BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Oxford Utd (h) - 24/08/2024

Think this will be an extremely tough game, and Oxford will certainly create more than Derby did at Ewood, and they still managed 2 goals!

Tempted to say it'll be a draw or a home defeat. I just have a feeling about it, a little bit like when we lost at home to Luton in their first season after promotion from League One....Travis scored in a 2-1 defeat.

Also can't see there being any changes to the starting 11 providing there are no injuries or arrivals this week. I don't think Ohashi will start because the club need to be careful with him, and having a player like that to come on when you need a goal is something we have rarely had in recent years.

Question marks over JRC and Dolan based on their performances from Saturday, but I think they'll both get the nod. Just not sure about JRC on the right wing. Swapping him with Brittain might be a good idea.

17 hours ago, philipl said:

I watched bits of Oxford games against Norwich and Coventry. Norwich were woeful and Coventry wasteful.

Oxford move the ball quickly and skilfully in midfield but oten mix in route 1 long balls as well. They don't make many chances but are lethal when they do.

Coventry showed a high press and rapid incisive attacks can open Oxford at will. Defence is bodies on the line over organisation.

Irrespective of signings or not, we have enough to win this one but we won't if we don't move the ball sharply.

My son supports Oxford, (rovers his 2nd team) so I have seen them live a lot over last couple of years

Bright young well prepared manager, Cam Brannagan best player, defence strong but right back a weakness if Long plays there, press well up top led by Harris, pass the ball well and work hard

So wont be easy, however if they concede early away from home they can be vulnerable

Play same system as us, Vauks looked good v Norwich so they are a possession based team

Also good in the air at set pieces

We should be stronger but will need to take them seriously

• Like 3

There are no easy games in this league and Oxford will certainly be no exception. That aside and with all respect in the world... These are the games we desperately need to be winning this season. Our home form last season, especially against the sides around us at the bottom was absolutely awful and that needs to change this season. We've started in a much better manner, let's not ruin it. 

3 points are vital, anything less is a poor result. 

Edited by Neal
  • Like 1

Our home form nearly cost us our place in the league last season. Need to build from a strong home form and pick up some points away. We don’t want to be having to go to the top teams having to win (like we did last season).

Oxford will be decent, full of confidence and will come out of the blocks quickly trying to quieten the home fans. We have enough attacking options to cause them problems as well. Expect BTTs and the odd goal either way, hopefully our way. 

40 years ago this fixture might have been one to worry about, with Oxford United back then a swashbuckling, League Cup (Milk Cup) winning, first division terrorising outfit including the likes of John Aldridge (yes, he of Liverpool FC fame and fortune). These days they are slowly rebuilding under a relatively unknown manager, with few (if any) players whose pedigree would bring them to mind as household names. A bit like that outfit down the road at Ewood, in that respect I suppose..

This weekend's game won't be a pushover, and Oxford are in the division on merit, so Rovers will have to be up and at it from the outset. A difficult one to call, but I'm hoping home advantage and a decent bit of momentum will propel the blue and whites to an emphatic win.

Heart - Blue and White supremacy over the Yellows 2-0

Head - Scrappy and difficult to watch with goals at both ends and the usual howlers from the usual suspects - 2-2

Handbags on the Isis - Rovers hand out a kicking and send the U's with their mortarboards askew back to the spires. 4-0

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Old Codger said:

40 years ago this fixture might have been one to worry about, with Oxford United back then a swashbuckling, League Cup (Milk Cup) winning, first division terrorising outfit including the likes of John Aldridge (yes, he of Liverpool FC fame and fortune)

they had a right pair of dirty b****s at the back,briggs and shotton and that pitch at their manor ground had one massive slope on it,must have been worth 20 points a season to them

remember going there in the early 90`s and saw garners last goal for us,a beautiful move that saw us up the pitch in 4 passes with simon getting on the end of a cross to slide it in the net❤️

• Like 2

I wonder if Carter is injured as he limped off late at the weekend and doesnt seem to be on the training pictures, although I may be wrong.

There is no mention of any potential signings in defence. One injury for Carter leaves us with only 2 full backs and 3 centre backs, one of whom can play only in a back 3.

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

There is no mention of any potential signings in defence. One injury for Carter leaves us with only 2 full backs and 3 centre backs, one of whom can play only in a back 3.

I think the change in how Rovers set up defensively (Brittain playing as a wing back and Pickering staying back to essentially form the left centre back in a back 3) is purposefully being implemented so that your point that I have marked in bold is not an issue (or that is at least the hope/theory of Eustace).  And is also likely the reason that a full back (which I think means competition/understudy to Pickering's hybrid LB/LCB position rather than a more attacking LB) has been mentioned as a potential signing rather than center backs.

Was it Oxford that won the league when we got promoted in 79/80? 

They always remind me of Robert Maxwell, or was it his son that owned them?

Went there in our promotion season under Dalglish. Think Mike Newell scored and we won. Remember walking thru an estate near the Manor Ground after the game and getting abused off the locals! Seemed a rough old town away from the dreaming spires. 

They look a good team, unlucky at the weekend to lose at Coventry. Beat Norwich comfortably first game of the season. 

This might be trickier than people think. 

Rovers 1 Oxford 1

9 minutes ago, Forever Blue said:

Went there in our promotion season under Dalglish. Think Mike Newell scored and we won. Remember walking thru an estate near the Manor Ground after the game and getting abused off the locals! Seemed a rough old town away from the dreaming spires. 

They look a good team, unlucky at the weekend to lose at Coventry. Beat Norwich comfortably first game of the season. 

Rovers 1 Oxford 1

Grimsby were champions I think... 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Old Codger said:

40 years ago this fixture might have been one to worry about, with Oxford United back then a swashbuckling, League Cup (Milk Cup) winning, first division terrorising outfit including the likes of John Aldridge (yes, he of Liverpool FC fame and fortune). These days they are slowly rebuilding under a relatively unknown manager, with few (if any) players whose pedigree would bring them to mind as household names. A bit like that outfit down the road at Ewood, in that respect I suppose..

This weekend's game won't be a pushover, and Oxford are in the division on merit, so Rovers will have to be up and at it from the outset. A difficult one to call, but I'm hoping home advantage and a decent bit of momentum will propel the blue and whites to an emphatic win.

Heart - Blue and White supremacy over the Yellows 2-0

Head - Scrappy and difficult to watch with goals at both ends and the usual howlers from the usual suspects - 2-2

Handbags on the Isis - Rovers hand out a kicking and send the U's with their mortarboards askew back to the spires. 4-0

Those were the days when the fit and proper led to the likes of Robert Maxwell, owning the club, otherwise known as a consortium of would be pensioners, caught unawares. 

Its come a long way that fit and proper regime, as the likes of tax fiddling money launderers are now owning clubs.

1 hour ago, Forever Blue said:

Rovers 1 Oxford 1

Used to date a girl who studied at Brasnose College at Oxford Uni. The outskirts of the city, such as Cowley and Blackbird Lees were nasty places. It’s where they housed all the students. 

Quite a contrast to the centre of Oxford and a good few ale pubs to drink in.

Been there a few times with Rovers. I liked the Manor Ground.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I wonder if Carter is injured as he limped off late at the weekend and doesnt seem to be on the training pictures, although I may be wrong.

He's turning into a bit of a crock if he's injured again.