BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Burnley (a) - 31/08/2024

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Fantastic battling point with 10 men against the odds to continue a very strong start to the season.

I am more angry with Gueye than I am with the ref/officials who admittedly were terrible. The disallowed goal perhaps further shows the need for VAR in the Championship.

But Gueye is an absolute idiot. No excuses about not being aware of the rules, he repeatedly gestured for a yellow card and forced the referees hand. He let him team mates down who thankfully did brilliantly to get him out of the shit.

Beck started all over the place for 15-20- minutes then grew into the game and was excellent after that. Weimann isnt the player he once was but still a very intelligent player and a shrewd pickup with the same intelligence and quality. Its a shame Dolan doesnt share it because he should have squared it for a tap in.

Many other strong performances notably the midfield 2 and the centre backs after like Beck a shaky start.

Hopefully we can get some more quality into the attack with Cantwell and Cozier Duberry in 2 weeks and with Toth in net and that can push us on.

VAR would have said no offside then disallowed it for a foul 😆

16 minutes ago, New Jeru said:

He didn’t book Esteve for throwing Gueye on the floor.  In fact, Esteve managed not to get booked at all when he could have got three yellows on another day.

Esteve sounds like those robotic waiters you sometimes get in Bella Italia.

4 minutes ago, Andy said:

I was one who was quite openly critical of JE, based on our performances under him last season.

But the way we've started the season, he's certainly gone up in my estimation.

And long may it continue.

He seems to have installed a bit of structure and even a bit of fight in the team. We don't fold after going behind so much.

• Like 2

I'm sorry I can't find the post to quote but someone said that although Gueye should know the rules, it's ok for the opposition to crowd the ref and verbally express they'd like a booking, and for someone else to do it with a hand gesture - frustrating, especially as the first wasn't anywhere near a yellow.

And also I read another post re Beck that I agree with - after a soft 10 minutes for the whole side, a Burnley player gave a little shove to Beck into the advertising hoardings, it seemed to trigger something and after that he started fighting, he rose to it. Well played Owen 👏

• Like 7

1 hour ago, matt83 said:

Also as a side note in Clitheroe I genuinely didn’t see one Burnley shirt in town from the late 80s to 2010 ish. Now the cockroaches have definitely scurried their way into the light. It’s the new builds I’m sure but defo lowers the tone. 

I worked in Clitheroe from 1993 until 1996. Never saw a Burnley shirt, it was all Rovers. My lad played junior football for a Darwen team who played in the Burnley league (long story, team kept getting banned, left Bburn, left Hyndburn, ended up in hill billy country), they used to play Clitheroe Wolves who wore a Rovers kit. All their dads wore Rovers stuff in winter. Proper Rovers area. Venky’s have scuppered that somewhat.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Groundhog said:

I'm sorry I can't find the post to quote but someone said that although Gueye should know the rules, it's ok for the opposition to crowd the ref and verbally express they'd like a booking, and for someone else to do it with a hand gesture - frustrating, especially as the first wasn't anywhere near a yellow.

And also I read another post re Beck that I agree with - after a soft 10 minutes for the whole side, a Burnley player gave a little shove to Beck into the advertising hoardings, it seemed to trigger something and after that he started fighting, he rose to it. Well played Owen 👏

They targeted Beck at the start of the game. Clearly under orders from Parker that he was going to struggle, bully the kid but thankfully the lad held his own.

Parker is such an unlikeable guy, he's found his home in Burnley with Pace the Moron missionary.

• Like 7

An evening to be pleased and proud as a Rovers fan.

Lets get the bleedingly obvious out of the way, they’ve lost a lot of their better players and, as of today, aren’t as impressive as the team that Kompany had a couple of years back.

Focusing on us though. Today was everything we didn’t show the last time at Turf Moor. Courage, determination and work rate across the whole squad. A left back thrown in at the deep end. A manager who wasn’t afraid to change his principles. Eustace and the boys weren’t going to allow themselves to be bullied today. Compared to November 2022, it was night and day.

That is what is/was most pleasing. Ok we were wasteful in possession and the Gueye sending off was petulant and immature (if a little harsh and further typified the inconsistency of the referee) we also relied on a wonder goal in a game where chances were of a premium. But the heart and character are things to build on.

Looking back at his time as gaffer, the Turf Moor game was a low point for JDT and the first time confidence in his style started to wane…I think it’s fair to say that Eustace has enhanced his stock after today and deservedly earned more credit with the fanbase.

And in closing……oh and the offside? I guess we’re even now for Dunny!

• Like 4

If you can't beat them for whatever reason, just don't lose to them. Would've taken a point before the game and given how the 2nd half developed you simply have to take the point and move on.

Ref had a stinker, had no control over the game throughout. Don't think either set of fans will be particularly happy with him, but I imagine Burnley fans are relieved that a perfectly good Rovers goal was chalked off.

2nd half performance felt similar to Leeds away last season in terms of resilience. Burnley for all their possession where really quite poor 2nd half, and Pears thankfully didn't have much to do.

On the sending off, think Gueye can consider himself hard done by for the first yellow, and then falls victim to a silly rule that shouldn't exist. Hopefully he learns from it. Might not have a championship goal to his name yet but he has 3 lovely assists. Proving himself to be a nuisance for opposition defenders.

Weimann with goal of the season in the biggest away game of Rovers season. No need to run a competition at the end of the season now. Reminded me a lot of Andy Cole against Liverpool at Anfield on Boxing Day, but even Coley had to chest that one down first.

If Beck performs to a similar level all season then we have ourselves a new left back at least for this campaign. Pickering should be facing a spell on the bench when back from injury.

We go into the 2 week break in good in good spirits. Really pleased with the start that Rovers have made and with the new additions I hope they can kick on and maintain a steady position in the top half of the table.

On Trav....can't remember if he played in the game at Turf Moor when JDT was manager, but thought he was brilliant as captain today. Clearly understood the importance of the game.

Finally, the manager. We all loved JDT's football when it clicked, but I have to say Eustace is working wonders so far this season. It won't be pretty at times but that's fine. I would much prefer we went back to the Mark Hughes days of being a tough to beat, resilient side that can play nice football when its the right time. Should be all about winning first in this division and I think JE knows it.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, OllieNO said:

Worst ref I’ve seen in a good while. Not just the offside - so many weird/biased calls. He certainly didn’t need to give the yellow to Gueye, and how did he at least not give a yellow to the Burnley player there as well? Seemed to just wait for an excuse to book or give free kicks against us. Shocking.

had he given the clear yellow then it would not have been a problem it was the fact he was booking rovers players for things that others were getting away with he lost control of the game and was the main reason things were getting more heated

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Groundhog said:

We have a genuine grievance with the disallowed goal, dependant on whether Hedges committed a foul, but there is no excuse for Gueye doing what he did. He let everyone down and was lucky his team mates got him out of the shit.

2 minutes ago, sharpysharps86 said:

If you can't beat them for whatever reason, just don't lose to them. Would've taken a point before the game and given how the 2nd half developed you simply have to take the point and move on.

Ref had a stinker, had no control over the game throughout. Don't think either set of fans will be particularly happy with him, but I imagine Burnley fans are relieved that a perfectly good Rovers goal was chalked off.

2nd half performance felt similar to Leeds away last season in terms of resilience. Burnley for all their possession where really quite poor 2nd half, and Pears thankfully didn't have much to do.

On the sending off, think Gueye can consider himself hard done by for the first yellow, and then falls victim to a silly rule that shouldn't exist. Hopefully he learns from it. Might not have a championship goal to his name yet but he has 3 lovely assists. Proving himself to be a nuisance for opposition defenders.

Weimann with goal of the season in the biggest away game of Rovers season. No need to run a competition at the end of the season now. Reminded me a lot of Andy Cole against Liverpool at Anfield on Boxing Day, but even Coley had to chest that one down first.

If Beck performs to a similar level all season then we have ourselves a new left back at least for this campaign. Pickering should be facing a spell on the bench when back from injury.

We go into the 2 week break in good in good spirits. Really pleased with the start that Rovers have made and with the new additions I hope they can kick on and maintain a steady position in the top half of the table.

On Trav....can't remember if he played in the game at Turf Moor when JDT was manager, but thought he was brilliant as captain today. Clearly understood the importance of the game.

Finally, the manager. We all loved JDT's football when it clicked, but I have to say Eustace is working wonders so far this season. It won't be pretty at times but that's fine. I would much prefer we went back to the Mark Hughes days of being a tough to beat, resilient side that can play nice football when its the right time. Should be all about winning first in this division and I think JE knows it.

I dont get why the rule booking a player for asking for a yellow card shouldnt exist. It is terrible sportsmanship.

Travis I think played with Garrett in a bizarre team that Tomasson played last time around.

• Backroom
1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

We have a genuine grievance with the disallowed goal, dependant on whether Hedges committed a foul, but there is no excuse for Gueye doing what he did. He let everyone down and was lucky his team mates got him out of the shit.

Moment of stupidity and I’m sure he’ll learn, he’s been brilliant and was once again for our goal today 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, arbitro said:

From afar I thought he showed the Dingle a yellow card but the fact he didn't just sums him up. He was awful.

He has to get hauled over the coals by his assessor for that performance, right?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Off topic but those “pushover” newly promoted sides Derby and Oxford both got good results today. We’ve had a cracking start to the season and significantly strengthened our side in the last couple of days. No reason it can’t continue. 

Thinking that before, we are difficult team to play against with obviously a decent manager.

• Like 1

Just now, roversfan99 said:

I dont get why the rule booking a player for asking for a yellow card shouldnt exist. It is terrible sportsmanship.

Travis I think played with Garrett in a bizarre team that Tomasson played last time around.

It shouldn’t exist purely for gestures. They’d have been down to 7 players and no manager after about 14 minutes if he’d booked one of theirs for verbally demanding bookings.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Groundhog said:

Hannibal shoved him. 

• Backroom
1 minute ago, Miller11 said:

It shouldn’t exist purely for gestures. They’d have been down to 7 players and no manager after about 14 minutes if he’d booked one of theirs for verbally demanding bookings.

Never mind the fact that many players (on both sides) throw themselves to the ground and feign injury to get people booked.

The arbitrary line that’s drawn and pearl clutching over a pretend card is bizarre in honesty. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

he was  stupid for reacting how he did but the referee was a major major factor in this 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

the way the ref was throwing cards around,gueye should have known he was intent on sending someone off,that was the stupid bit from him,he gave the ref the excuse he needed

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Off topic but those “pushover” newly promoted sides Derby and Oxford both got good results today. We’ve had a cracking start to the season and significantly strengthened our side in the last couple of days. No reason it can’t continue. 

PNE will be off to Shrewsbury next year. 

• Like 1