BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Burnley (a) - 31/08/2024

22 minutes ago, sympatheticclaret said:

Although I sort of see what you mean, it's a fabulous piece of " punditry yoga " to get to the point that the fact that Scott Parker, his coaching staff and the players haven't got a "scooby " who might or might not be available , is a disadvantage for t'Rovers !!

It isn't a stretch of the imagination to say that Rovers will have at least 4-5 hours between the window shutting 11pm tomorrow night and the build up to the game to work out who the hell is starting for you and prepare accordingly. But yes I get what you mean. Of course, I hope we just turn up, keep it tight and defend well regardless of who you have left. It looked like you might lose Koleosho and Foster at one point, but I imagine they will start now, unless there's late bids.

We are a known quantity, big lad and a little lad up front, semi-broken Welsh lad on wing, Icelandic lad who may nor may not turn up. Petulant lad in middle who is ineffective on a booking. Dodgy keeper and powder puff centre half. No pace. Easy peasy. To have a chance we need 8 or 9/10 performances across the board and some sort of game plan to stop you. Eustace did it last season against bigger teams. 

Whoever is left after the window is shut will want to kick on presumably, unless there in a massive sulk, and the derby game is as good as any.

Edited by Groundhog

That last time we played at turf Moor, starting Mola is well documented. But we also had a midfield of Travis, Morton and Garrett. Add in a centre back pairing of Hyam and Ayala and then remember we tried to play tika-taka out of defence all game. Then look at their starting line up.

Is it any wonder we didn’t get in their half?

When we went a goal down we threw Vale on as first sub.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hasta said:

That last time we played at turf Moor, starting Mola is well documented. But we also had a midfield of Travis, Morton and Garrett. Add in a centre back pairing of Hyam and Ayala and then remember we tried to play tika-taka out of defence all game. Is it any wonder we didn’t get in their half?

That game was an utter disgrace, one which many will never forget. JDT totally downplayed it, VK didn't. I had to look at the team the other to remind myself and time away hasn't made it any better. Morton. Ayala. Mola. Throw in an ineffective Diaz, a powderpuff Hyam and it was a recipe for disaster (I'll never forgive Diaz for some of those phoned-in performances that season).

Edited by Groundhog
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Whilst I'm sure this isn't the week that Burnley will have been hoping for, is it fair to say that (as things stand) you look like keeping more of your first teamers than some of the stories from a few days ago would have suggested?

Our last game before relegation was confirmed, was away at Spurs, on 11th May. We lined up ...

Muric   ( now Ipswich )

Assignon  (  back to Rennes )

O'Shea   ( now Ipswich )

Esteve   ( still here )

Taylor   ( now Southampton )

Brun-Larsen   (  back at Hoffenheim )

Cullen ( missed last 2 games, injured ? )

Berge  ( now Fulham )

Vitinho   (  missed last 2 games, under offer from Botafogo )

Okobert   ( now Spurs )

Foster   ( still here )

Of the 9 players on the bench that day, Rodrigues is definitely staying. Tresor & Ekdal are injured and the club are looking to offload Benson & Trafford. The Club have turned down a £3.7m offer for Brownhill. Amdouni's in Portugal now having his Benfica medical, Berg Gudmundsson has taken the Saudi League " schilling and Fofana's back at Chelsea ...

Not expecting any sympathy on here, I should add .... I expect this to be the reaction !

OIP (4).jpg

Edited by sympatheticclaret

13 minutes ago, sympatheticclaret said:

Our last game before relegation was confirmed, was away at Spurs, on 11th May. We lined up ...

Muric   ( now Ipswich )

Assignon  (  back to Rennes )

O'Shea   ( now Ipswich )

Esteve   ( still here )

Taylor   ( now Southampton )

Brun-Larsen   (  back at Hoffenheim )

Cullen ( missed last 2 games, injured ? )

Berge  ( now Fulham )

Vitinho   (  missed last 2 games, under offer from Botafogo )

Okobert   ( now Spurs )

Foster   ( still here )

Of the 9 players on the bench that day, Rodrigues is definitely staying. Tresor & Ekdal are injured and the club are looking to offload Benson & Trafford. The Club have turned down a £3.7m offer for Brownhill. Amdouni's in Portugal now having his Benfica medical, Berg Gudmundsson has taken the Saudi League " schilling and Fofana's back at Chelsea ...

Appreciate that a lot (to put it mildly) of players are out of the door. Plenty needed to given the size of your squad, but that's a slightly different point.

But it seemed as though a few days ago Brownhill, Benson, Koloeosho, Foster, Trafford and maybe others seemed to be going out of the door alongside the others that have already gone. It seems as though some of these might be more likely to be staying now? I could be wrong of course. 

Edited by Admiral Nelsen

• Backroom

Their fans are seeming a lot more confident on twitter today with Koleosho and Foster staying and signings coming in 

3 hours ago, Miller11 said:

Pears 😡

JRC       Carter     Batth    Pickering

Brittain    Travis   Tronstad   Cantwell

Ohashi   Gueye

Good Lord Duncan, I’m glad you’re not in charge! 

Pears

Brittain Carter Batth Pickering

Travis Tronstad

Hedges Cantwell Sigurdsson

Gueye 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hasta said:

That last time we played at turf Moor, starting Mola is well documented. But we also had a midfield of Travis, Morton and Garrett. Add in a centre back pairing of Hyam and Ayala and then remember we tried to play tika-taka out of defence all game. Then look at their starting line up.

Is it any wonder we didn’t get in their half?

Didn't he start Brittain at left back and Hedges at right back? 

4 minutes ago, M_B said:

As inverted wing backs wasn't it? This was to stop their quick wide players cutting inside and shooting. He played three centre halves in Mola, Hyam and Ayala. His rationale for playing Mola was that he was quick but then Ayala played so deep because he was slow. It certainly wasn't Tomasson's finest your and it was probably as low as I have felt for many years watching Rovers. The team selection coupled with too many players waving the white flag played right into their hands.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

As inverted wing backs wasn't it? This was to stop their quick wide players cutting inside and shooting. He played three centre halves in Mola, Hyam and Ayala. His rationale for playing Mola was that he was quick but then Ayala played so deep because he was slow. It certainly wasn't Tomasson's finest your and it was probably as low as I have felt for many years watching Rovers. The team selection coupled with too many players waving the white flag played right into their hands.

If we'd just played how we'd played in previous matches it probably wouldn't have turned out as bad as it did. He completely changed the formation, personnel and way we played for that one match.

• Like 1

Showing more fight than the last time is a bare minimum that I'll at least be satisfied with.

They should beat us, but we've confounded the odds before.  Head says 3-0, but heart is 2-2,  late equaliser from Ohashi and the scruffs go into meltdown.

Let's just let them know they are in a game and we know what this derby means. I want a few yellows for proper tackles, last time we didn't lay a glove on them.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

Our best hope is that the Burnley squad are all angry, worried and distracted by all the turnover of players. And Parker borrows Tony Mowbray's tombola.

Rumours abound that there will be angry chants of " Who the f******g hell are you ? ", as kick-off time approaches tomorrow .... probably in the home dressing room !

• Like 3

5 hours ago, M_B said:

5 hours ago, arbitro said:

I dont recall but you are probably right. The only thing I remember is our one foray and shot in the second half was the result of our one and only long ball out of defence. Scott Wharton on the bench. Adam Wharton not even in the squad.

Think the best we can hope for is a hard fought draw, but I suspect we'll come up short and it'll be a 2-1 win for Burnley and a Pears howler likely costing us a point. I think Rovers will certainly give it more of a go than they did last time they went to Turf Moor and JDT basically rolled over for them with a horrific team selection.

My predicted team:

Pears

Brittain   Carter   Hyam   Pickering

Travis    Tronstad

Hedges      Dolan     Sigurdsson

Gueye

I don't think any of the new signings will start even if they have signed in time. Gueye to score for Rovers.