BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Burnley (a) - 31/08/2024

I wasn't able to get a ticket for today, so had to watch from home.

Hopefully it was policed well and the nobheads kept apart from the proper fans who turned up.

If you feel the need to punch another person in the head, because they support a different team to you, you shouldn't really be walking the streets unsupervised.

• Like 4

Just now, Andy said:

Hopefully it was policed well and the nobheads kept apart from the proper fans who turned up.

If you feel the need to punch another person in the head, because they support a different team to you, you shouldn't really be walking the streets unsupervised.

There was more trouble in darwen than at turf Moor.

• Backroom
2 minutes ago, Andy said:

It’d be domestic abuse if I did that!

• Like 1

International break now, which is good timing for us.

Hopefully Brittain, Pickering and Batth can get back to fitness and Cantwell, Toth and Duberry can have a couple of weeks getting up to speed.

Puts us in a great position for the visit of Bristol in the next game.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Cherry Blue said:

11 yellow cards issued by a ref out of his depth. Not seen the disallowed goal again yet but believe two players were playing Dolan on-side and the referree's assistant was not level with play. 

The ref Tony Harrington is a Premier League ref 

1 hour ago, TommyRovers said:

Eustace rightfully calling out the referee 

Worst ref I’ve seen in a good while. Not just the offside - so many weird/biased calls. He certainly didn’t need to give the yellow to Gueye, and how did he at least not give a yellow to the Burnley player there as well? Seemed to just wait for an excuse to book or give free kicks against us. Shocking.

Edited by OllieNO
  • Like 7

When Mak was sent off, Eustace was scribbling away in a notepad shaking his head, containing his anger, coming up with a plan. Very professional I thought with everything stacked against him. Many managers would have imploded.

• Like 6

Fuming at the ref like the rest of us. Glad we continued to show steel and spine, and all credit to Eustace on instilling that in the team. If we were offered a P4 W2 D2 start at the start of August, we would have all taken it I think. With some better luck, it could even have been W3 or 4. The margins in this league are so fine that ek-ing out points like this (and at Norwich) could make the world of difference at the end of the season.

Other observations: Like many others have said, shades of Warnock in Beck. Pears continues to be uninspiring - poor kick in the first half that went straight to their player, and caught in no-mans land when he came for a cross that resulted in a header at an open goal which went wide. The defence also seems to have been instructed (or they just don't have the confidence) not to pass it back to Pears - the first backpass i noticed was after 80+ minutes. Hope Toth proves to be the real deal.  With Eustaces' line up today and who he left on the bench, i have some hope that he will drop Pears if Toth shows himself to be better in training, and not need to wait for Pears to get injured or drop another clanger.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, OllieNO said:

Worst ref I’ve seen in a good while. Not just the offside - so many weird/biased calls. He certainly didn’t need to give the yellow to Gueye, and how did he at least not give a yellow to the Burnley player there as well? Seemed to just wait for an excuse to book or give free kicks against us. Shocking.

I thought he did book the Burnley player but it was an afterthought. The delay in doing it caused frustration and Gueye to do what he did. I'm not excusing Gueye but the referee caused it with what was an awful piece of refereeing. At times the game looked too big for him.

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I thought he did book the Burnley player but it was an afterthought. The delay in doing it caused frustration and Gueye to do what he did. I'm not excusing Gueye but the referee caused it with what was an awful piece of refereeing. At times the game looked too big for him.

None of the stats I’ve looked at have the Burnley player being booked.

7 minutes ago, arbitro said:

He didn’t book Esteve for throwing Gueye on the floor.  In fact, Esteve managed not to get booked at all when he could have got three yellows on another day.

• Like 5

Eight pts from 12 to start the season;

Transfers & loans appear to be solid;

Eustace seems to have a plan in mind, in lieu of a project. He also seems to have the coaching acumen needed. 

We sit in 3rd at the break. I’m not saying that’s where we end up, but we are off to a good start. I’m encouraged. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

None of the stats I’ve looked at have the Burnley player being booked.

I said I thought he did but if he didn't that is another awful decision from Harrinton.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, New Jeru said:

He didn’t book Esteve for throwing Gueye on the floor.  In fact, Esteve managed not to get booked at all when he could have got three yellows on another day.

From afar I thought he showed the Dingle a yellow card but the fact he didn't just sums him up. He was awful.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WacoRover said:

Eight pts from 12 to start the season;

Transfers & loans appear to be solid;

Eustace seems to have a plan in mind, in lieu of a project. He also seems to have the coaching acumen needed. 

We sit in 3rd at the break. I’m not saying that’s where we end up, but we are off to a good start. I’m encouraged. 

I was one who was quite openly critical of JE, based on our performances under him last season.

But the way we've started the season, he's certainly gone up in my estimation.

And long may it continue.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, sympatheticclaret said:

Claret in peace as ever ...

Firstly, outstanding team display from your lads especially after the sending off, light years away from two years ago. Beck the left back had a brilliant game ! The goal was a " worldie ", if that was in the EPL, it'd be being beamed around the world for the next 48 hours. Unlucky with the disallowed goal, I thought .. 11 yellows, 4 for us and 6 + the 2nd Yellow for you, not Mr Harrington's finest hour with the whistle, I agree ..

We played some reasonable stuff, but far too many instances of us looking exactly what we were, a collection of good players, who've never played together before. Hopefully things will improve, in the 20 minutes he was on, Egan-Riley played more like Egon Ronay ... We were also lucky with Trafford's early howler ... 

Honour is satisfied, I suppose ... onwards to January !!

A fair assessment.

• Like 1