BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Bristol City (h) - 14/9/2024

Obviously knowing cantwell isn’t match fit wouldn’t it been wise to have give him 60 mins against Lyon for the 21s other night ? Would have gave the new keeper the game too to bed in as Barrett was crap anyway. 

time we humbled the knobbers now, had far too much luck against us over the years bar two games, horrible ugly team every year, they have discipline problems for sure… they are walking cards so rovers should exploit that. Todays showing should shift the extra 1k tickets with ease 

It seems that the performances of Baker and Carter have caused the biggest split. Baker was by far our poorest performer and I really hope that Eustace doesnt see him as a wide man going forward. You could tell he wasnt comfortable there and he also played there v Burnley in totally different circumstances, but he doesnt have the attributes to play there. That being said, even his set pieces and general use of the ball was poor which cant be put down to his position. Carter I thought was very good however, even going forward and Batth slotted in very nicely too.

With Cantwell doing that failed rabona, I am wary of the fact that the game is becoming more sanitised and a lot of individuality is being taken away, especially in this data driven modern game which is to the detriment of entertainment in a lot of ways. But I did feel like it was totally unnecessary and he wasted a good opportunity.

It would be interesting to know how Rankin Costello is feeling at the moment. After lots of talk about him V Duru recently for RB cover, it was a surprise to see neither start. He hasnt suited or played well out wide but it feels like he has really dropped down the pecking order when even though Cozier Duberry wasnt considered to start, Weimann wasnt deemed fit enough to start and Sigurdsson was ill, Eustace opted for Baker there and he didnt get on. I cant help but feel like he is a talented player that we may not utilise with him becoming a utility man to his own detriment.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Iould be interesting to know how Rankin Costello is feeling at the moment. After lots of talk about him V Duru recently for RB cover, it was a surprise to see neither start. He hasnt suited or played well out wide but it feels like he has really dropped down the pecking order when even though Cozier Duberry wasnt considered to start, 

Isn't Rankin Costello simply not fully fit? Playing at his best he's almost first pick.

He won't recover by keeping on struggling.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 47er said:

Isn't Rankin Costello simply not fully fit? Playing at his best he's almost first pick.

He won't recover by keeping on struggling.

Im not sure, he had missed a bit of training before the Derby game but that was 5 weeks ago. He started the following 2 league games and the cup game v Blackpool and hasnt played a minute for 2 and a half weeks since. 

I dont see in which position he will play in. Out wide, after struggling there, he has since seen others move ahead in the pecking order. Cozier Duberry has come in, Weimann seems ahead of him (wasnt fully fit to start today but still came on), Sigurdsson scored v Oxford so may be ahead of him, Hedges has moved back to the right and even Baker for some reason is considered out wide before him. He only played in central midfield once this season, in the cup when we rested Travis/Tronstad who are automatic picks and we also have Buckley and Baker there. And he isnt being considered it seems at right back which has been by far his most effective position at senior level.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Im not sure, he had missed a bit of training before the Derby game but that was 5 weeks ago. He started the following 2 league games and the cup game v Blackpool and hasnt played a minute for 2 and a half weeks since. 

I dont see in which position he will play in. Out wide, after struggling there, he has since seen others move ahead in the pecking order. Cozier Duberry has come in, Weimann seems ahead of him (wasnt fully fit to start today but still came on), Sigurdsson scored v Oxford so may be ahead of him, Hedges has moved back to the right and even Baker for some reason is considered out wide before him. He only played in central midfield once this season, in the cup when we rested Travis/Tronstad who are automatic picks and we also have Buckley and Baker there. And he isnt being considered it seems at right back which has been by far his most effective position at senior level.

Great overall performance today from the boys, great goals, and good team work, although I would be frustrated if I was jrc. Hes had almost 100 games at RB and ended up being the best RB arguably in the championship when he did play there, we all know what he’s capable of, so to not put him in when there’s a chance to seems strange. Also Blackpool game aside, his win ratio when playing is high and he showed how much we needed him last season. 

interesting to see how this goes. Manager doesn’t seem to have given him a fair chance in his actual playing position imo and then dropped him at the first opportunity. Can’t be good for confidence going forward if that’s how he manages his players. Similar to Baker today, not playing him in his actual position, how is he expected to impact the game positively and show what he can do 

On a positive note, was an enjoyable game today.  Bristol were not as good as I remember them  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

JRC  hasnt looked generally fit in his performances this season. Think he needs to work up his base level.

I reckon once the games start coming thick and fast in November to January he and the others on the fringes will see a lot of game time.

In my view Championship is a real two speed race. August to October and Feb till May its quite manageable and you only need maybe a 16 man squad. Its about a consistent first team. But that middle November to January is absolutely brutal. To survive it normally you need 20ish players rotating in and out.

Rovers (like a lot of Championship clubs) have really suffered over Christmas as we just haven't had enough quality players. Having a few good ones on the fringes is a good sign imo.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

JRC  hasnt looked generally fit in his performances this season. Think he needs to work up his base level.

I reckon once the games start coming thick and fast in November to January he and the others on the fringes will see a lot of game time.

In my view Championship is a real two speed race. August to October and Feb till May its quite manageable and you only need maybe a 16 man squad. Its about a consistent first team. But that middle November to January is absolutely brutal. To survive it normally you need 20ish players rotating in and out.

Rovers (like a lot of Championship clubs) have really suffered over Christmas as we just haven't had enough quality players. Having a few good ones on the fringes is a good sign imo.

I do think we are in a much better position with having more players available for when injuries etc happen I agree with you that Christmas time is always a struggle for us for that reason.

My concern is what we saw with Travis last season. If the manager doesn’t keep players feeling confident and part of the squad we know how that can end up! Losing Travis last season was not good, I just hope he keeps players moral up as we know (from Travis) how it can go when players don’t feel wanted or part of the squad.

7 hours ago, Old Codger said:

Pearsy doing the business again

Pearsy?..........One acceptably good day does not earn him an endearing adjustment to his surname.

6 hours ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Waggot starting to see Yuki more and more as a walking pound with every game that goes by. 

Be lucky to hang on to him in the winter window at this rate.

Defintely looking like the bargain of the decade! 

I was wondering when 1 of this lot was going to start the group apprehension or anxiousness over Yuki bids from PL clubs in the winter window.........Jesus, everybody relax; we're not even to the 10 match mark yet.....That said, I'm sure some scouts took notes today.

5 hours ago, RoversTilliDie said:

Another home win; another clean sheet; and a cracking goal from Yuki Ohashi, supporters sent home happy.

Another?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TheRovers1994 said:

Obviously knowing cantwell isn’t match fit wouldn’t it been wise to have give him 60 mins against Lyon for the 21s other night ? Would have gave the new keeper the game too to bed in as Barrett was crap anyway. 

time we humbled the knobbers now, had far too much luck against us over the years bar two games, horrible ugly team every year, they have discipline problems for sure… they are walking cards so rovers should exploit that. Todays showing should shift the extra 1k tickets with ease 

Really looking forward to a potential pasting of preston, they seriously hate us.

When we win we enjoy it a little, when they win they absolutely lose the plot, they love it.

I want to see us enjoy beating them as much as they do, really hit home to them, we are everything they have never been.

It would be an absolute pleasure to paste them come Sunday, il be there.

2 hours ago, Neal said:

Well...

What a day out today. That's as comfortable a performance I've seen from us for a long time. We looked extremely well organised and well drilled and for that we have to give the manager buckets of credit. I've been saying it for a little while now that I really like the way this guy operates, he's a very astute tactician and seems to know the league extremely well. 

We should give criticism where it's due and we should also give credit... Aynsley Pears didn't have much to do but kept them out with one brilliant save and another few good blocks aswell. Came off his line a few times and cleared his lines. A really solid performance from him today. 

Not sure what else I can say about Owen Beck other than he's premier league class. Quick, aggressive, disciplined, everything you want in a full back really. I was in the Riverside and 30 minutes into the game I could see he had already mentally defeated Sykes. 

I thought Danny Batth looked really good. Very calm, well organised, experienced, tidy and personally should keep his place based on that performance.

Still not sold on Hyam, first half he made a few mistakes and I could just generally feel that if they were to get back into the game it would be because of him. That said, a clean sheet and did some positive things in the game aswell so fair play. 

Carter at right back didn't look out of place at all. He might even be a better shout than Brittain based on that performance because he gets forwards well and is also better defensively. You can't change a back 4 that gets a clean sheet so this should be it for the foreseeable. 

Name me a better holding mid than Sondre Trosntad in the championship (I'll wait)... I'm a little surprised a German club or some other European side hasn't come in for him but I could definitely see him attracting some attention. So industrious, so tidy, so clever, a player who to me looks capable of higher levels. 

Lewis Travis has shown us what we were lacking last season. Many of us have given him stick and he's making us eat our words at the moment. He does tend to have good early season form and then taper off, hopefully he can keep these levels up because he and Sonny are dominant in there. 

Dolan is another that gets his fair share of stick but he needs to be given credit for the sheer amount of graft he gets through. It goes to show how you need to defend from the front to keep clean sheets because that's exactly what he does. His tracking back and high pressing shouldn't go unnoticed. As frustrating as he can be, he turns up every week and earns his place. 

Hedges and Baker gave similar performances to be honest. Nothing spectacular but disciplined and aggressive when necessary and both steady on the ball without anything in particular standing out. 

Yuki Ohashi... Words seem pointless to be honest. Earlier in the thread I said it was a big game for him to take the spotlight whilst Big Mac was out and... Wow. Has any other player made an impact for us like this in such a short space of time than this man? Shearer perhaps? 2 absolutely world class finishes. He reminds me of so many other great forwards we've had almost rolled into one. He didn't actually have that much to feed off really but has managed to batter in 2 unreal goals which is the sign of a top class striker. His finishing in both the air and floor really is impressive and comes across like he has buckets of self belief. We signed him for 100k, what's he worth now? Like many of our signings this summer... What an absolute gem! 

Little bit on the subs, Cantwell didn't really have much to do so not going to judge, probably say the same for Weimann. ACD showed glimpses of what he will have to offer when he decided to skin them a few times in added time, I'm sure he will be an exciting player to come in for when Hedges inevitably needs either a rest or gets injured. 

Overall, one of the most enjoyable days I've had at Ewood for a long time but I was a little disappointed with the lack of atmosphere and appreciation for the players at the end of the game. The supporters need to do better, I personally stayed and clapped till they walked down the tunnel. The stadium emptied really quickly before the final whistle and the lads had just put in an unbelievable performance... I thought they deserved a lot more from the fans all things considered. 

Took my 7 year old lad with me today who so far isn't really into football but I keep trying and managed to persuade him to come with me. He wore my shirt and hat from when I was a kid. Just put him to bed and he said "Today was the best" I said "oh yeah, which part was your favourite?" And he said... "When Rovers won". 

Absolutely made up.

RTID!

(He didn't drink it)

PXL_20240914_170928046.MV.jpg

Class!!!! 💓

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Neal said:

Well...

What a day out today. That's as comfortable a performance I've seen from us for a long time. We looked extremely well organised and well drilled and for that we have to give the manager buckets of credit. I've been saying it for a little while now that I really like the way this guy operates, he's a very astute tactician and seems to know the league extremely well. 

We should give criticism where it's due and we should also give credit... Aynsley Pears didn't have much to do but kept them out with one brilliant save and another few good blocks aswell. Came off his line a few times and cleared his lines. A really solid performance from him today. 

Not sure what else I can say about Owen Beck other than he's premier league class. Quick, aggressive, disciplined, everything you want in a full back really. I was in the Riverside and 30 minutes into the game I could see he had already mentally defeated Sykes. 

I thought Danny Batth looked really good. Very calm, well organised, experienced, tidy and personally should keep his place based on that performance.

Still not sold on Hyam, first half he made a few mistakes and I could just generally feel that if they were to get back into the game it would be because of him. That said, a clean sheet and did some positive things in the game aswell so fair play. 

Carter at right back didn't look out of place at all. He might even be a better shout than Brittain based on that performance because he gets forwards well and is also better defensively. You can't change a back 4 that gets a clean sheet so this should be it for the foreseeable. 

Name me a better holding mid than Sondre Trosntad in the championship (I'll wait)... I'm a little surprised a German club or some other European side hasn't come in for him but I could definitely see him attracting some attention. So industrious, so tidy, so clever, a player who to me looks capable of higher levels. 

Lewis Travis has shown us what we were lacking last season. Many of us have given him stick and he's making us eat our words at the moment. He does tend to have good early season form and then taper off, hopefully he can keep these levels up because he and Sonny are dominant in there. 

Dolan is another that gets his fair share of stick but he needs to be given credit for the sheer amount of graft he gets through. It goes to show how you need to defend from the front to keep clean sheets because that's exactly what he does. His tracking back and high pressing shouldn't go unnoticed. As frustrating as he can be, he turns up every week and earns his place. 

Hedges and Baker gave similar performances to be honest. Nothing spectacular but disciplined and aggressive when necessary and both steady on the ball without anything in particular standing out. 

Yuki Ohashi... Words seem pointless to be honest. Earlier in the thread I said it was a big game for him to take the spotlight whilst Big Mac was out and... Wow. Has any other player made an impact for us like this in such a short space of time than this man? Shearer perhaps? 2 absolutely world class finishes. He reminds me of so many other great forwards we've had almost rolled into one. He didn't actually have that much to feed off really but has managed to batter in 2 unreal goals which is the sign of a top class striker. His finishing in both the air and floor really is impressive and comes across like he has buckets of self belief. We signed him for 100k, what's he worth now? Like many of our signings this summer... What an absolute gem! 

Little bit on the subs, Cantwell didn't really have much to do so not going to judge, probably say the same for Weimann. ACD showed glimpses of what he will have to offer when he decided to skin them a few times in added time, I'm sure he will be an exciting player to come in for when Hedges inevitably needs either a rest or gets injured. 

Overall, one of the most enjoyable days I've had at Ewood for a long time but I was a little disappointed with the lack of atmosphere and appreciation for the players at the end of the game. The supporters need to do better, I personally stayed and clapped till they walked down the tunnel. The stadium emptied really quickly before the final whistle and the lads had just put in an unbelievable performance... I thought they deserved a lot more from the fans all things considered. 

Took my 7 year old lad with me today who so far isn't really into football but I keep trying and managed to persuade him to come with me. He wore my shirt and hat from when I was a kid. Just put him to bed and he said "Today was the best" I said "oh yeah, which part was your favourite?" And he said... "When Rovers won". 

Absolutely made up.

RTID!

(He didn't drink it)

PXL_20240914_170928046.MV.jpg

Regular reminder that Dolan is clearly heading for the exit on a free next year. Will be a loss in more ways than one. Would hope the club have a plan.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, riverholmes said:

Regular reminder that Dolan is clearly heading for the exit on a free next year. Will be a loss in more ways than one. Would hope the club have a plan.

Compensation, not a free, unless he moves abroad. As long as we offer him a deal on similar or better terms.

Lots of re-writing of history going on as regards JRC. Best RB In the Championship? Come on now!

JRC is slow and can’t defend. But he suited how JDT wanted his full back to play i.e. he was good enough technically to drop into midfield in that way (JDT in-joke) that Pep popularised.

Eustace does it slightly differently in that he likes his wide midfielder to drop into central areas and the full back to bomb on down the wing (see Brittain/JRC for most matches this season and then yesterday Baker/Beck)

I see people slagging Baker saying he isn’t a winger. He isn’t but again that isn’t the role he’s being asked to play. He’s there to drag people centrally, make the extra man in midfield, and leave the flank open for Beck. JRC does the same job on the other side when Brittain is playing. 

I think JRC is a really good footballer but he isn’t suited to either full back role under Eustace. He can’t fly down the wing and play the Brittain/Beck role and he isn’t a good enough defender to play the Pickering/Carter role. 

JRC was excellent under JDT as a No8 until he got injured. 

• Like 5

Really loving the look and feel of this Rovers side. It's got everything that I feel the best Rovers sides have had in the past - solid, well organised, hard working, get stuck in, and some quality up top. Eustace is following the Hughes/Allardyce blueprint here. Get in some experienced pros, be hard to beat, and get some quality up top.

It feels like a real shift in mentally from the club from previous seasons where we have essentially beena youth club. The main goal has all been about developing players and "creating value". Not this season. Eustace was not having that!

We won 3-0 yesterday and didn't even get out of first gear. I can't remember the last time that happened. We didn't even have our best team on the pitch. Cantwell, Duberry, and Gueye would be starters when everyone is available (although Yuki has to be in the team somewhere!). That is some talent right there. Beck is the new Warnock. Class player. What a gem.

We obviously can't get carried away after 5 games but we certainly have the ingredients for a top 6 finish in a weak league. We are hard to beat, have shown we have the resilience to come back from losing positions, experience all over the pitch, goals galore, fantastic options off the bench, some excellent attacking talent, added some pace in Duberry, and a manager who knows the league inside out. We're in for a very, very good season I think! 

• Like 7

5 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

On the nose.

I am struggling to think of a time since we were relegated from the Premier when we were going into the next game with 17 players deserving and easily good enough for first team starts and we'll over 20 I want to give game time to.

The lesson of JRC to the whole squad is have a stinker and you might not get a chance at redemption for weeks or months.

Pressure on places produced excellent performances from Pears, Beck, Batth, Dolan and Ohashi. Less so from Hedges and Baker who were both solid but solid is no longer good enough to keep your place in this squad.

The Tronstad Travis combination will take some shifting though.

• Like 4