BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Bristol City (h) - 14/9/2024

1 hour ago, M_B said:

Don't you think that the situation Eustace inherited last season had a bearing on how he set his team up, ie don't lose? 

Last season was always going to be a needs must situation, completely different from starting the new campaign  after having a pre season. 

Perhaps, but it doesnt alter the opinion I hold that he has still to prove his competence in terms of how I mentioned. His record thus far overall is unremarkable.

Thats not a dig and from a very small start of only 4 games, there are clear positive signs. But I am not wholly sure either way so far.

Edited by roversfan99

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Perhaps, but it doesnt alter the opinion I hold that he has still to prove his competence in terms of how I mentioned. His record thus far overall is unremarkable.

Thats not a dig and from a very small start of only 4 games, there are clear positive signs. But I am not wholly sure either way so far.

I am more interested in Eustaces future results rather than his past ones. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Last season, Eustace needed to keep us up. That's it. Pick up points and with him only having 15 players he rated we had to play a certain way. His job last season was to keep us up? You disagree? Do you think we should have played differently?

Eustace has changed formation and playing attacking football but also has more players he trusts and wants to use. Which you seen us unbeaten in the league. You not happy with 8 points in 4 games including 2 home wins? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Last season, Eustace needed to keep us up. That's it. Pick up points and with him only having 15 players he rated we had to play a certain way. His job last season was to keep us up? You disagree? Do you think we should have played differently?

Eustace has changed formation and playing attacking football but also has more players he trusts and wants to use. Which you seen us unbeaten in the league. You not happy with 8 points in 4 games including 2 home wins? 

Youve typically taken my points out of context and manipulated conclusions based on things I havent said.

Ive acknowledged the good start of 4 games. Last season obviously the primary and minimum objective was survival which we just about achieved. We ended closer to the drop zone than when he came in, it was hardly the miracle he portrayed and there were concerning aspects last season. There is enough emerging evidence to suggest that Eustace is capable, but not enough evidence yet factoring in his overall record to be totally sure either way.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Youve typically taken my points out of context and manipulated conclusions based on things I havent said.

Ive acknowledged the good start of 4 games. Last season obviously the primary and minimum objective was survival which we just about achieved. We ended closer to the drop zone than when he came in, it was hardly the miracle he portrayed and there were concerning aspects last season. There is enough emerging evidence to suggest that Eustace is capable, but not enough evidence yet factoring in his overall record to be totally sure either way.

The thing is, the way you have stated your opinion, gives the impression that you are sure Eustace will fail. If that is not your opinion then I apologize. But it is the impression that I have got.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

They sold our best player in January.

17 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Look at the comments from Scott Wharton, John Eustace and Callum Brittain where they talk about team spirit being low and Eustace needed to build that confidence up and he couldn't make any signing. Have you ever been in a team when the team spirit is low and everyone is downbeat and angry? 

Eustace got the job done last season. Simple as. Only thing that matters. 

This season, we seen a very different approach from Eustace and we got 8 points from 4 games and we seen us score plenty of goals. Eustace has shown both side of his approach and he can adapt and change when needed, surely you see that? 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, rigger said:

The thing is, the way you have stated your opinion, gives the impression that you are sure Eustace will fail. If that is not your opinion then I apologize. But it is the impression that I have got.

How you have got that conclusion from me saying that I still dont know for sure whether he is up to the task of taking us forward, but the signs this season have been positive, is beyond me.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Look at the comments from Scott Wharton, John Eustace and Callum Brittain where they talk about team spirit being low and Eustace needed to build that confidence up and he couldn't make any signing. Have you ever been in a team when the team spirit is low and everyone is downbeat and angry? 

Eustace got the job done last season. Simple as. Only thing that matters. 

This season, we seen a very different approach from Eustace and we got 8 points from 4 games and we seen us score plenty of goals. Eustace has shown both side of his approach and he can adapt and change when needed, surely you see that? 

My point is merely that he is yet to prove either way. His record overall of 5 wins, 10 draws, 5 losses (that stat may not be accurate so worth double checking) does not at this stage prove without any doubt that he definitely IS the man for the job.

But as I said, so far so good this season. If he carries on, then he potentially will prove that.

17 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

My point is merely that he is yet to prove either way. His record overall of 5 wins, 10 draws, 5 losses (that stat may not be accurate so worth double checking) does not at this stage prove without any doubt that he definitely IS the man for the job.

But as I said, so far so good this season. If he carries on, then he potentially will prove that.

Fair enough if that's your opinion. 

I look at the way Gueye and Ohashi have settled in quickly and fitted into what Eustace wants to do. Suggests to me he has good man management skills 

49 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Losing only 5 out of 20 when he took over a team in free fall is an excellent record in an ultra competitive division. Add in the fact he didn’t have much to work with in terms of squad depth and I think he’s earned the right to have a right good go at it, as Bowyer used to say!

So when will you be able to say he IS the man for the job? What specifically are you looking for him to achieve this season and beyond?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forever Blue said:

Losing only 5 out of 20 when he took over a team in free fall is an excellent record in an ultra competitive division. Add in the fact he didn’t have much to work with in terms of squad depth and I think he’s earned the right to have a right good go at it, as Bowyer used to say!

So when will you be able to say he IS the man for the job? What specifically are you looking for him to achieve this season and beyond?

We just need to turn the occasional draw into a win. I'll be chuffed if that happens. 

Looking forward to tomorrow's game and I hope we are up for it. 

1 hour ago, Dontfuckwithcats said:

We will win tomorrow 

Oh boy, I hope so.

But I don't think we are secure enough in ourselves as a team and squad for that sort of certainty.

I look at the Bristol City defense and am pretty certain we have enough in our likely starters and subs to get goal chances and listen to their boss and doubt he will have fixed the problem. So my hunch is more that they will lose than we will win if that makes sense...

3 hours ago, Forever Blue said:

I dont know exactly where we should be finishing. With the 5 losses, I would also argue that 5 wins in 20 is not great and that 25 points from 20 is very average. But there are enough signs from the limited sample of 4 games that hopefully he can improve on that.

The point that he has still to fully prove himself was not necessarily a criticism. Just a point that he as manager is one of a number or variables that at this stage we cant be sure which way it will go.

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Fair enough if that's your opinion. 

I look at the way Gueye and Ohashi have settled in quickly and fitted into what Eustace wants to do. Suggests to me he has good man management skills 

Ok. Not really relevant, and Gueye has scored 0 goals and has 1 red card in his 4 league games for all the promise. He might have good man management, my point was that we need to see an upturn in results compared to his first 20 games. The final 4 of those 20 hopefully will be indicative of what is to come.

51 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Ok. Not really relevant, and Gueye has scored 0 goals and has 1 red card in his 4 league games for all the promise. He might have good man management, my point was that we need to see an upturn in results compared to his first 20 games. The final 4 of those 20 hopefully will be indicative of what is to come.

Must’ve forgotten his goal in the cup and 3 assists, but don’t let the truth get in the way of a negative narrative, eh?

Whats evidentially visible from Eustace’s tenure is that he inherited a team hurtling towards relegation. He was able to implement a tactical strategy with that group that his predecessor could not. He oversaw and upturn in form, was not remarkable to watch but did stem the flow. What’s also clear is that, regardless of his public support of the squad, he didn’t rate a lot of them (he references only feeling able to use 15 players in total). This season he has shown himself able to evolve those tactics and the early signs, including his use of the bench are encouraging. I don’t think he suffers fools but it’s obvious from the multiple player accounts and interviews is that he is fair and the players want to play for him.

The jury has not cast its verdict yet, but it’s not far away. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Of course it about man management skills. Eustace has good man management skills. Do you not agree? If so why? 

Gueye's overall play is good. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Old Codger said:

Seems to be working again now. Ho hum. My question for all this digital crap is, "what happens if the power goes off?"

Also, printed out our tickets for the Blackpool carabao game but they got soaked on the way to the ground, and although the barcodes were still visible, the readers on the gates at the ground wouldn't scan them. Nearly took the flaming gate off myself, and the 12 year old steward had even fewer ideas about what to do.

I say, bring back people on the turnstiles, clackers that would take your ear off, bovril hot than a sun-spot and good old fashioned tackling below the knee with studs showing. Namby pamby digital powder puff gobshite nonsense.

But as for tomorrow, I'm wary of a touch of over-confidence creeping in. Just go out there and do your best for the team chaps!

COME ON YOU BLUES!

Hard tackles without the studs showing and I’m in 💪

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Must’ve forgotten his goal in the cup and 3 assists, but don’t let the truth get in the way of a negative narrative, eh?

Whats evidentially visible from Eustace’s tenure is that he inherited a team hurtling towards relegation. He was able to implement a tactical strategy with that group that his predecessor could not. He oversaw and upturn in form, was not remarkable to watch but did stem the flow. What’s also clear is that, regardless of his public support of the squad, he didn’t rate a lot of them (he references only feeling able to use 15 players in total). This season he has shown himself able to evolve those tactics and the early signs, including his use of the bench are encouraging. I don’t think he suffers fools but it’s obvious from the multiple player accounts and interviews is that he is fair and the players want to play for him.

The jury has not cast its verdict yet, but it’s not far away. 

Eustace did extremely well to keep us in this division last season.

We had relegation written all over us when he took over.

It matters not one jot that we didn't win a home game in the process.

• Like 2