BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Burnley (a) - 31/08/2024

2 hours ago, RTM08 said:

You could say that about Dolan multiple attacks. There was an earlier one where he was put through by Gueye and Weimann was free at the back post and fuming that he didn't pass.

And Weimann was absolutely wrong to fume about it. Firstly the pass would have been harder to pull off than the shot due to players closing down the angle. Secondly, if he had instead stayed alert rather than fuming about it he might have had the chance to sneak a goal in when the ball came back down near that post a moment later.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 8
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

That was the catalyst for the sending off. Had he done his job and correctly cautioned the Burnley player with an early yellow card it would have killed the incident dead. I'm not excusing Gueye here but there is culpability in the referees part. Hopefully his coach points this out to him.

Maybe our coach pointed it out to him as well.

4 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

And Weimann was absolutely wrong to fume about it. Firstly the pass would have been harder to pull off than the shot due to players closing down the angle. Secondly, if he had instead stayed alert rather than fuming about it he might have had the chance to sneak a goal in when the ball came back down near that post a moment later.

I thought that as well. I also thought Dolan’s first touch was heavy, taking him too close to goal and leaving a shot his only option. On another point, when shooting in that position - go higher, not along the ground.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I thought Weimann acted like a baby then, if he wasn’t sulking kicking the post he could of challenged for the rebound, it was embarrassing to watch 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, tomphil said:

The fact that loads of them seem to be defending the awful ref tells it's own story.

He got them out of jail FACT.

Yeah you just need to read this thread to see the true level of disillusionment:
https://www.uptheclarets.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=77292&sid=761fea8b59e3f4110386cdc1e37e9e7d

There's also talk of how dominant they were, we had the most clear cut chances in the 2nd half, and after the sending off weren't we the ones to actually register a shot on target? They were completely blunt up front. Benson falling over on the touchline on 96mins summed it up. All the talk too of how their players needed to settle, our best performance came from a player who had been at the club for 2 days...

Lots of them seem to think we're tinpot for celebrating a draw. If you can't celebrate a hard point with 10 men away from home, after all the talk that they were going to hammer us, after being 2nd best for 10 years, with a bench that cost more than our squad - then maybe try a different sport... any Rovers fan under 30 won't have known a time when we were on top. Football comes in waves and it needs some perspective. It was more of an outpouring of relief that the team turned up and fought more than anything. We all want a competitive derby in East Lancashire. 

On the game, I'm really surprised they didn't do more to overlap down our flanks, to really get in behind, they never doubled up on us and kept going at Hedges and Beck - I thought they'd pass us to death and switch it about more. After the first 15 minutes it looked as if the game would only go one way, Brittain didn't bust that extra gut to get close, like a hot knife through butter, but after that, we suddenly showed some real steel and harried everything. Their goal typifies our big weakness this season, we are guilty of being too relaxed and capable of falling asleep at the back - Hyam actually ran with Foster for a bit then just marked the space, frustrating. He recovered well though and I hope that puts to bed the nightmare of the last encounter down there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

He did it repeatedly though, for far too long. Easy to blame the referee who was very poor throughout but in this instance the blame lies with Gueye for stupidity.

For me, the spirit of that rule is about not getting up in the officials' face to try force the issue. Gueye was miles away from them. The ref should have also been booking the lad, once you've sent Gueye off for asking for it it's pretty obvious you're booking the dingle cos he deserved to be booked and not cos you were coerced.

That foul was far worse than the one Gueye got his first yellow for! Which was another joke of a decision. All wrong from this crap ref. Gueye needs to show more restraint with things like that though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

Proper grinning at how rattled they still are about not winning yesterday. Desperately clinging to absolutely anything. A funny bunch over there.

I've got one saying 14 years, I said come back in 20 years and he said I'm living in the past .. I said 14 years ago  is in the past but he actually said its the past , future and present ... weird bastards

Edited by ABBEY

21 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I thought that as well. I also thought Dolan’s first touch was heavy, taking him too close to goal and leaving a shot his only option. On another point, when shooting in that position - go higher, not along the ground.

That was my first thought, but on reflection I think the touch was about as good as could be expected. The only alternative was taking it wide with his left foot, where a cross under pressure becomes the only option. The pass was a bit close to his body too, so I think he did well considering. Agree a shot lashed up at the top left corner would have been best though, but the keeper was pretty well set to react up or down at that angle. What was needed was power whichever way he went, and tbf he was on his weak foot.

16 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

That was my first thought, but on reflection I think the touch was about as good as could be expected. The only alternative was taking it wide with his left foot, where a cross under pressure becomes the only option. The pass was a bit close to his body too, so I think he did well considering. Agree a shot lashed up at the top left corner would have been best though, but the keeper was pretty well set to react up or down at that angle. What was needed was power whichever way he went, and tbf he was on his weak foot.

There was a lot of pace on the pass as well,  but there had to be to get the ball through. The more I see of Guyere the more I like, that was a really good ball to Dolan. Great header down for the goal as well. As someone else said - very Jim Fryatt.

• Like 2

• Herbie6590 changed the title to v Burnley (a) - 31/08/2024
  • Herbie6590 unpinned this topic
1 hour ago, Groundhog said:

Yeah you just need to read this thread to see the true level of disillusionment:
https://www.uptheclarets.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=77292&sid=761fea8b59e3f4110386cdc1e37e9e7d

There's also talk of how dominant they were, we had the most clear cut chances in the 2nd half, and after the sending off weren't we the ones to actually register a shot on target? They were completely blunt up front. Benson falling over on the touchline on 96mins summed it up. All the talk too of how their players needed to settle, our best performance came from a player who had been at the club for 2 days...

Lots of them seem to think we're tinpot for celebrating a draw. If you can't celebrate a hard point with 10 men away from home, after all the talk that they were going to hammer us, after being 2nd best for 10 years, with a bench that cost more than our squad - then maybe try a different sport... any Rovers fan under 30 won't have known a time when we were on top. Football comes in waves and it needs some perspective. It was more of an outpouring of relief that the team turned up and fought more than anything. We all want a competitive derby in East Lancashire. 

On the game, I'm really surprised they didn't do more to overlap down our flanks, to really get in behind, they never doubled up on us and kept going at Hedges and Beck - I thought they'd pass us to death and switch it about more. After the first 15 minutes it looked as if the game would only go one way, Brittain didn't bust that extra gut to get close, like a hot knife through butter, but after that, we suddenly showed some real steel and harried everything. Their goal typifies our big weakness this season, we are guilty of being too relaxed and capable of falling asleep at the back - Hyam actually ran with Foster for a bit then just marked the space, frustrating. He recovered well though and I hope that puts to bed the nightmare of the last encounter down there.

Yes we did really well not to capitulate like last time, their goal was well executed but far too easy to set up and get on the end of.

First real quality we've faced though so that is going to happen at times and it was actually refreshing to see a couple of old school goals.

Run, cross, big lad finds space for bullet header then a quality shoot on sight equaliser.

I can say with confidence i don't think that equaliser happens under our previous two managers. He'd have brought it down and squared it to someone who'd then have passed it backwards !

Just shows what we've been missing.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

There was a lot of pace on the pass as well,  but there had to be to get the ball through. The more I see of Guyere the more I like, that was a really good ball to Dolan. Great header down for the goal as well. As someone else said - very Jim Fryatt.

Yeh it was a good pass, just a little difficult to control any better than was done. I think the touch was good really, took the ball to the right spot for me. Just needed more oomph in the shot, but it wasn't an easy one to score.

For me, the only way things could have gone better really in terms of the setup for the chance is if Dolan was quicker than he is.

Gueye is a very handy player. Just need him to start getting on the scoresheet with more regularity, but he makes things happen.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, pick32 said:

I thought Weimann acted like a baby then, if he wasn’t sulking kicking the post he could of challenged for the rebound, it was embarrassing to watch 

I just watched it back after reading this and it doesn't make a good watch. He is still raging with his back to the game, when the ball comes back to where he would have been...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Groundhog said:

My mate was criticising us this morning for celebrating a draw. I said I'm not celebrating, I'm actually disappointed we didn't win. 

It's massive credit to Eustace that yesterday's game turned into the game we wanted to play rather than the other way round.

It was a Hughes like performance, he got every ounce out of every player. 

• Like 9

Absolutely incredible day yesterday, suffering today but well worth it. We could've won but it felt like a win yesterday especially against all the odds (man sent off, useless ref and wrongfully disallowed goal). I think more so for me who was there the season before last. We were so bad that day and every single player got played off the pitch. It was 3-0 but could've been worse. Summed up humiliatingly with kaminski being barged into the net.

To see the difference yesterday and to not only compete but out battle and dig deep for the club. So so good. They can say all they want but off yesterday's performance they have fallen massively in those two years. New players or not every player position for position you'd say they were better on paper. Weimann's finish was absolutely insane and I snapped my seat jumping around celebrating. Must've watched it back 50 times already today. Gueye being sent off was daft but as others have said could've been avoided if the ref did his job and hadn't lost the game.

If they think they are going to walk the championship like last time I think they're slowly starting to realise it won't be as easy this time around. Couple that with all the off the pitch stuff. Selling all assests and replacing them largely with loan to buy deals. Tells me if they don't go straight back up they are financially fucked.

Edited by Danny O.Brien
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Their rattled make no mistake.

There's a thread on Up the Clarrots about their window being saved and how confident they were about beating us, which particularly ramped up when their starting line-up was announced. Absolutely golden to see them fail to muster up anything of note after their opener, particularly when we went down to ten men. The amount that squad must be worth, and they couldn't beat a supposed relegation favourite.

Interesting that all the stuff about Venky's has completely quietened down from their side. Now, they've got to get back to the realities of the Championship, a manager that seems thoroughly unhappy about the situation there (we should know better than anybody the effects of that), and the small matter of the utterly dire financial situation they suddenly found out that they're in.

For all the laughing they've done at us over the years, I hope they crash and burn.

• Like 9