BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

23 minutes ago, NeilInBristol said:

Our first signing of the Summer window!

Is he going to be better or worse than Gally?

All I can tell you for sure is this thread will include people telling you 'well he can't be worse than Gally', despite that being factually completely inaccurate.

• Like 4

• Backroom

His Rovers TV interview has a translator speaking over the top of him. Who was the last Rovers player that couldn't speak English?!

• Like 1

Big pressure on him to score goals when Szmodics goes, fingers crossed he can help to plug the gap. Its an interesting couple of potential additions along with Ohashi, when a similar joint fee gets Stoke Gallagher and Ennis, or it could have got us (maybe even for a fee higher than what we are spending) Dykes. It shows that the domestic market is really hard to find quality, so looking further afield makes sense.

His goal record in Belgium is consistently 1 in 3. So not bad, not prolific. He has played for weaker sides so was somewhat up against it, he will likely be in a struggling side here so he will be used to it. How does the Belgian league compare to the Championship quality wise?

I read on this thread both that he had some penalties amongst those goals and that his goals mainly came in a short burst, and then topped up with 3 in the end of season play offs against only weaker teams. He was described as not a natural finisher and not technically great in the LT today by a Belgian league expert. Perhaps not the natural goalscorer we sorely will need.

His spell in Spain in the second division was clearly a nightmare, couldnt score a goal and their fans are very vocal on social media on how bad he was. Hopefully that was because the Spanish style doesnt suit him, and maybe the Championship will, but still it is a bit of a red flag.

Everything suggests that his main attribute is his ability in the air. We don't have good crossers, but Eustace does like long ball football, so it is hard to tell whether his style suits us.

Just a few thoughts, and overall a very difficult transfer to predict without any of us knowing who he is.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Madon said:

His Rovers TV interview has a translator speaking over the top of him. Who was the last Rovers player that couldn't speak English?!

Jalil Saadi is a French speaker, so may have another part to his utility role.

Gueye's goal record isn't amazing as a target man striker and he's 26, so I'm cautious. I would hope we didn't over spend on him.

On 31/07/2024 at 00:04, Madon said:

manager king Kenny. 

haha

• Like 3

So we sre swapping proven Championship calibre for unproven at this level.  What could possibly go wrong.  I hope Eustace is on board with these players and has a plan. I really hope Sammy falls thru the cracks till at least January.  The lil dynamo brings.more than just goals, runs till he drops, plays thru the pain when he can.  I remember many of us having doubts about him when we bought him so maybe at least one of the others pans out in a similar vein.

Edited by USABlue
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, USABlue said:

So we sre swapping proven Championship calibre for unproven at this level.  What could possibly go wrong.  I hope Eustace is on board with these players and has a plan. 

Question is, who is selecting these players and what (other than being cheap or free and available) are their selection criteria?

• Like 1

Looking at some of Makhtar 'Pape' Gueye's background, he is 26, 6"5 and around 90kg and has averaged around 10/11 goals a season playing for low-placed teams in the Belgian top flight. Before that, he was at St Ettiene, having moved from his birthplace, Dakar, Senegal. He struggled for goals as a young forward in France but had something of a breakthrough in Belgium.

Reportedly, he was close to joining Burnley whilst Kompany was in charge, before he moved to Real Zaragoza, where he didn't, apparently, manage a goal during a loan season. He returned to Belgium and this summer he was linked with a move to Standard Liege, after 11 goals during the relegation season of RWD Molenbeek

There's a report that suggests that he had some off-field disciplinary problems relating to frequent non-payment of traffic fines whilst at Oostende and Zaragoza.

I also saw a report that he is with the Dutch-based SEG Agency, which also represents Jon Dahl Tomasson. So, the links might've originated there, possibly - though transfermarkt lists him with a different group. 

It's hard to tell how he'll fare but, overall, I think the core of the squad is so weak, signings like this cannot make a fundamental difference. These type of signings should really be considered the cherry on the top.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, riverholmes said:

I also saw a report that he is with the Dutch-based SEG Agency, which also represents Jon Dahl Tomasson. So, the links might've originated there, possibly - though transfermarkt lists him with a different group.

It's been reported that Gestede has strong networks in France and Belgium, and that it's him that lured him to Rovers.

On paper, Gueye looks like a good target man for this league. Fingers crossed he proves it and he curtails any off-field misdemeanours.

32 minutes ago, goozburger said:

It's been reported that Gestede has strong networks in France and Belgium, and that it's him that lured him to Rovers.

On paper, Gueye looks like a good target man for this league. Fingers crossed he proves it and he curtails any off-field misdemeanours.

Have we got a, head of off field discipline ?

• 3 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

Have I missed this? 

Just watching Jock football now - related?

Screenshot_20240825-200241.png

I think "Gueye" is the Senegalese version of "Smith"

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/schnellsuche/ergebnis/schnellsuche?query=gueye 10 Pages of Gueyes here, most are from Senegal

This is Big Maks brother apparently

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/el-hadji-gueye/profil/spieler/795055

Edited by KentExile
  • Like 1

• Herbie6590 changed the title to Makhtar Gueye

First time seeing him play on Saturday.

His enthusiasm and smile are infectious, can't help thinking that his very presence within the squad is worth it alone, regardless of first touch or shooting ability. Loved the way he was on Brittain's case after 2 minutes for a crap cross. Get it on his head, he seems to back himself.  

He feels like a player who I've seen play against us, making me say "wish we had someone like that".

I feel like we've signed very similar players over the last 5 years due to our predicament, similar stage in their careers, similar temperament etc, similar backgrounds even - don't know about anyone else, but it's all about group dynamics - a character or someone from another country like Pape and Yuki can often give the others something to unite around, even take the piss out of when they pronounce words wrong in a friendly way and lighten the mood, take the pressure off. It probably sounds daft, but from my experience in working around Europe etc the best times have come from being around all sorts of people, backgrounds and nationalities, I've wanted to treat them better and impress them, rather than the same boring lot I see every day! Possibly a load of romantic bullshit but I feel it's true, you just need characters, a good dynamic and sometimes the team can manage itself...

Time will tell, but so far so good. Just needs that league goal. I'm sure we'll have some dire games and some sublime ones.

In a way JE has it easy - just tell him go to Turf Moor and score the winner and you'll basically be regarded as an utter legend by 30 odd thousand plus people for the rest of your life. Up there with the likes of Lee Williamson 🤣

Edited by Groundhog
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Neal said:

Not sure if this has been pointed out but... 

Makhtar Gueye now has 3 assists in 4 games, that's as many as Sam Gallagher had IN THE WHOLE OF LAST SEASON. 

images.jpeg

He’s everything that Gally wasn’t. Let’s say you’re a centre half- who would you rather play against ? Him or Gally ?

• Like 2