BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Oxford Utd (h) - 24/08/2024

5 minutes ago, Uddersfelt Blue said:

Maybe we should have 3 taking the corner?

5 or 6, who cares. We suddenly look dangerous from them and with the man mountain in the box, we scare the opposition to death.

Big Mak fries the opposition, as he chips in with a double.

Headline for next week please, as he becomes my favorite signing, for a while.

I will make a meal of it for a while if he does. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Neal said:

My thoughts...

Was a tough watch. Sloppy in possession but credit to Oxford, they looked dangerous on the counter attack. Harris up front is a proper player and has scored the best goal I've seen here for some time, I actually stood up and clapped him. Unreal goal. 

On to us... I don't trust our defence, particularly Hyam, there's just something very wooden about him and always get the feeling him and Pears are a disaster waiting to happen. Carter was just ok but played some unreal cross field passes. Full backs were solid, I thought both had decent games and coped well. 

I thought Trav did an ok job. He was frustrating and sloppy at times but seems like necessary player we need in there. 

I thought Trosntad was brilliant again today, what a player. Great block in first half, great engine, so tidy, so industrious, I thought he deserved man of the match personally. 

JRC is not fit. I watched him 15 mins into the game inside their box and he had his hands on his knees absolutely shattered. He walked through most of the first half and did not make runs to track players. Fair play for the goal but there's something not right. 

Ohashi is a proper grafter, he closes down really well and was unlucky not to get another goal. A proper honest player that will give you 100% every week. 

As frustrating as Dolan is, he absolutely worked his balls of to be fair and did a lot of hard work off the ball which he doesn't get credit for. It will be quite interesting to see what happens if he loses his place for Siggy because they seem like opposites. Siggy doesn't have the graft but has end product. Class finish and it may well have played his way into the side. 

Gueye is really effective in the air but I think the rest of the team needs to work out how to use him more effectively. Sometimes they just need to fire it into his feet for him to look after and just trust in his size. He's very unorthodox but just so awkward to play against and a proper team player. I love his passion to win, he demands the ball from the players and doesn't go hiding even if things don't come off. His relationship with the fans is great aswell, gets everyone fired up and connects the fans and players together well. Big soft spot for Big Mac. 

Big shout out to Andy Weimann. He's a proper player on the quiet. His passing and decision making is always right and has been a really effective sub for us these 3 opening games and has had key hand in quite a few of our goals, including today. Tidy signing for us. 

Finally, shout out to John Eustace. 2 home wins in 2. Granted, against newly promoted sides which is perhaps a bit of a blessing for him but we can only beat what's in front of us. There's a difference in style of play, he's put together a real bunch grafters. A rare win from a losing position is something many managers of ours haven't managed to do in the championship. I still haven't heard his name sung by the fans at Ewood and whilst I understand the caution I think he deserves a bit more support from us given the start we've had. His subs have been perfect so far and his decision making has won us games/points. Fair play to the boss. 

6/10 performance 

10/10 effort/result

COYB!

Dolan was a tad more frustrating than usual.  If his game ever come together he'll be a player.  He is close.

Big Mac is a player, seems sometimes like he thinks faster than some in our team.  Saw some frustration from him when his runs were not seen I think he gonna be a beast.  Inwas wrong in my rhiught that Yuki start and Mac come on.  We looked better starting Mac. Now, next week?

8 minutes ago, USABlue said:

Dolan was a tad more frustrating than usual.  If his game ever come together he'll be a player.  He is close.

Big Mac is a player, seems sometimes like he thinks faster than some in our team.  Saw some frustration from him when his runs were not seen I think he gonna be a beast.  Inwas wrong in my rhiught that Yuki start and Mac come on.  We looked better starting Mac. Now, next week?

We look much better with Gueye on the pitch, but he doesn't currently seem to be able to last much more than 45 mins. 

I am sure that he build this up in time, but until then, Eustace has to make a choice as to if we are better starting or finishing a game with Gueye in the side

58 minutes ago, USABlue said:

The frustrating part of Tyrys Dolans game, is he dithers and tries to go round to many players, when he should be getting more shots on target. He would be a far better player.

19 hours ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Being critical, I thought Yuki was quite wasteful today but so was everyone else… Gueye made a massive difference and for me changed the game. 

I thought Oxford were decent opposition, we can forgive Yuki for an off day.

I love Ohashi. He has a footballing brain. When we were under the cosh right at the end he is the only one to decide to hoof the ball upfield towards their corner flag. What common sense.

I've much more confidence in John Eustace's Rovers than at any time under Venkys. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Waggy76 said:

I take it all back Mr Sigurdsson!!! 

Brilliantly taken goal today 😁😁

I don't think we've seen the best of Siggy, he got some stick last season when he was getting over an injury. Like you said fantastic finish had the Blackburn end buzzing.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, rigger said:

If it would give us some form of advantage then maybe, but I can't seee how three would ?

Rigger, have you ever heard the word "humour"? 🙂

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tomphil said:

That was a good win we are actually a football team who can now come from behind instead of almost accepting defeat when we go behind.

Good character, effort and management in the second half and credit to Oxford who came to have a go and not let us settle in the first half.  The stronger team, squad overcame their effort and won in the end which is the way it should be but won't always be.

We've started the season way better than expected despite the usual ownership nonsense and selling half a team in the last 12 months.

Keep the faith whatever happens next weekend !

Having some actual men in the squad has had a huge impact on this I think.

Last season when JDT and the Egg tried to get these kind of players in they were blocked by the board.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Upside Down said:

Having some actual men in the squad has had a huge impact on this I think.

Last season when JDT and the Egg tried to get these kind of players in they were blocked by the board.

There's also a startling difference between the million or so that has been spent now compared to the similar investment by the Egg in Leo, Telalovic and Ennis 😮

Someone at Ewood now actually knows what they are doing they just need the loons to be on board for once.

48 minutes ago, tomphil said:

There's also a startling difference between the million or so that has been spent now compared to the similar investment by the Egg in Leo, Telalovic and Ennis 😮

Someone at Ewood now actually knows what they are doing they just need the loons to be on board for once.

Turns out Head of Recruitment is actually quite an important role at a football club.

• Like 1

I know it wasn't perfect on Saturday, but it dawned on me how long it had been since experiencing these once "normal" things:

• Going a goal behind and feeling like we could get back into this
  • Actually standing up and cheering multiple subs on
  • A sub coming on with experience, leaving me reassured "he'll know what to do with it" (Weimann)
  • A winner, for us, in the last 10 minutes of a match, at Ewood
  • Players looking like they might actually enjoy their jobs (Gueye & Yuki)
  • A playing demanding a cross
  • A headed flick on from a free kick or corner

Madness.

Though I admit our crossing was absolute shite, and good to see Big Mak haranguing Brittain after barely being on 2 minutes. 

My main concern was Dolan, I'm a fan of his, but having to cut in onto his right when he's got their fullback on toast kept holding up our attacks allowing their well drilled defense to get back - I would love to see him get to the by line and stand it up for Gueye. 

A lot of credit to Oxford, they got forward well and overan us in midfield, Tronstadt had a great game in terms of workrate, he's a real unsung hero but at times him and Travis were left marooned - it's been the one constant ever since AW left, we seem to get dominated in there. 

Edited by Groundhog
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, RoversTilliDie said:

I am teetotal, i explained to another comment, i am not brilliant at maths a rough guess.

Yes it was very rough so for future reference half the bottom holds about 2500 so if that's about half full future guesses should be based around that.

How anyone not on the WUM could look at c1200 and estimate 3 or 4 thousand is stuff of Burnley logic.

7 hours ago, tomphil said:

Yes it was very rough so for future reference half the bottom holds about 2500 so if that's about half full future guesses should be based around that.

How anyone not on the WUM could look at c1200 and estimate 3 or 4 thousand is stuff of Burnley logic.

Or tomphil logic.

2 hours ago, RoversTilliDie said:

Or tomphil logic.

Well no long term attenders often get a grasp of rough estimates of away followings in fact i think it's ingrained deep into most Rovers fans considering the crowd stick we've always got.

Never over estimate a visiting support at Ewood is the golden rule, Burnley do that for us.

On 25/08/2024 at 19:03, bazza said:

I love Ohashi. He has a footballing brain. When we were under the cosh right at the end he is the only one to decide to hoof the ball upfield towards their corner flag. What common sense.

I think he was going for a shot because there keeper was up field!

• Like 1