BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Bristol City (h) - 14/9/2024

1 minute ago, London blue said:

On the Eustace chat, I think it's pretty clear what @roversfan99 is saying; he isn't sure yet.

Which is fine, because it's been what, 20 league games? People are welcome to nail their colours to the mast and say they think JE is the man for the job, that's fine. It's equally OK to admit to not being sure yet. 

Sometimes it's OK not to have a cast iron opinion on a topic.

And it’s ok to ask what success would look like to @roversfan99. I’m looking forward to his answer. 

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Exactly tomphil.

Yet another one for next week’s FF @only2garners @K-Hod

Along with why you can’t just walk into the shop and buy an away ticket when they literally have them piled up behind the counter.

The clubs very own 'nudge unit' towards needless all digi ticket only.

I mean if they are so set on modern technology, saving the planet and not employing anybody then why no turnstiles where you just pay via card/phone as you enter ?

Surely that makes more sense than anything.

15 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Perhaps, but it doesnt alter the opinion I hold that he has still to prove his competence in terms of how I mentioned. His record thus far overall is unremarkable.

Thats not a dig and from a very small start of only 4 games, there are clear positive signs. But I am not wholly sure either way so far.

We were always going to be of a different opinion on this one. I was happy to leave last season and give him a fresh start, which you questioned more than once. 

You were always going to carry last season's form into this season. 

5 hours ago, arbitro said:

800 or so Bristol City fans are expected today with NO tickets available on the day again. Who on earth is making these silly decisions - I'd really like to see their justification.

Certainly a shift in policy from previous years. Normally it seemed to be no tickets on the day if the away team were in danger of bringing enough walk ons to require opening up another section of the ground (other half of bottom tier or open all top tier). I understand that as you may not have the stewards or catering staff planned. That’s what I thought happened with Derby on the opening day.

But when there’s 800 coming in a section of the stand that can hold over 2000 it’s daft.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 5

Just now, Hasta said:

Certainly a shift in policy from previous years. Normally it seemed to be no tickets on the day if the away team were in danger of bringing enough walk ons to require opening up another section of the ground (other half of bottom tier or top open all top tier). I understand that as you may not have the stewards or catering staff planned. That’s what I thought happened with Derby on the opening day.

But when there’s 800 coming in a section of the stand that can hold over 2000 it’s daft.

There are certain fixtures when the no tickets on the day policy makes sense but Oxford and Bristol City are really low risk in that respect. I'd love to know the rationale here.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, arbitro said:

There are certain fixtures when the no tickets on the day policy makes sense but Oxford and Bristol City are really low risk in that respect. I'd love to know the rationale here.

penny pinching at it`s finest,save a couple of hundred quid by closing the ticket office,all part of swag meeting his targets and his bonus for achieving them

• Backroom
2 hours ago, Dontfuckwithcats said:

This infuriates me aswell and the faces they pull, I've had some serious injuries in my time and didn't feel the need to roll around slapping my hand down with my mouth wide open, it is absolutely pathetic!

When rovers do it it angers me aswell.

There should definitely be something in place to stop it, ruines the game and makes players become unconfident in proper tackles.

I understand it can change the game winning free kicks and stifling then opponent via a yellow card, but I'd rather not have the advantage imo.

I've never seen rovers as a major diving team, there are alot worse, including bonley 2 weeks ago.

It’s bonkers. Anyone who’s had a genuine sporting injury (whether minor or serious) knows that you hit the deck if you need to and don’t fucking move until you’re being treated.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Mike E said:

It’s bonkers. Anyone who’s had a genuine sporting injury (whether minor or serious) knows that you hit the deck if you need to and don’t fucking move until you’re being treated.

Unless you are playing rugby, in which case you play on, indifferent to the pain and gallantly supporting your team mates by not being a wuss. Which in its own way is just as mindless as rolling around like a moron! Anyway, the point is well made that Rovers don't have a particular reputation for such theatricals (Savage, El Haj Diouf, Bellamy and perhaps Travis in latter days being slight exceptions). Long may that continue - I wonder if our new golden balls (Cantwell) might have a thespian streak? Time will tell.

Not able to go today after all, with daughters needing ferrying to various dance classes and parties, and the in-laws coming for dinner.. Hoping to tune in from Denmark or such like...

Rovers have a couple of goals in them I think. But then again, maybe Brizzle do too. Too close to call this one, but anyway,

COYB!

1 hour ago, London blue said:

Didn't he say he didn't know?

Exactly. The manager hasn’t proved himself according to RF99, but he can’t/won’t say what Eustace proving himself would look like. 

An exercise in futility if ever there was one, but always amusing coming from a poster who demands answers from others. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

On away trips just about every club we visit has a ticket office open before the match. I can’t think of any that don’t offhand. Penny pinching. It’s really pathetic by Waggott but typical of the way he runs the club. 

Swansea a couple of seasons ago didn't. Living in Pembrokeshire wasn't originally able to go but could at last minute. Phoned Swansea but they said no tickets on the day so had to go in with the Swansea fans. Trying not to look too smug as the third goal went in! 

59 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

They don’t want to open and man the away ticket office for a couple of hours is I imagine the crux of it.

And yet 2 walk-ons will pay for itself.

20 minutes ago, M_B said:

I would imagine they would have to man/woman/person the area for a busiest case scenario. 

As above, yes if there’s a danger of quite a lot coming on the day, but I imagine that there is enough stewards to cope with Bristol City bringing an extra 100 or so.

8 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Must’ve forgotten his goal in the cup and 3 assists, but don’t let the truth get in the way of a negative narrative, eh?

Whats evidentially visible from Eustace’s tenure is that he inherited a team hurtling towards relegation. He was able to implement a tactical strategy with that group that his predecessor could not. He oversaw and upturn in form, was not remarkable to watch but did stem the flow. What’s also clear is that, regardless of his public support of the squad, he didn’t rate a lot of them (he references only feeling able to use 15 players in total). This season he has shown himself able to evolve those tactics and the early signs, including his use of the bench are encouraging. I don’t think he suffers fools but it’s obvious from the multiple player accounts and interviews is that he is fair and the players want to play for him.

The jury has not cast its verdict yet, but it’s not far away. 

You are so keen to go down your regular route of casting people as negative, which isnt a constructive argument.

Your analysis beyond your desire to call me negative is pretty similar to what I said. People seem to have interpreted what I said as me criticising the manager or suggesting that I am not a fan. My stance is that its still quite early and thus of course there are still doubts either way, but then I acknowledged that a good start to the season which gives hope that he can go on to do really well. Last season his points tally wasnt great, he failed to win a number of winnable home games and he will need to improve on winning 5 in 20. And I think he likely will.

The stuff on interviews I take with a huge pinch of salt. Its about results, players are not going to slag off the current manager.

Gueye I like the look of, but again he has to prove that he can score a decent amount of league goals.

3 hours ago, Forever Blue said:

So he’s yet to prove himself, but you don’t know what proving himself should look like? Seems a strange position to take. 

Again though, where do you think he should be finishing this season, roughly? What would success look like this season? 

I think the standard of the league is poorer this season. We clearly cant expect to make the play offs or anything like that, but I think we should be in that middle group of teams who should be aiming up towards perhaps that top half, in which case I would at least think its reasonable to have an eye on sneaking into the top 6, although 6th certainly isnt the minimum expectation.

So top half perhaps, or at the very least mid table miles away from relegation concerns.

1 hour ago, M_B said:

We were always going to be of a different opinion on this one. I was happy to leave last season and give him a fresh start, which you questioned more than once. 

You were always going to carry last season's form into this season. 

As time goes on obviously last season will become less and less relevant to any judgement.

If I wrote off last season entirely, I would be judging Eustace off 4 games and thinking that he is incredible. Once we are 20 or 30 games into the season, at that point I would obviously be judging on this season seeing as the league table would have taken shape. 

As it stands, he has still to prove himself either way, but the first 4 games gives me some emerging hope and optimism.

• Like 1