BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Bristol City (h) - 14/9/2024

1 hour ago, Forever Blue said:

Lots of re-writing of history going on as regards JRC. Best RB In the Championship? Come on now!

JRC is slow and can’t defend. But he suited how JDT wanted his full back to play i.e. he was good enough technically to drop into midfield in that way (JDT in-joke) that Pep popularised.

Eustace does it slightly differently in that he likes his wide midfielder to drop into central areas and the full back to bomb on down the wing (see Brittain/JRC for most matches this season and then yesterday Baker/Beck)

I see people slagging Baker saying he isn’t a winger. He isn’t but again that isn’t the role he’s being asked to play. He’s there to drag people centrally, make the extra man in midfield, and leave the flank open for Beck. JRC does the same job on the other side when Brittain is playing. 

I think JRC is a really good footballer but he isn’t suited to either full back role under Eustace. He can’t fly down the wing and play the Brittain/Beck role and he isn’t a good enough defender to play the Pickering/Carter role. 

JRC was excellent under JDT as a No8 until he got injured. 

This is brilliant observation mate. Absolutely nailed it there.

JRC is going through an identity crisis under Eustace. He can’t play RB for the reasons you stated, he has played RM and CM in games this season and looked off but I think he can do what Baker did today, from the right and be effective in games, allowing space for Brittain on the overlap.

My feeling is that he will get more opportunities at RM and CM this season. Hope he comes back to form. Cracking player.

• Like 9

20 hours ago, Mercer said:

Some debate on this thread about Eustace.

To me, success thus season is at least  making the play-offs.

Don Mackay did it with even poorer resources and not even a feckin training ground.

If he achieves top 6,  I'll give Eustace the benefit of the doubt for another season.

Today is a red hot home banker.

🤣🤣🤣…we were “nailed on relegation fodder” a few weeks ago, now following a few  hundred thousand pounds of spend on deadline day, Eustace has to get us in the top 6 to get your blessing? Please.

99.9% of us believed we were relegation certs at the start of the Euros. The fact that those fans now no longer expect us to go down, most believe we can finish mid table and hope we can Nick a top 6 spot is testament to Eustace, the coaches and recruitment team. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Forever Blue said:

Lots of re-writing of history going on as regards JRC. Best RB In the Championship? Come on now!

JRC is slow and can’t defend. But he suited how JDT wanted his full back to play i.e. he was good enough technically to drop into midfield in that way (JDT in-joke) that Pep popularised.

Eustace does it slightly differently in that he likes his wide midfielder to drop into central areas and the full back to bomb on down the wing (see Brittain/JRC for most matches this season and then yesterday Baker/Beck)

I see people slagging Baker saying he isn’t a winger. He isn’t but again that isn’t the role he’s being asked to play. He’s there to drag people centrally, make the extra man in midfield, and leave the flank open for Beck. JRC does the same job on the other side when Brittain is playing. 

I think JRC is a really good footballer but he isn’t suited to either full back role under Eustace. He can’t fly down the wing and play the Brittain/Beck role and he isn’t a good enough defender to play the Pickering/Carter role. 

JRC was excellent under JDT as a No8 until he got injured. 

We could maybe argue that JRCs brief cameo last season as a centre back in a 3 just before JDTs departure would indicate that he may be able to play the Pickering/Carter full back role (albeit this was a very small sample size).  But that aside, I completely agree.  JRC is definitely not suited to the Brittain/Beck role.  I hope that he does manage to find himself a role in this team as he is a very good player when on song.

Edited by KentExile
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

A solid, workman like performance, lit up by two of the best finishes I’ve seen at Ewood.

Beat what’s in front of you, and we did. I still can’t work out if we played that well, or they were that bad. It matters not.

A team of 7/10 performances, with no dips and a couple of 8 or 9’s as follows; Owen Beck is Andy Robertson in disguise, and Pickering is done. Dolan played the best I’ve seen for a while and was excellent for the 2nd goal. The two goals from Yuki were PL class and his constant threat and running in behind causes mayhem.

FWIW - I don’t think this team has hit its straps at any point this season. The best praise I can give to Eustace is, In our worst moments, we’re a well coached, functioning team. In our best moments, we’re a brilliantly coached, highly functioning team. A team anyone would hate to play against.

The crazy thing is, I think this team can and will get much better! I don’t feel like we’re “overachieving” like I did under that purple patch with JDT and at some point we might have Gueye, Ohashi, Cantwell and ACD on the same pitch and firing…wow.

Special praise to the manager who’s dour media output confuses you into thinking he’s Clark Kent…only for him to turn around, rip his shirt open and…

Come on Rovers!!

It's interesting that you should refer to him as the manager, because that is how he comes across. 

Transfer window is closed, everyone else has melted into the background, and there is absolutely no doubt that Eustace is running the show. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Neal said:

Well...

What a day out today. That's as comfortable a performance I've seen from us for a long time. We looked extremely well organised and well drilled and for that we have to give the manager buckets of credit. I've been saying it for a little while now that I really like the way this guy operates, he's a very astute tactician and seems to know the league extremely well. 

We should give criticism where it's due and we should also give credit... Aynsley Pears didn't have much to do but kept them out with one brilliant save and another few good blocks aswell. Came off his line a few times and cleared his lines. A really solid performance from him today. 

Not sure what else I can say about Owen Beck other than he's premier league class. Quick, aggressive, disciplined, everything you want in a full back really. I was in the Riverside and 30 minutes into the game I could see he had already mentally defeated Sykes. 

I thought Danny Batth looked really good. Very calm, well organised, experienced, tidy and personally should keep his place based on that performance.

Still not sold on Hyam, first half he made a few mistakes and I could just generally feel that if they were to get back into the game it would be because of him. That said, a clean sheet and did some positive things in the game aswell so fair play. 

Carter at right back didn't look out of place at all. He might even be a better shout than Brittain based on that performance because he gets forwards well and is also better defensively. You can't change a back 4 that gets a clean sheet so this should be it for the foreseeable. 

Name me a better holding mid than Sondre Trosntad in the championship (I'll wait)... I'm a little surprised a German club or some other European side hasn't come in for him but I could definitely see him attracting some attention. So industrious, so tidy, so clever, a player who to me looks capable of higher levels. 

Lewis Travis has shown us what we were lacking last season. Many of us have given him stick and he's making us eat our words at the moment. He does tend to have good early season form and then taper off, hopefully he can keep these levels up because he and Sonny are dominant in there. 

Dolan is another that gets his fair share of stick but he needs to be given credit for the sheer amount of graft he gets through. It goes to show how you need to defend from the front to keep clean sheets because that's exactly what he does. His tracking back and high pressing shouldn't go unnoticed. As frustrating as he can be, he turns up every week and earns his place. 

Hedges and Baker gave similar performances to be honest. Nothing spectacular but disciplined and aggressive when necessary and both steady on the ball without anything in particular standing out. 

Yuki Ohashi... Words seem pointless to be honest. Earlier in the thread I said it was a big game for him to take the spotlight whilst Big Mac was out and... Wow. Has any other player made an impact for us like this in such a short space of time than this man? Shearer perhaps? 2 absolutely world class finishes. He reminds me of so many other great forwards we've had almost rolled into one. He didn't actually have that much to feed off really but has managed to batter in 2 unreal goals which is the sign of a top class striker. His finishing in both the air and floor really is impressive and comes across like he has buckets of self belief. We signed him for 100k, what's he worth now? Like many of our signings this summer... What an absolute gem! 

Little bit on the subs, Cantwell didn't really have much to do so not going to judge, probably say the same for Weimann. ACD showed glimpses of what he will have to offer when he decided to skin them a few times in added time, I'm sure he will be an exciting player to come in for when Hedges inevitably needs either a rest or gets injured. 

Overall, one of the most enjoyable days I've had at Ewood for a long time but I was a little disappointed with the lack of atmosphere and appreciation for the players at the end of the game. The supporters need to do better, I personally stayed and clapped till they walked down the tunnel. The stadium emptied really quickly before the final whistle and the lads had just put in an unbelievable performance... I thought they deserved a lot more from the fans all things considered. 

Took my 7 year old lad with me today who so far isn't really into football but I keep trying and managed to persuade him to come with me. He wore my shirt and hat from when I was a kid. Just put him to bed and he said "Today was the best" I said "oh yeah, which part was your favourite?" And he said... "When Rovers won". 

Absolutely made up.

RTID!

(He didn't drink it)

PXL_20240914_170928046.MV.jpg

Post of the season. 
And what a lovely way to end your day!

Fingers crossed there are many more stories like yours over the course of the season. 💪🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻💙🤍

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Post of the season. 
And what a lovely way to end your day!

Fingers crossed there are many more stories like yours over the course of the season. 💪🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻💙🤍

And his first pint…

He’ll need more of them, if he is going to start following Rovers! 😂 

• Like 6

57 minutes ago, M_B said:

It's interesting that you should refer to him as the manager, because that is how he comes across. 

Transfer window is closed, everyone else has melted into the background, and there is absolutely no doubt that Eustace is running the show. 

Agreed - I think the good old “Brummie John” has had us all fooled. He’s tactically astute, drives the highest professional standards and importantly has the full backing of the lads.

I reckon there’s a strong chance that by next summer, the hottest property at Ewood, and the person we most want to retain at all costs, might just be our manager.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 47er said:

Gotta love the LT! Who proof reads? Anyone?

"Rovers' retirement team will be over the moon with the start their two major foreign imports have made."

As well as terms like "top draw" (as an article headline no less!), "chomping at the bit" (in the very recent past) etc

Very poor.  Do journalists not have to have some command of the English language these days?

Edited by KentExile
  • Like 4

Regarding JRC. Reasons for being left out and confidence. It was said a couple of years ago that his preferred position is in CM. His appearances so far this season have been as a right sided midfielder who steps in to play centrally and as a classic CM in a 2 against Blackpool. He’s been poor on the whole and I don’t think could have many qualms over being dropped. With the horror show against Blackpool he knew he’d be dropped against them lot. A solid team performance down the road keeps him out of the team. It’s in him to work his way back in.

I don’t think he’s carrying a knock as he’s been available for selection in all games, had a full pre-season and been no reports of any injury problems. There may be other reasons we’re not aware of as to why he’s off it but on face value it appears to be form rather than physical that’s causing the issue. 

52 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Agreed - I think the good old “Brummie John” has had us all fooled. He’s tactically astute, drives the highest professional standards and importantly has the full backing of the lads.

I reckon there’s a strong chance that by next summer, the hottest property at Ewood, and the person we most want to retain at all costs, might just be our manager.

The new Gordon Lee. He left us for first division Newcastle and then Everton. That’s after getting us promoted with the usual Ewood pocket money.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, M_B said:

Ewood needs a manager Mowbray proved that.

His presence shielded the pair of clowns in head office and the owners from a lot and i think that is one of the reasons he was so sour in the last 12 months of his tenure.

Needs someone to get a grip on things, take charge and aim in the right direction because there are no leaders anywhere else in the gaff.

A Head Coach and DoF model only has a chance here if they employed a really good DoF and not a novice like Broughton but even then it's just creating more layers of confusion and money wasting, as we saw.

Eustace has solid leadership about him and seems as though he'll speak up when he has to.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Michael123458 said:

What a player is oshi fucking l what’s signing there boys sone well today. Great performance. Let’s beat knob end now 

Preston 0 2 Blackburn 

fans today at ewood 👍👍RTID

We could go top at Dumpdale.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Jansen, Santa Cruz, Benni, Yakubu, there have been many tbf.

Never forget jansen's debut goal against spurs. I was sat behind the goal when jansen was in front of sol Campbell and he flicked the ball up and volleyed it past I think Ian walker. Everyone in the Blackburn end just stared at each other in amazement 

• Like 5

A really solid team performance regardless of the opposition.

Yuki stole the show with two quality goals but so many other good individual performances contributed to the result. 

When you hear the fans in the Riverside starting the chanting you know we have the start of something special (wasn’t me!).

• Like 4

• Backroom
3 hours ago, Forever Blue said:

It’s noticeable from that clip just how quick Yuki is over a short distance. When he cut inside on to his left just before the shot he left the defender for dead. 

I’m glad his teammates had the nous (or were they just in awe of the goal?) to let him have his own moment in front of the BBE after crowding him for his first goal.

• Like 3

The riverside masssive waking up for anything other than a Burnley game is truly something rare 🤣

On the great finishes subject i think most of us could write a book and good as they were Yukis wouldn't be in the top 10 but he's a cracking little finisher no doubt about that.

Great signing and we will now sell a few shirts in Japan !

1 minute ago, tomphil said:

The riverside masssive waking up for anything other than a Burnley game is truly something rare 🤣

On the great finishes subject i think most of us could write a book and good as they were Yukis wouldn't be in the top 10 but he's a cracking little finisher no doubt about that.

Great signing and we will now sell a few shirts in Japan !

That was a good pair of finishes though, not just one.