BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Burnley (a) - 31/08/2024

6 minutes ago, DE. said:

Honestly I'm fine with that. For too long players in our team have been able to coast on just being "okay". A little competition for places is a good thing and might even give Pickering incentive to improve. 

Badly needed cover and competition at left back, Pickering has had to play every minute. 

1 minute ago, USABlue said:

Yeah, we need another Big Mac.  We do look more dangerous with him on and he was not beaten in the air much at all unless he was fouled.  The replay of the foul on him by the dingle made it look intentional to me.  He was not even trying for the ball went for the man.  Red card for me that one.

He did just kick him, apparently has previous at united according the commies.

• Backroom
4 minutes ago, M_B said:

Badly needed cover and competition at left back, Pickering has had to play every minute. 

We really need the same for Brittain as well. Maybe in January. 

• Like 1

Just now, Forever Blue said:

I thought Beck, Carter and Travis were outstanding today. 

As well as the Warnock vibes, Beck’s debut reminded me a bit of the debut of that young scouse lad ( McEvely) who booted Beckham round Ewood about 20 years ago. 

I was thinking exactly that myself.

• Like 1

Beck looked like a player who's been given a chance and was determined to keep the shirt. He looks a real terrier of a player, always snapping at the heels of opponents. He looks a good addition to the squad but I don't see him replacing Harry as first-choice left back yet

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, alexanders said:

It has been said, but what a performance from our captain. Shithousery, running his socks off, tackling ! Just imagine if Dolan could have given him a pass and Trav won us the game 

Should have got that late shot at least on target though

The best thing about today is that it feels like this was the start of normal service returning and us becoming the better team out of the two again. Burnley have one shot at promotion and then they're back in the lower trenches of the championship again for a long time. 

They are still one of the better teams in the league this year which says a lot as I don't think they're even that good. A very weak league.

• Like 5

Fantastic battling point with 10 men against the odds to continue a very strong start to the season.

I am more angry with Gueye than I am with the ref/officials who admittedly were terrible. The disallowed goal perhaps further shows the need for VAR in the Championship.

But Gueye is an absolute idiot. No excuses about not being aware of the rules, he repeatedly gestured for a yellow card and forced the referees hand. He let him team mates down who thankfully did brilliantly to get him out of the shit.

Beck started all over the place for 15-20- minutes then grew into the game and was excellent after that. Weimann isnt the player he once was but still a very intelligent player and a shrewd pickup with the same intelligence and quality. Its a shame Dolan doesnt share it because he should have squared it for a tap in.

Many other strong performances notably the midfield 2 and the centre backs after like Beck a shaky start.

Hopefully we can get some more quality into the attack with Cantwell and Cozier Duberry in 2 weeks and with Toth in net and that can push us on.

On the way back now. What really stands out is the togetherness and the willingness to fight and run for the cause. 

Some really massive performances and shifts in there today. Hard to pick a man of the match I'd go for Travis who ran himself silly today when we really needed it. 

Hedges worked hard defensively, ohashi worked his socks off, brittain was committed, dolan I'd wager covered more ground than anyone. Hyam was very solid 2nd half.

Weimann shot himself into folklore. Gueye is really useful when he's not interacting with the ref.

Beck though has really done himself proud today though and has put in a strong case gor himself. That's not an easy game to come into when you've not played at this level before. First 20 mins I thought we'd made a mistake starting him but he really got stuck in and adapted to the pace really well. Like the look of him, might be more than a squad filler.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, USABlue said:

Also I thought Anthony was offside from the fancy flick on before he crossed it.  Could be wrong but looked it and I probably am since no one else seems to be mentioning it

Nah, he was onside.

BTW for some reason as I could only follow the last 5 minutes on bet365 in the 99th minute it flashed Burnley a goal and 2-1 up? Did they have a disallowed goal themselves? I saw it and slammed my phone down and started ranting while I went for a shite 😂

• Like 2

Somewhat against the consensus I’m going to say Mak’s sending off was ultimately a good thing. You can’t buy or coach the togetherness forged in that last 40 minutes. This is now Eustace’s team for both players and fans. Anyone in the squad still pining for JDT won’t be here long: I expect Dolan to be sold in Jan and JRC needs to think long and hard about how he regains Eustace’s confidence or he’s out too. Also, could that 40 mins be the remaking of Hyam? He was as immense then as he was shit before.

Also, the world’s best derby is back in business: the gulf is gone, the shared six win streak remains, and we’ll regain top dog status at Ewood.

• Like 8