BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Burnley (a) - 31/08/2024

17 minutes ago, Erased Citizen said:

It's incredibly thick from Gueye to get sent off like that but even so it's a really stupid rule.

Referees must be questioned every time they make a decision but as soon as you make a gesture it's a yellow card?

I understand in the extreme examples of multiple players crowding the ref or for repeat offenders but it really makes no sense for an individual player

It doesn't make sense for a professional footballer to get sent off for waving an imaginary card, which is a bookable offence.

Great performance and result,. onwards and upwards.

I thought we were superb second half. We would have won that game with 11 men and we almost did with 10 men. We look like a very well drilled team, and with the little bit of magic that Cantwell and Duberry can provide, we can be a very good team indeed.

Beck was brilliant. What a debut that was. Gueye was really good before he got sent off. Stupid red to get though. 

I thought Eustace was bang average last season but he's now looking like the manager I thought he would be. 

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Need a proper CB.

Not to somehow shoehorn Pickering into the side merely for the sake of it.

I agree, but now that the window is shut we have to make the squad work until at least Jan, if there isn't a decent freebee floating around it could be an option.

7 minutes ago, DanielMB said:

As bad as the ref was on another day we would have had a penalty against us towards the end.

You might be right, but it would have been another terrible decision as the wide angle shows the ball wasn't in play when Carter had hold of his shirt

• Like 1

If i have ever seen a biased ref ...that is one ...

Beck ...someone said he looked like a schoolboy... he schooled Koleosho at times ...

overall the standout is JE , how he sets the team up and fought for them in the touchline ..gives the guys the feeling someone got thier back and fight for the shirt ... we should have won it ...

We played like the PL relegated team in ewood not relegation scrap CH team in TURF MOOR

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Erased Citizen said:

I think to an extent referees should be given some leniency for mistakes because yeah refereeing can be hard. But that doesn't mean they are exempt from criticism when they have as poor a game as today's ref did.

He was abysmal 

But since the rule is pretty cut and dry, do the gesture = yellow card, Gueye loses a bit of sympathy for me. Even if the rule is a silly one

If the job’s too hard for them, maybe they shouldn’t be doing it. I think the profile of individual in officiating is so mismatched to the task. Pencil pusher drips. There should be outreach for more former professionals to be doing it or for a much better profile to be developed.

Today, the ref was the same one who bottled giving Bournemouth a penalty against United last season. Just a weak character. The opposite of what you need in a high-stakes game like today was.

3 minutes ago, Reginald said:

You might be right, but it would have been another terrible decision as the wide angle shows the ball wasn't in play when Carter had hold of his shirt

I was actually thinking about a situation at the side where a Burnley player ran through 2 Rovers players and tripped over a leg. Not a pen but seen them given.

• Backroom
3 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

There is no way you bench Beck now, which is a shame for pickering as he’s done okay

Honestly I'm fine with that. For too long players in our team have been able to coast on just being "okay". A little competition for places is a good thing and might even give Pickering incentive to improve. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, M_B said:

Cracking team performance like that and some still single players out for criticism, it's beyond belief honestly. 

Not really. I agree with @Exiled_Rover. In isolation Dolan worked hard, but overall he's not good enough. He had glorious opportunities today to set up teammates and he fluffed his lines each time. Pears did OK today yet I'd wager that 99.99% of this board wants him on the bench for the next game. 

As to the game I echo what most have said; a point away playing 30 minutes with 10 men is a good result. However, Rovers should have won it. Burnley came out flying and it was no surprise when they went ahead. After Weimann equalised Rovers were the better team. 

The ref had a stinker. There were so many baffling decisions outside of the "offside". Why did he give a free kick in minute 99 for a shirt pull before the ball was kicked? A barmy decision. Then as soon as Brownhill's effort cleared the cross bar he blew up for full time.

On that performance Burnley fans shouldn't expect a quick return to the Prem. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, DanielMB said:

I was actually thinking about a situation at the side where a Burnley player ran through 2 Rovers players and tripped over a leg. Not a pen but seen them given.

Ah, fair enough. I think it was just outside the area, so the point stands 😃

4 minutes ago, Reginald said:

Ah, fair enough. I think it was just outside the area, so the point stands 😃

Yeah it was definitely maybe outside 🙂 Anyway, I guess my point was that the ref could have shafted us even more if he wanted.

Edited by DanielMB

Dolan has great energy and pops up with some nice link up play now and again but my god he’s poor in the final third.

Poor decision maker and very slow…His energy must be what keeps him as target by clubs because I’m not sure why any other team would want him.

37 minutes ago, superniko said:

We played with a lot more fight fair enough. But it’s a bit of nonsense this. It was like a 0.01 xG wonder goal that earnt us that point in the actual scoreline. 

But agree on the general point that it was great to see us put that full fight into it - which we certainly didn’t 2 years ago. 

I get your point but we actually had 2-3 great chances plus a fair goal which was ruled out. 

We go to 1-1 first game of season and go on to win. 
we go 2-1 to Norwich and get back to a draw. 
we go 1-0 to Oxford and turn it into a 2-1 win. 
we go 1 down here at Burnley and walk away with a fantastic point. 

Sorry but already we’ve shown more courage under Eustace than we did in these situations in the entirety of JDT reign 

• Like 9

20 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Could do with an extra striker far more than another CB imo but in an ideal world need both.

Wonder if there's any decent free agents floating about?

Yeah, we need another Big Mac.  We do look more dangerous with him on and he was not beaten in the air much at all unless he was fouled.  The replay of the foul on him by the dingle made it look intentional to me.  He was not even trying for the ball went for the man.  Red card for me that one.

• Like 2