BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Oxford Utd (h) - 24/08/2024

8 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Not looked at the XG but I would imagine Oxford battered us on it... They missed some really presentable opportunities. 

When Gueye came on we got control. Hes so good, definitely on his way to the prem imo. Won everything in the air, laid the ball off well, and has pace and good feet to run the channels. Its a very very rare combination to have all of that at our level.

I think broadly we played pretty well except central midfield. Its a problem for us - without the ball we're too light in there, Travis and Tronstad (who had okay games individually but exposed in the system) get played through too easily.  With the ball we are so wasteful. We need someone in there with more quality on the ball. I really do think we should shift to a central three.

Great to have 7 points on the board and have scored so many goals but I wouldnt say we look convincing at the moment.

We wouldnt even need to pick different players, just drop JRC alongside Travis and Tronstad (think deeper will suit JRC anyway) and move Dolan on the right. JRC can still get forward, just have a deeper starting position to firm up the midfield....

I don't think Gueye will play in the Prem unless he wins promotion for us or another Championship side. Would fit great in Luton, but hope they don't establish themselves as a top contender. Real impact player though, and a lot of charisma, so he'll be a fan favourite at Ewood.

Regarding your assessment of our central midfield, I think that's also down to us pushing higher up, especially at home. That leaves gaps in the back, but Travis and Tronstad are both a bit too slow to cover enough ground quickly when we're in trouble. Tronstad with a little bit more pace off the mark would be in the Premier League imho.

An excellent victory for us yesterday. Really happy with the start to the season and JE must take alot of credit. Especially with the substitutions so far season, an unprecedented number of goals and assists already this year.

As far as I'm concerned, we're aiming for 52 points. 7 up with 45 to go required from 43 games.

If only these disgraceful clowns would bloody back him ffs. 

• Like 2

Credit to JE yesterday and in general so far this term, he's got us winning points we wouldn't have done last year.. as much as I loved JDT.

I also think he'll get us fired up for the game against the inbreds more than any manager we've had under the shower of shite 

Still think we'll be lower mid table at the end of the season but it's nice to have a positive start, especially whilst the wretches in the boardroom and above continue to be cunts  

• Like 2

very happy to win that game and get the 3 points. 

It was exactly what I thought it would be against Oxford a difficult game and first half it turned out to be so with them missing one great chance and scoring a wonder goal from 35 yards out. I won't blame Pears for that one but the need for a new keeper signing is a Must. 

Rovers did create a couple of chances first half but I thought we deffo lacked a focus point/target man up front presence. Surprised Gueye didn't come on at half time, But straight from kick off second half Gueye was warming up and 5 minutes later he brought in on and it make a different to us. Ohashi dropped into the 10 role and Dolan wide left. We looked a better team with Gueye up front. 

Gueye wanted Rovers players to keep crossing the ball into the box for him at every opportunity. He told Brittain get the ball in. Confident in his ability. 

Sigurdsson goal was very good and delighted to get the win. 

Eustace was positive in his changes and keep trying to win the game. All 3 subs made an impact and we finally have options off the bench that we didn't last season under Eustace 

delighted win 

• Like 5

That was a good win we are actually a football team who can now come from behind instead of almost accepting defeat when we go behind.

Good character, effort and management in the second half and credit to Oxford who came to have a go and not let us settle in the first half.  The stronger team, squad overcame their effort and won in the end which is the way it should be but won't always be.

We've started the season way better than expected despite the usual ownership nonsense and selling half a team in the last 12 months.

Keep the faith whatever happens next weekend !

• Like 2

• Backroom
6 hours ago, Gordon Gekko said:

Siggy’s natural taken won us the game today, no one else was scoring that cracker. He was decent against (Stockport I know) but there’s a class player there. Let’s get behind him not slate him FFS, theres definitely fruits to bear with the Iceman.

I'll give my opinion on him as I see fit, thanks. I know what I've seen from him so far. Natural talent, but a lack of work rate. If he gets his chance and improves the latter then great, we'll have a serious player on our hands. 

• Like 1

Again, nobody has not been behind him in the ground. Needless and inaccurate comment.

He has been criticised on here a lot because he ultimately has underwhelmed as a signing so far and also his work ethic and lack of bravery can irk people. Good finish yesterday though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cherry Blue said:

Brittain was getting peed off with the two man two hands in air corners.  He was knackered but they were running off the bench insisting in must happen. 

If you notice the tactic of having 2 men at the corner meant that 2 defenders were drawn out of the box leaving less men defending the corner. Not sure if that gives us an advantage but clearly a planned tactic. 

Been a lot of talk about Siggy and his work rate but when he came on yesterday I thought he worked really hard for the team, scored a lovely goal and ultimately he (with a bit of help from Big Mak) turned what would've been a frustrating draw into a hard fought win. He just needs to do that on a consistent basis. There is an opportunity for someone in this squad to become the new star man, if he knuckles down on a consistent basis then it could easily be him.

Yesterday was not easy on the eye really, but I honestly couldn't care less because we won the game. Ohashi had a another good game, felt like the crowd where desperate to see him score again which would've been brilliant, but not to be.

I appreciate Dolan does a lot of work off the ball, but his decision making on it needs work. Several times yesterday he picked the ball up in a position where if he just played the simple ball we'd be further up the pitch, but instead we get to see a couple of little tricky steps and it slows us right down. Just play the obvious pass man!

Although he did make an impact when he came on, I thought Gueye looked quite clumsy and sluggish, not as alert as he perhaps was against Norwich and Derby. I imagine he'll start on Tuesday though and Ohashi will get a rest.

Edited by sharpysharps86
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, sharpysharps86 said:

Been a lot of talk about Siggy and his work rate but when he came on yesterday I thought he worked really hard for the team, scored a lovely goal and ultimately he (with a bit of help from Big Mak) turned what would've been a frustrating draw into a hard fought win. He just needs to do that on a consistent basis. There is an opportunity for someone in this squad to become the new star man, if he knuckles down on a consistent basis then it could easily be him.

Yesterday was not easy on the eye really, but I honestly couldn't care less because we won the game. Ohashi had a another good game, felt like the crowd where desperate to see him score again which would've been brilliant, but not to be.

I appreciate Dolan does a lot of work off the ball, but his decision making on it needs work. Several times yesterday he picked the ball up in a position where if he just played the simple ball we'd be further up the pitch, but instead we get to see a couple of little tricky steps and it slows us right down. Just play the obvious pass man!

Although he did make an impact when he came on, I thought Gueye looked quite clumsy and sluggish, not as alert as he perhaps was against Norwich and Derby. I imagine he'll start on Tuesday though and Ohashi will get a rest.

That’s the issue with Dolan for me , he very rarely does the simple things. He always wants that touch too many.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Cherry Blue said:

Brittain was getting peed off with the two man two hands in air corners.  He was knackered but they were running off the bench insisting in must happen. 

It does bring two defenders out of the box, And the opposition doesn't know if it is going to be an in-swinger or an out-swinger. If Pep had tried it, it would have been accepted as a great idea.

Edited by rigger

1 hour ago, Gaz85 said:

Just some immediate observations…

• 6 points against promoted teams; last season we managed 1….

• coming from behind in games and gaining points….

scoring goals post 80th minute….

• substitutions positively impacting games….

• manager making changes early….

Not a brilliant performance yesterday (2nd half much better) but positive signs that the season may not be as bleak as the previous…

COYB!

Last season we scored 7 goals in the final 15 minutes, this year we’re on 4 already.

• Like 4

I've just realised the Sigurdsson goal was almost a carbon copy of the Hedges goal at Norwich - ball played in to Sigurdsson / Hedges in the middle of the field on the break, they lay it off to Gueye who carries it upfield and then puts them through for the goal.

15 hours ago, AspRover said:

I have said it before but I think Gueyes main goal contributions will be that suddenly the three players behind him start picking up goals, rather than him scoring a ton himself. This is by no means a criticism.

Yeah, agreed.... But those writing off his finishing, thats something that can be worked on and improves hugely with confidence.

We've seen incredible improvements in the scoring feats of the likes of Szmodic and Brereton in the past, and Gueyes has the capability to repeat it imo.

What I like is his movement is very clever too. Often a big dominant player like him will just wait for the long ball, but he has a nice way of drifting and dropping off and finding space.

• Like 2

Also Re Sigurdsson, I do wonder whether part of the issue last year was that he knew he wasn't going to get ahead of Sammie in the pecking order for the no.10 slot - that being up for grabs may just give him a bit more motivation.

5 hours ago, rigger said:

It does bring two defenders out of the box, And the opposition doesn't know if it is going to be an in-swinger or an out-swinger. If Pep had tried it, it would have been accepted as a great idea.

Maybe we should have 3 taking the corner?