. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hasta said:

He played 45 minutes against Stanley on the 6th July and has then started and played over a hour of every friendly and league game. He’s also played in every game since April. How’s he not fit?

Cos he’s been carrying an injury as stated by JE after the Derby game. Today was the sharpest he’s looked but still not 100%

54 minutes ago, Andy said:

Thing is with grinding out wins when you're not playing well - you start building momentum and confidence.

And both of those things take you a long way in competitive sport.

Next weekend will be very interesting and a good measure of where we actually are.

Or, you regress to the mean. 

Hopefully you’re right though. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hasta said:

I don't think he is injured if that has been implied. My concern is that he can't complete a full game and after 50 minutes he looks tired. I would start him on Tuesday to try and build up his fitness as I think he will be crucial next Saturday. His aggression and drive will be needed.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hasta said:

I’m far from Pears biggest fan but I read the comments on here and had to watch the highlights to check I didn’t miss anything at the game. Only the most ardent of Wahlstedt backers, now with egg on their face, can blame him for that surely.

The problem with Pears is that he has zero credit in the bank - he's very much in the red - so when he concedes a shot from 35 yards out you just shrug your shoulders and say "yeah maybe a better GK saves it, but it's not technically a mistake". 

Look a totally different team this season. Talk about impact subs eustace we believe great to see siggy nick the winner riverside went mental RTID Bring on Seasiders then dirty dingle Burnley scum 💩💩💩 RTID COME ON!!!!

Edited by Michael123458

23 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

They’d be a few dingles coming off at Sunderland saying “ If we play like that next week we’ll get hammered “.

I've had 3 messaging this week bemoaning the strength of their squad, I shit you not. Two of them from Sunderland today. 

That's after spending over 30 million this summer alone. They're definitely not confident. 

• Like 1

Just now, M_B said:

I've had 3 messaging this week bemoaning the strength of their squad, I shit you not. Two of them from Sunderland today. 

That's after spending over 30 million this summer alone. They're definitely not confident. 

They've sold a few of their better players this summer - but yeah, they need to just look ten miles down the road to see a light squad. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

The problem with Pears is that he has zero credit in the bank - he's very much in the red - so when he concedes a shot from 35 yards out you just shrug your shoulders and say "yeah maybe a better GK saves it, but it's not technically a mistake". 

I agree, but you didn’t say that. You said “Oh Ainsley Pears you're so shit. 

Thats probably because you couldn’t blame the ref for that goal that we conceded 😀, but it’s still nonsense. 

1 minute ago, Ricky said:

Just got back from a wedding to a message from my nephew:

image.jpeg.9485d8500aa4662c6d1b347d006e1878.jpeg

For context they played together at Cardiff when they were in the under 18s.

We were reported to be after Harris at the beginning of last season and very few were keen. However, he had a good season last year and looks to have started well this year and so would have been an upgrade of Tehalovic and Gallagher,