BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Bristol City (h) - 14/9/2024

1 hour ago, Forever Blue said:

It’s irrelevant up to a point if the first XI is stronger on paper. It’s essentially a new manager using new tactics and employing the same players in different ways.

You could have a weaker squad on paper and get better results if the manager is utilising his resources to the max and the previous manager wasn’t. 

I think squad depth, as you say, will be key. It’s far better than last season, and Eustace appears to have a canny knack of mainly making the right subs at the right time.

I’m optimistic for this season. I think Eustace is a good ‘un.

I suppose it is only important to an extent how strong the first 11 are in that over the course of a season, you will make so many changes both in games and from game to game. We definitely appear to have more options and more experience.

There are obviously a lot of question marks. With Eustace, he still has some proving to show that he can push us on IMO. His record im sure I read was 5 wins, 10 draws and 5 losses so its not great, but results this season have shown improvement.

Reaction to the window has been very positive, I think it is certainly better than we expected but perhaps thats partly down to low expectations. We also dont truly know how good some of them are, we assume as understandably we will that they will all live up to expectations. The 2 strikers have captured the imagination but how many goals will they get between them to help make up the Szmodics hole? Is Toth going to play and be good as otherwise we are already accepting with Pears that he is going to cost us points? And can Cantwell and Cozier-Duberry give us an upgrade on Dolan and in particular Hedges who have proven not really to be more than solid squad options.

With the others, I think they should help to provide some further depth, having a bench filled with players like Telalovic, Garrett, Markanday etc last season caused a real unhealthy dependance on the first 11.

Its obviously not as straightforward as looking on paper as you touch on. Travis for example had fallen well out of favour under Tomasson, now with the foil of Tronstad he looks like a real asset. On the flip side, JRC has gone from being a brilliant Championship right back to an out of form utility man who Eustace cannot really justify a place for anymore.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Im not actually sure we have improved our starting 11 this summer in that I only would say/guess at this point that Cantwell and Gueye are probably going to be first 11 players in the near future. The rest will mainly be the usual suspects, a lot of average to decent Championship players, and those 2 would technically be replacing Szmodics and Gallagher. And even though Cantwell is as good as we could expect in that position and Gueye seems an upgrade on Gallagher, simply because of Szmodics being so good and scoring so many, they wont match the 30 goals those 2 had "between" them. Travis being back is key but we did have Wharton until the end of January.

The 3 most important signings are perhaps the foreign ones, we need Gueye and Ohashi to score plenty to somewhat offset the Szmodics loss. Amidst the excitement of signing 2 foreign strikers who already are becoming cult heroes, and there are clear positive signs with both, they both do have question marks in certain areas and its hard to tell especially with Gueye how many goals we will get. Toth is the crucial one, if hes no good and/or just a back up, one of our big 2 issues (on the field) last season was in net, both keepers were shocking and cost us so many points. If Toth comes in and proves to be up to the job however, then different story.

The second big issue from last season was the lack of depth, no side in the league was as thin as ours. The first 11 (well outfield 10) was competitive but it was beyond that when the problems started. Experienced squad players like Baker, Batth and Weimann might start less than half of the games but they reduce the strain on the first 11. Hopefully the loans such as Cozier-Duberry and Beck can also ensure that the overall squad is much deeper and more well rounded.

That will be important because using your subs is so important when you get 5 and we rarely did last year because there was no real options. But moreso as the games go by, injuries and suspensions crop up and we are not having to regularly use players like Garrett, Markanday and Telalovic.

Personally I think we've improved the squad, and the starting XI, massively.

Gueye and Ohashi are a big upgrade over Gallagher (and whoever you want to pick out of Ennis / Telalovic et al). Gueye's main contribution isn't going to be through goals (although he already has a couple) it's his hold up play and the chaos he causes in defence (he has four assists so far).

I think you're downplaying Cantwell somewhat. If Eustace can help him get back to his best he's a far more talented player than Szmodics - if you look at Cantwell's stats in Scotland he had a pretty healthy return of goals and assists (especially considering the fans up there hate him), so it's not like he's a reclamation project. 

Beck is clearly better than Pickering, the question is whether Eustace is brave enough to play his best players or he'll look to keep the dressing room harmony and play his more senior one. 

Baker is better than Garrett.

We have to hope Toth is better than Pears. 

The roll of the dice is Cozier-Duberry - could be brilliant, could be completely overawed by men's football, we'll just have to wait and see, but if something clicks it won't take much to contribute more than Dolan and Hedges. Just ask Weimann

• Like 3

11 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

i don`t know anyone who thinks these "breaks" are worthwhile,same with that inane nations league,only lot that benefit are the f.a who coin it in from the idiots who pay to watch england stroll about

Think Nations League is pretty good when we were in Group  A - competitive games, and teams are taking it more seriously. Spain winning the Nations League last time bed the team in and set them up well for the euros.

But now we are down in Group B it's like friendlies or qualifying. Just playing games which are not really a contest at all.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Gueye and Ohashi are a big upgrade over Gallagher (and whoever you want to pick out of Ennis / Telalovic et al). Gueye's main contribution isn't going to be through goals (although he already has a couple) it's his hold up play and the chaos he causes in defence (he has four assists so far).

I think you're downplaying Cantwell somewhat. If Eustace can help him get back to his best he's a far more talented player than Szmodics - if you look at Cantwell's stats in Scotland he had a pretty healthy return of goals and assists (especially considering the fans up there hate him), so it's not like he's a reclamation project. 

Beck is clearly better than Pickering, the question is whether Eustace is brave enough to play his best players or he'll look to keep the dressing room harmony and play his more senior one. 

The roll of the dice is Cozier-Duberry - could be brilliant, could be completely overawed by men's football, we'll just have to wait and see, but if something clicks it won't take much to contribute more than Dolan and Hedges. Just ask Weimann

I'd say Gueye and Weiman are obvious big upgrades over what we had, Gueye on his own looks a transformative player who could be one of our best ever buys in the Championship, and I like Ohashi but not completely convinced he will continue his early form. Can't consistently beat a player which is an issue imo... but he needs time. Certainly started very well though.

Everyone else (Cantwell, Beck, Baker, Toth, Cozier-Duberry, Batth) we need to see play more to come to a view. But feeling positive about all of them except Batth and Baker who look more like fillers to me. But way to early really to call.

9 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I agree on the squad, which I acknowledged the importance of. But in terms of the starting 11, I have assumed for the time being that Gueye and Cantwell are the only 2 likely to be at least initially in our best 11.

I think the key to changing that is if any of the others break into the side which they may well and hopefully will do. Toth is the key one, if he does become our number 1 and surely improves that position then the discussion potentially changes. Cozier-Duberry is totally untested but again with his pace if he can settle as a regular at this level then again, thats a game changer. Beck impressed on debut but I dont think it is "clear" that he is an upgrade on Pickering just yet, I personally rate Pickering and he himself started this season well, but even if Pickering is first choice we look good in that position.

Baker, Batth and Weimann will likely be squad players and ones with experience, so undoubtedly a big help.

I am not downplaying the Cantwell signing, he is an exciting signing and if we can get him focused then he undoubtedly has loads of ability. I also think Gueye is going to be an obvious upgrade on Gallagher even if I am unsure of how many goals he is capable of scoring. But its impossible to ignore how big a hole Szmodics will leave, he is irreplacable as no way could we sign a player in his position to score 27 league goals. Cantwell and Gueye may prove to be an exciting duo but they wont get 30 league goals between them.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I agree on the squad, which I acknowledged the importance of. But in terms of the starting 11, I have assumed for the time being that Gueye and Cantwell are the only 2 likely to be at least initially in our best 11.

How often do you get your first choice 11? Surely you need a squad with range of different options? 

I think the key to changing that is if any of the others break into the side which they may well and hopefully will do. Toth is the key one, if he does become our number 1 and surely improves that position then the discussion potentially changes. Cozier-Duberry is totally untested but again with his pace if he can settle as a regular at this level then again, thats a game changer. Beck impressed on debut but I dont think it is "clear" that he is an upgrade on Pickering just yet, I personally rate Pickering and he himself started this season well, but even if Pickering is first choice we look good in that position.

Baker, Batth and Weimann will likely be squad players and ones with experience, so undoubtedly a big help.

Why can't Weimann been first team regular? 

I am not downplaying the Cantwell signing, he is an exciting signing and if we can get him focused then he undoubtedly has loads of ability.

If we get him focused? What do you mean by this? Why wouldn't he be focused here? 

I also think Gueye is going to be an obvious upgrade on Gallagher even if I am unsure of how many goals he is capable of scoring.

Gueye will get around 10-12 goals this season. His movement and hold up play is much better. 

But its impossible to ignore how big a hole Szmodics will leave, he is irreplacable as no way could we sign a player in his position to score 27 league goals. Cantwell and Gueye may prove to be an exciting duo but they wont get 30 league goals between them.

You can't directly do it but the squad can. 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

I am not downplaying the Cantwell signing, he is an exciting signing and if we can get him focused then he undoubtedly has loads of ability. I also think Gueye is going to be an obvious upgrade on Gallagher even if I am unsure of how many goals he is capable of scoring. But its impossible to ignore how big a hole Szmodics will leave, he is irreplacable as no way could we sign a player in his position to score 27 league goals. Cantwell and Gueye may prove to be an exciting duo but they wont get 30 league goals between them.

Beck's debut was better than any performance Pickering has put in for us.

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Beck's debut was better than any performance Pickering has put in for us.

Millwall away first away game a few years ago Pickering was good in a similar environment and us under the cosh.

May or may not have been his full debut i can't quite remember but he looked sharp that day.

Serious loss of the little pace he had has clearly affected him.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

How often do you get your first choice 11? Surely you need a squad with range of different options? 

Why can't Weimann been first team regular? 

If we get him focused? What do you mean by this? Why wouldn't he be focused here? 

Gueye will get around 10-12 goals this season. His movement and hold up play is much better. 

You can't directly do it but the squad can. 

Which is why I said that it is important that our overall squad has been made deeper in the window.

But specific to the first 11, I am not sure if it has necessarily been improved, unless some of the signings who may not initially be in the first 11 break into it. Toth is a big one, Cozier-Duberry and Beck are also potential candidates.

Cantwell has had a reputation as a player who can cause problems. Hence why we got an undoubtedly talented player for so cheap. If we can get him settled then he could be a very good signing.

Im not sure that Gueye can or will get 10-12 goals. No doubting other parts of his game are strong but his finishing and technical ability from a very small sample size seem (in line with comments from an expert of the Belgian League) is quite poor. Not that he isnt an asset in other ways.

So yes, as it stands. I see a stronger squad, not necessarily the first 11 but that hopefully will change especially if Toth gets into the team and solves a problem position. 

Can anyone help me with this….. my girlfriend is over from Arizona and is coming to her first Rovers game, she wants some photos with the players before the game, where do we need to go and at what time to meet the players coming into the ground?

Any help would be amazing. Thanks 

21 hours ago, philipl said:

After so long without that Rovers feeling of excitement twisted with apprehension of impending cock-ups,  it's back again.

Match day is approaching...

Ah there is nothing like a Blackburn Rovers international break for for bringing you back to earth faster than NASA has managed with those astronauts.

2-1 Bristol City. Please God let me be wrong.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Which is why I said that it is important that our overall squad has been made deeper in the window.

But specific to the first 11, I am not sure if it has necessarily been improved, unless some of the signings who may not initially be in the first 11 break into it. Toth is a big one, Cozier-Duberry and Beck are also potential candidates.

Cantwell has had a reputation as a player who can cause problems. Hence why we got an undoubtedly talented player for so cheap. If we can get him settled then he could be a very good signing.

Im not sure that Gueye can or will get 10-12 goals. No doubting other parts of his game are strong but his finishing and technical ability from a very small sample size seem (in line with comments from an expert of the Belgian League) is quite poor. Not that he isnt an asset in other ways.

So yes, as it stands. I see a stronger squad, not necessarily the first 11 but that hopefully will change especially if Toth gets into the team and solves a problem position. 

I think this the first 11 thing is wrong these days cos it's about different starting 11 depending on tactics, formation, etc

That's my view anyway

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think this the first 11 thing is wrong these days cos it's about different starting 11 depending on tactics, formation, etc

That's my view anyway

Football is obviously very much a squad game these days and as I said, the squad is stronger now.

But the discussion started with discussions on how the starting 11 AND the squad are potentially stronger, and at the moment, I wouldnt necessarily agree with the former. Its not as if a strongest 11 is totally wrong, if everyone was match fit and we had a cup final tomorrow, I suspect there would be a side that Eustace would know almost 1 to 11 that he would pick. Id guess at something like Pears / Brittain Carter Hyam Pickering / Travis Tronstad / Hedges Cantwell Dolan / Gueye.

That could change and it could develop into a situation where our best 11 is stronger too. Mainly in goal where I think Pears will unfortunately be number 1 for the forseeable, but if Toth became number 1 and was a big improvement, and/or if say Cozier-Duberry hits the ground running and becomes a regular, then maybe our first could also become stronger.

Assuming no training injuries and excluding Leonard and Gilsenan plus suspended Gueye, Rovers can now field two elevens of recognised senior players.

So who is not even going to make the subs bench tomorrow?

Are youth in Tyjon and Duru to be sacrificed?

Edited by philipl

Listening to the managers interviews yesterday, my expected team is:

Pears

Brittain.  Carter.  Hyam.   Beck

Travis.   Sonny

Weimann.     Dolan.      Hedges

Ohashi

Subs - Toth, JRC, Batth, Pickering, Baker, Buckley, ACD, Cantwell, Siggy

Rationale:

Toth only trained once, so not had enough time.

Pickering and Batth both just back. The former not risked from the start. Beck to keep his spot.

Weimann to keep his spot (Rightly so) and be replaced at 65 mins by ACD to inject some pace and excitement. I fancy these two to dovetail this season. Play tye 90 mins between them.

Dolan has started well but now has Cantwell breathing down his neck. Feel like it will be Cantwell for Hedges at 65 mins and Dolan out to the left. 

• Like 4

• Backroom
9 hours ago, Crozzy said:

Can anyone help me with this….. my girlfriend is over from Arizona and is coming to her first Rovers game, she wants some photos with the players before the game, where do we need to go and at what time to meet the players coming into the ground?

You have to be very early, I'm not sure exactly what time but it'll be between 12pm & 1pm I'd imagine.

The players enter at the corner between the Darwen End and the Jack Walker Stand, most park on the small car park which is adjacent. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Crozzy said:

Try getting in touch with Lindsey Talbot at the club and explain the circumstances ie it's your girlfriends first game, travelled from American etc. There is no guarantee but in the last supporters travelling from other countries have been given VIP treatment.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Can't consistently beat a player which is an issue imo... but he needs time. Certainly started very well though.

To be fair the likes of Leonard and Gallagher couldnt beat a player. I don't think Yuki is necessarily the kind of player who is going to go up to the last defender and waltz past him. However so far I think he has shown better movement and finishing ability than both of those I've mentioned.

As you say, it's early days though. For 10 games on loan, Vratislav Gresko was the best full back I'd ever seen at Ewood.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1

Definitely one to bite us on the arse tomorrow looking at all the positivity.

Bristol City decent record at Ewood winning 3 of the last 6 since we came back up to the Champ in 2018.

Think we lose 1-0 in a really frustrating encounter to bring everyone back down to earth.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Madon said:

You have to be very early, I'm not sure exactly what time but it'll be between 12pm & 1pm I'd imagine.

The players enter at the corner between the Darwen End and the Jack Walker Stand, most park on the small car park which is adjacent. 

Thank you. Appreciate you replying