BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Burnley (a) - 31/08/2024

3 hours ago, Miller11 said:

Did you notice Benson stropping off “injured” in the dying stages? I’d be livid if one of ours had done that. Stories of unhappy and striking players usually have some basis in truth. I’m glad they kept hold of Trafford though, really bad keeper. 

I think anyone who took the piss out of Eustace for all his togetherness talk last year will regret doing so pretty soon. It’s helped us look the side most deserving of three points today.

What gives with this? Weren't clubs trying to sign him for like £20m? He was really poor.

2 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

The flag was for Hedges being offside, not Dolan. Both are onside but Hedges is more marginal.

FWIW I think Hedges could have been done for fouling their defender (another marginal call) so VAR may not have saved us anyway.

He clearly fouled Hedges!

• Like 5

I feel sorry for referees in modern times. They are not allowed to use their discretion or common sense. They HAVE TO give a decision in accordance with the specific thing that happens. 

Football is a beautiful game and fans should be able to enjoy not only two teams going head to head but also the performance and character of the referee. Back in the 1950s and 60s we had good and bad refs as per normal but we enjoyed their idiosyncrasies . I always believed that the ref was totally honest and doing his job to the best of his ability. Some were real characters who contributed to the entertainment.

In today's game ALL the cards should never have been given in my opinion; to either side. It was a feisty game as you would expect but nothing happened that was vicious or dangerous. The modern football rules are stupid. Referees must be given back the right to use their own discretion for the good of the game.

If not you might as well have a Dalek on the pitch to enforce the law.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, bazza said:

I feel sorry for referees in modern times. They are not allowed to use their discretion or common sense. They HAVE TO give a decision in accordance with the specific thing that happens. 

Football is a beautiful game and fans should be able to enjoy not only two teams going head to head but also the performance and character of the referee. Back in the 1950s and 60s we had good and bad refs as per normal but we enjoyed their idiosyncrasies . I always believed that the ref was totally honest and doing his job to the best of his ability. Some were real characters who contributed to the entertainment.

In today's game ALL the cards should never have been given in my opinion; to either side. It was a feisty game as you would expect but nothing happened that was vicious or dangerous. The modern football rules are stupid. Referees must be given back the right to use their own discretion for the good of the game.

If not you might as well have a Dalek on the pitch to enforce the law.

Just imagine Souness & Keane playing today? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

The flag was for Hedges being offside, not Dolan. Both are onside but Hedges is more marginal.

FWIW I think Hedges could have been done for fouling their defender (another marginal call) so VAR may not have saved us anyway.

I thought the decision was for the block? and it was a poor decision.

We didn't get the rub of the green today.

• Backroom

Hope Eustace gets the new keeper in after the international break.

Pears just isn’t up to it, didn’t have much to do today but still managed to look dodgy, for the goal he was heading across his goal so it’s difficult but still a bit disappointing but then the shocking pass right down the middle and the random coming from his goal to claim a ball that was never his stood out.

He then seemed scared to come for anything till late in the game where he had his one standout moment when he was decisive and came for a good punch.

Both he and his opposite number got lucky today with errors 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, 47er said:

I thought the decision was for the block? and it was a poor decision.

We didn't get the rub of the green today.

On a replay the ref can clearly be seen raising his hand and saying “offside”. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

What gives with this? Weren't clubs trying to sign him for like £20m? He was really poor.

Came through City’s academy, so some nerd will have manipulated some “numbers” somewhere and given him an arbitrary base value of £15 million that all the other data led recruiters will adhere too. Honestly I think he’s a really bad keeper. Weak as piss, error prone, frequent lapses in concentration, positional suspect, and cocky as hell. I wouldn’t be in any rush to swap him with Pears.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, windymiller7 said:

Funny you should use the school teacher analogy - I was watching the game with my daughter's boyfriend (city fan for his sins) & when Parker was trying to square up to JE, he said

"It looks like the maths teacher trying to argue with the PE teacher - only one winner there!"  🤣

Brilliant, tickled me that! 

• Like 2

On the disallowed goal my first reaction was that the dingle commited a foul.and the ref pulled it back cos he had blown.  At first I was pissed he did not allow the advantage.  Offside my arse.

• Like 6

Just now, USABlue said:

On the disallowed goal my first reaction was that the dingle commited a foul.and the ref pulled it back cos he had blown.  At first I was pissed he did not allow the advantage.  Offside my arse.

That was my initial reaction as well.

That game was so one sided from the ref it was like playing at old Trafford in the 90s.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, booth said:

When Mak was sent off, Eustace was scribbling away in a notepad shaking his head, containing his anger, coming up with a plan. Very professional I thought with everything stacked against him. Many managers would have imploded.

Parker would have done a wee in his nickers.