BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Bristol City (h) - 14/9/2024

1 hour ago, KentExile said:

As well as terms like "top draw" (as an article headline no less!), "chomping at the bit" (in the very recent past) etc

Very poor.  Do journalists not have to have some command of the English language these days?

Yes,I noticed that one! Illiterate.

• Like 1

Comfortable win with 2 great goals.

I've just watched highlights of the Bolton thrashing and yet another goal conceded by tippy tappy, this one, Hudds 4th, is extreme.

I watch a lot of games and highlights and barely a game goes by without such a goal or very near miss.

Surely the stats by now show that it's actually not a good idea to feck around like this.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Forever Blue said:

It’s noticeable from that clip just how quick Yuki is over a short distance. When he cut inside on to his left just before the shot he left the defender for dead. 

We paid £7m for Diaz who was hopeless initially, had one good season, was basically a one-trick pony (cut in from the left and curl it right-footed into the top corner). Finally ran his contract down and left us for nothing.

Now we have Ohashi, signed for peanuts, looked good and scored from the off, good in the air, quick and can cut in from the left or the right and use either foot. A deadly finisher.

Chalk and cheese.

The only worry is that Venkys will expect spectacular alar results for little outlay every time now!

They'll be having wet dreams about this bit of transfer business!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 47er said:

We paid £7m for Diaz who was hopeless initially, had one good season, was basically a one-trick pony (cut in from the left and curl it right-footed into the top corner). Finally ran his contract down and left us for nothing.

Now we have Ohashi, signed for peanuts, looked good and scored from the off, good in the air, quick and can cut in from the left or the right and use either foot. A deadly finisher.

Chalk and cheese.

The only worry is that Venkys will expect spectacular alar results for little outlay every time now!

They'll be having wet dreams about this bit of transfer business!

The lad looks like a really good finisher. Not all strikers are technically gifted but they know where the goals are.

Was expecting an underwhelming draw/defeat yesterday after some moderate excitement about recent performances and signings. How wrong I was! You will seldom see a more comfortable win! The big difference between this season and our good JDT starts is the strength in depth we suddenly have. On a shoestring, the recruitment team has performed miracles. I’m also encouraged by our new found ability to score late goals and come from behind to gain points. I hope this marks a change in our collective mental fortitude. I’ve felt for years under TM and JDT that we were mentally fragile and would always stutter when the pressure was raised. You don’t get that feeling about this team and Eustace…..Might be an interesting season! 

• Like 2

Great start to a long season. As we know anything can happen but we look like a proper championship team. Myself did not expect to see a squad with this character and desire to compete this season after first few weeks of the window. Hope the consistency carries through and we keep proving doubters wrong! We were Favourites for the drop in many pundits eyes 👀

21 minutes ago, Gamst said:

Was expecting an underwhelming draw/defeat yesterday after some moderate excitement about recent performances and signings. How wrong I was! You will seldom see a more comfortable win! The big difference between this season and our good JDT starts is the strength in depth we suddenly have. On a shoestring, the recruitment team has performed miracles. I’m also encouraged by our new found ability to score late goals and come from behind to gain points. I hope this marks a change in our collective mental fortitude. I’ve felt for years under TM and JDT that we were mentally fragile and would always stutter when the pressure was raised. You don’t get that feeling about this team and Eustace…..Might be an interesting season! 

The newfound mental fortitude you speak of shows the value of having experienced campaigners in your team. Eustace won that battle in the summer. 

A lot on here were hoodwinked in the summer with talk of ‘sell on value’ and getting upset if we were linked with anyone over the age of 24. Having a young team means fuck all if you go to pieces under pressure, as JDT found out last season. There was a reason he kept calling for experienced signings. 

Credit to Eustace for sticking to his guns. The people above will hopefully wind their necks in from now on.

There's as much chance of sell on value scouting and securing the right players with a bit of experience for low fees or frees.

What will Yuki be worth if he maintains good scoring form over the season ?

If Cantwell reinvents himself there might be a good fee there as well.

It's all about the recruitment and backing it with a bit of cash.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Comfortable win with 2 great goals.

I've just watched highlights of the Bolton thrashing and yet another goal conceded by tippy tappy, this one, Hudds 4th, is extreme.

I watch a lot of games and highlights and barely a game goes by without such a goal or very near miss.

Surely the stats by now show that it's actually not a good idea to feck around like this.

Blame it on Pep and the wannabe Peps.

• Like 2

Just now, tomphil said:

There's as much chance of sell on value scouting and securing the right players with a bit of experience for low fees or frees.

What will Yuki be worth if he maintains good scoring form over the season ?

If Cantwell reinvents himself there might be a good fee there as well.

It's all about the recruitment and backing it with a bit of cash.

Sammi was a good case in point. BBD not so. I’d love to know the thinking behind that signing.

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Sammi was a good case in point. BBD not so. I’d love to know the thinking behind that signing.

BBD was a development signing though so they were prepared to wait i think he was only 19 or something, Sammie took a while to get into it but it was a more tried and tested formula with that one.

As was Dack for league 1.

5 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Blame it on Pep and the wannabe Peps.

City are actually really dull to watch. Pass, pass, pass, pass, and then the goal machine does his thing. Really efficient, but absolutely no individuality allowed and very little flair. 

The Prem is getting increasingly bland as nearly every team plays the same way. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, KentExile said:

As well as terms like "top draw" (as an article headline no less!), "chomping at the bit" (in the very recent past) etc

Very poor.  Do journalists not have to have some command of the English language these days?

I take your wider point but 'chomping at the bit' is actually fine. Chomping or champing are both acceptable in that context.

8 minutes ago, yeti-dog said:

I take your wider point but 'chomping at the bit' is actually fine. Chomping or champing are both acceptable in that context.

Barmcakes, Teacakes. Or does that open up a whole new Tin/can of worms.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Forever Blue said:

Lots of re-writing of history going on as regards JRC. Best RB In the Championship? Come on now!

JRC is slow and can’t defend. But he suited how JDT wanted his full back to play i.e. he was good enough technically to drop into midfield in that way (JDT in-joke) that Pep popularised.

Eustace does it slightly differently in that he likes his wide midfielder to drop into central areas and the full back to bomb on down the wing (see Brittain/JRC for most matches this season and then yesterday Baker/Beck)

I see people slagging Baker saying he isn’t a winger. He isn’t but again that isn’t the role he’s being asked to play. He’s there to drag people centrally, make the extra man in midfield, and leave the flank open for Beck. JRC does the same job on the other side when Brittain is playing. 

I think JRC is a really good footballer but he isn’t suited to either full back role under Eustace. He can’t fly down the wing and play the Brittain/Beck role and he isn’t a good enough defender to play the Pickering/Carter role. 

JRC was excellent under JDT as a No8 until he got injured. 

I think its unfair to make out as many have that JRC was only so good at right back doing that very specific role, and that he couldnt play any other variation as he is so one dimensional.

He is a better one on one defender than Brittain who is really poor at stopping crosses etc. He also can get forward down the wing, he didnt only do good work in central areas. Hes not a similar player necessarily but he seems to be stronger like Emerton was with room to run into rather than getting the ball high up.

Ive never been convinced by him in a more central midfield role either. I remember him mentioning when he first played the role that he would need to adjust off the ball and I never felt that he did. 

Its not "slagging" Baker off to suggest that he isnt suited out wide and I thought he was poor yesterday. He looked like what he was, a player playing in an unfamiliar position and even the basics outside of that (set pieces, passing) were not good. Hopefully it was not something that will be repeated as we have a number of more suitable wide players either who missed out or were not considered for starts.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, tomphil said:

BBD was a development signing though so they were prepared to wait i think he was only 19 or something, Sammie took a while to get into it but it was a more tried and tested formula with that one.

As was Dack for league 1.

BBD was a “ development signing “ when we were crying out for two or three experienced pros.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Hopefully it was not something that will be repeated as we have a number of more suitable wide players either who missed out or were not considered for starts.

You’ve still misunderstood Baker’s role. He isn’t playing as a traditional wide player. 

Edited by Forever Blue
  • Like 1

Still buzzing from yesterday win. Yuki Ohashi's goals were totally class and he is cult hero already with the fan base. My dad favourite player already. 

15 hours ago, neophox said:

Think Gueye will start at Preston but Ohashi may be the gem to come of the bench and scoring some crackers...

I think Ohashi has to start against PNE on Sunday

15 hours ago, Torgeir said:

Owen Beck, sign him up please.

I agree there. Hopefully we will look at signing him permanent. 

12 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

It seems that the performances of Baker and Carter have caused the biggest split. Baker was by far our poorest performer and I really hope that Eustace doesnt see him as a wide man going forward. You could tell he wasnt comfortable there and he also played there v Burnley in totally different circumstances, but he doesnt have the attributes to play there. That being said, even his set pieces and general use of the ball was poor which cant be put down to his position. Carter I thought was very good however, even going forward and Batth slotted in very nicely too.

With Cantwell doing that failed rabona, I am wary of the fact that the game is becoming more sanitised and a lot of individuality is being taken away, especially in this data driven modern game which is to the detriment of entertainment in a lot of ways. But I did feel like it was totally unnecessary and he wasted a good opportunity.

It would be interesting to know how Rankin Costello is feeling at the moment. After lots of talk about him V Duru recently for RB cover, it was a surprise to see neither start. He hasnt suited or played well out wide but it feels like he has really dropped down the pecking order when even though Cozier Duberry wasnt considered to start, Weimann wasnt deemed fit enough to start and Sigurdsson was ill, Eustace opted for Baker there and he didnt get on. I cant help but feel like he is a talented player that we may not utilise with him becoming a utility man to his own detriment.

Baker played wide left cos of injuries and illness. How could you tell he wasn't comfortable playing from the left and moving inside allow Beck to overlap? 

Has JRC ever play right back under Eustace? You are misunderstanding his role from playing from the right cos he is moving inside and let Britain provide the width wide right. JRC has been injured from the week before the season so let him get over that and fully fit. 

Weimann has been injured for the past 2 weeks but told Eustace he could play from the bench. 

• Like 1